Buenos Aires shuttles from port to the city center; and USD for taxis?

Gary K

Are there usually shuttles for cruises from the port to the city center? By car, I think it would take about 10 minutes. Or are taxis the only option to get out of the port?

And regarding taxis, how often do they accept USD? Or should I be prepared to bring enough pesos for my taxi trips? Are there places that have reasonable exchange rates at the port?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Gary K

Not sure about shuttles from the port. The cruise terminal was rather small compared to most we have seen. Unless the cruise line had a shuttle, I doubt if there are any shuttles.

Taxis are cheap in Buenos Aires. We never tried to pay in dollars, but if you do, I would ask before you get in the taxi.

The port is not that far from where you could access the subway system, but you might not want to walk through the area.

Not sure where you could find a Blue market peso exchange, but my bet would be that you could talk a taxi driver into taking dollars. Should not be more than $10.

Princess offers a shuttle service to downtown for a nominal fee. Not sure about other cruise lines.

Taxis from the port are not the same as taxis in town. The port, including both the cruise and ferry ports, are controlled by what is affectionately called the "taxi mafia". Expect to pay well above the rate you would be charged by a regular metered taxi. And, yes, from the dock they will certainly take dollars, happily and more of them than one might expect...though still not exorbitant by international standards.

The best bet is to arrange for a remise (private car) or regular taxi to pick you up. You will need to make prior arrangements for either of these options.

Just as I would not expect a taxi in the US to accept foreign currency I would not expect that to happen in BA. HOWEVER, if they do you should know you are going to get the worst possible exchange rate and any "change" will BE in local currency.

Just as I would not expect a taxi in the US to accept foreign currency I would not expect that to happen in BA. HOWEVER, if they do you should know you are going to get the worst possible exchange rate and any "change" will BE in local currency.

Your comment ignores the fact that the US Dollar is still the World's reserve currency and that the Argentine Peso is even challenged in its own country by a huge thriving Black market (Blue).

The peso trades on the black market at nearly double the official rate, so paying in dollars might even save you some dollars. Of course, you will be at a disadvantage, unless you negotiate the rate in dollars prior to leaving the port.