car seats needed at Mazatlan, Cabo San Lucas, Puerto Vallarta?

professor_todd

This is my first time cruising with my kids, aged 2 and 6.

We'll be driving our own car to the port in Los Angeles. Should we leave our car seats in our minivan or take them on the ship?

My 6 year old has a "bubble bumb" for travel so that is pretty small. My 2 year old has a big car seat.

Other family members have told me that there is no taxi / car traveling at Cabo San Lucas or Mazatlan. We can take public buses or the boat to the island.

I'm not sure if we need a taxi at Puerto Vallarta.

We weren't planning on any expensive excursions.

What would you recommend?

It really depends on what you plan to do. I'd research it in advance, plan & then decide. We've cruised with DD (at 2 & at 3) twice and have never taken a car seat. We either did not get off the ship or did not do anything that required car travel (walking, water taxi). Had we planned to drive or take a taxi we would have taken something (a car seat last year or a bubble bum this year as DD is nearly 4, 40 lbs & 42 inches).

Cabo you can take a water taxi or a long walk into town, shop just at the pier or take a whale-watching or party cruise from the pier. The water taxis we took required getting out into the water a little, so not good if you have a big stroller, lots of stuff, etc.

Puerto Vallarta - it's been awhile, but quite a few times we walked to the Krystal Resort which was wonderful - beach, pool, kids pool, playground, showers, etc.

Mazatlan - I never saw anything that didn't require taxi service. Even many of the ship tours were in individual taxis. Maybe ask on the ports of call board.

Best,

Mia

Edited by Kerry's Girls

Leave them, they will be in your way not to mention cumbersome.

In Cabo we always walk around town and sometimes take a bus.

The last time we went to PV we went to The Crown Paradise AI resort and got a day pass. You can almost throw rocks at the ship from it, it is that close. Highly recommend it by the way. Has a children's water park and play ground as well as beach chairs with shade, food, drinks and adult areas. http://www.hotelcrownparadisepuertovallarta.com

Only went to Mazatlan pre-children so can't comment.

The last time we went to PV we went to The Crown Paradise AI resort and got a day pass. You can almost throw rocks at the ship from it, it is that close. Highly recommend it by the way. Has a children's water park and play ground as well as beach chairs with shade, food, drinks and adult areas. http://www.hotelcrownparadisepuertovallarta.com

OT but, do you recall how much the day passes were?

We'll be there in April and the Waterpark look like it would be tons of fun for my 19 month old.

It's been 10 years since I went to Mazatlan, but I seem to remember that we were driven in golf carts from the port to beach.

FWIW, I'm not planning on bringing the carseat for my 19 month old. But I don't plan on doing anything that needs a taxi/car. When I've had to use public transportation, I wear my son in an Ergo.