Boatyard/Carlisle Bay Jet Skis and Snorkeling

oliviaik

I am trying to finalize our plans for our upcoming cruise. For Barbados, I am pretty sure that we will be heading to the Boatyard. While there, we would like to rent jet skis and go snorkeling with the turtles and the shipwrecks. I have read several places that the jet ski and snorkeling vendors will often haggle with you. I was wondering how successful people have been with this. I enjoy haggling and find it fun to see how low people will go.

For the snorkeling, I have seen many people say that $20 per person is the standard price. I am assuming that is US dollars, right? Has anyone gotten them to go down to $15 per person? If so, do you remember who it was? Anyone get lower than that?

For the jet ski's, I have seen most people list $40-$50 per half hour. Anyone get down to $30-ish for a half hour? What about for an hour? Anybody get $60-$70 for an hour?

Any other haggling success stories?

• 2 weeks later...

I went to Boatyard in December 2012 and paid $20pp to snorkel with the turtles. I have seen one or two people report that they got it down to $15, but everyone I spoke to that day at the beach said they paid $20. We were the first people to arrive at the beach that day, and we decided to go out to snorkel right away, so we only had 4 or 5 people on our boat (it looked like the boats got more crowded as the day went on). If you want more info, please check out my review of the Victory from the link in my signature below (or you can look at my blog for 12/12/12, since I think the photos in the review posted on cruise critic stopped working)

Sorry, but I can't offer any info about the jet skis- they terrify me! haha

have a great cruise! :)

We just got back, paid $20 for whole family, two adults + two small kids. Kid doesn't get into the water, me and my hubby take turn to snorkel, the boat is small 'glass' boat. While walking on the beach I saw they are unloading people, so I walked up to the small yellow boat to ask the guy directly if he could take us for 20 in total, since thats all the cash my hubby had with him at the time, our bags are at boatyard's locker. I think if you cut the middle man, talk to the boat guy directly, price could be good.

Best 20 dollar spent, turtles are awesome! Kids even see turtles from the boat too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We just got back, paid $20 for whole family, two adults + two small kids. Kid doesn't get into the water, me and my hubby take turn to snorkel, the boat is small 'glass' boat. While walking on the beach I saw they are unloading people, so I walked up to the small yellow boat to ask the guy directly if he could take us for 20 in total, since thats all the cash my hubby had with him at the time, our bags are at boatyard's locker. I think if you cut the middle man, talk to the boat guy directly, price could be good.

Best 20 dollar spent, turtles are awesome! Kids even see turtles from the boat too.

Thanks for the information! I assume who you found was Neville? How do you get in and out of the boat for snorkeling? If it is a small boat, I assume you have to get in on your own power, as in, no ladder or steps? Thanks for the information! lauri

Yes, I think his name or the boat name is Neville, he would get the boat close to beach, and has ladder, where you get on and off is about knee deep and he had two boys helping him, they will help you get on and off the boat.

And I forgot to mention, he has snorkeling equipment and life jacket on his boat, and he took us to two place, one for turtle the other is a ship wreck site for lots of fish. I asked why turtles knows to stay at the turtle site not the ship wreck site, he said those turtle gets feed there, so they know to stay there.

Yes, I think his name or the boat name is Neville, he would get the boat close to beach, and has ladder, where you get on and off is about knee deep and he had two boys helping him, they will help you get on and off the boat.

And I forgot to mention, he has snorkeling equipment and life jacket on his boat, and he took us to two place, one for turtle the other is a ship wreck site for lots of fish. I asked why turtles knows to stay at the turtle site not the ship wreck site, he said those turtle gets feed there, so they know to stay there.

When you snorkel the shipwrecks, how do you get back in the boat? I assume it is much deeper there. Does his ladder hang on the side of the boat? I am not a small girl and would be horrified being hauled into the boat by a bunch of guys! I experienced a similiar incident in St Lucia. Spencer, the tour guide, basically lifted me out of the water and onto the boat by the armpits like you would pick up a child. Man, that guy was strong but I can just imagine what the others on the boat were thinking! I was horrified and had I known, I never would have gotten off the boat at that spot! We are thinking of swimming to the turtles so I am trying to understand the situation with Neville and his boat! I think there are other boats that take you to see the turtles that may be larger and have an easier way to get back on the boat.

Thanks for your help and welcome to Cruise Critic!

Lauri

The ladder is at the front of the boat, its normal size ladder, I remember you do have to pull yourself a bit when getting on to the boat ladder, and i am not sure if the bigger boat has easier way to getting on/off. Unless you are a very good swimmer and has floating device, I wouldn't suggest swim to turtle site.

The ladder is at the front of the boat, its normal size ladder, I remember you do have to pull yourself a bit when getting on to the boat ladder, and i am not sure if the bigger boat has easier way to getting on/off. Unless you are a very good swimmer and has floating device, I wouldn't suggest swim to turtle site.

Thanks for clarifying! I am glad to hear there is a ladder to use. I have no problem at all with climbing a ladder. We may check out the area and then decide to swim it or not. We are both very strong swimmers. I have 2 natural buoys ;-) so couldn't sink if I wanted too! Thanks for your info! Lauri