Digital camera-Is sand on beach a problem? How to avoid?

lilmsonry

How to avoid the sand in the camera and harming it, so please don't tell me it is easy, leave it at home ;)! I want to take my cameras to port, is this a real problem? What about the humidity on the beach, if there is any. What do you do? Somewhere I read or heard to put it in a sandwich baggie...have you done this? I searched for a thread on this, but somehow, didn't find one. I would appreciate any hints, tips, etc. on how to get great shots without hurting or ruining :eek: my camera. You people have all helped me so much, I really appreciate all the help I have gotten from the boards, which is massive! Thank you ahead of time! Happy sail to all!

Ziplock baggies work for keeping sand and water out fairly well. Keeping it in a soft camera case inside of that baggie is a really good idea - just one more layer of protection against the elements and being banged around.

Aside from that, just be careful, take lots of pictures, and have a wonderful cruise!

Everybody is on the right track.......Ziploc Baggies do it for me too. :)

I haven't had any problems with the humidity in my digital, but have heard others speak of "climatizing" the camera by bringing it out of cold rooms gradually (wrapping a towel etc. until the camera gets used to the change in humidity). Make sense ? ( didn't to me either :D )

I bought a soft carring case for my camera and it worked fine. Just kept the case in our beach bag until I wanted it, then again once I take mine out of it's case I can easily put it in my pocket, it's not much bigger than a pack of ciggeretts but I never had any trouble with the sand. I have an Olympus Stylus 300, nothing fancy but it worked great.

Probably don't want to shoot pictures through a baggy unless you want the pictures to look like they were shot through a baggy, but it would work.

Baggys aren't really waterproof, so I wouldn't try that for snorkeling.

Salt water will really kill the camera. Sand can be blown out with compressed air.

If you do somehow flood the camera, the memory cards are pretty robust, so your pictures should still be ok once you dry the card out.

Archived