Norovirus Outbreak Contained on Princess Cruises Ship

LauraS

Anyone have thought on the sources of all these norovirus outbreaks? i kind of think it might have to do with the cruise lines hiring so many from third world countries that have lower awareness of modern sanitation practices........any feelings yea or nea?

Michael

Check out the latest UK News from Cruise Critic:

Norovirus Outbreak Contained on Princess Cruises Ship

Continue reading for more details news?d=yIl2AUoC8zA news?d=qj6IDK7rITs

ix-_mSdbnMA

More...

Anyone have thought on the sources of all these norovirus outbreaks? i kind of think it might have to do with the cruise lines hiring so many from third world countries that have lower awareness of modern sanitation practices........any feelings yea or nea?

Michael

Nea. Sanitation is high on the list for the crew. Of course this is second hand information BUT I've read that any food handler caught a second time for not washing their hands is fired. I highly suspect hand washing is also stressed to all the crew, and any that are sick are immediately quarantined.

It is in the best interest of the cruise line not to have the crew spread any kind of virus. They do not want sick passengers and the crew has to work extra hard to clean and sanitize once there is an outbreak.

Edited by iheartbda

i can see that it is in the best interest of the cruise lines but people are can be lazy and it seems to me more likely that when all of a sudden hunderds of people get sick that you look at a common source like a food handler that might be lazy, not washing after using the facilities. seems more likely then hundreds of people causing the problem. I am in healthcare and that is really where I would look....not sure there is really an answer to the issue though as long as service is done by people...there will be those that are lax in washing.

Michael

Nea. Sanitation is high on the list for the crew. Of course this is second hand information BUT I've read that any food handler caught a second time for not washing their hands is fired. I highly suspect hand washing is also stressed to all the crew, and any that are sick are immediately quarantined.

It is in the best interest of the cruise line not to have the crew spread any kind of virus. They do not want sick passengers and the crew has to work extra hard to clean and sanitize once there is an outbreak.

thinking on it further ...perhaps the lines could investigate to see if the people ate some of the same foods, if might be possible to see if it leads back to one person ( or narrowing it to a small group) preparing specific food items. has anyone been involved in a noro outbreak?...I mean actually had it?...did the lines ask any questions like that? or just isolate the infected?

Michael