What's with the piano?

OctoberKat

That's fine. I might agree with you.

But remember that we are still talking about Mass Market here.

When Chevrolet designs a car or when a cruise line designs their product, they rarely ask what OctoberKat or BruceMuzz might prefer.

Instead they intelligently ask what 95% of the demographic that might buy that product would like.

That's why we have the piano.

I'm uncertain this is the case. When Cadillac designs a car, it does beaucoup market research to determine customer expectations and desires. I expect the cruise lines also explore their client base with market research. Perhaps it is flawed or results are not attended. I can't imagine scores of past and future guests of means clamor for a baby grand piano, even a self playing one such.

Edited by OctoberKat

I'm uncertain this is the case. When Cadillac designs a car, it does beaucoup market research to determine customer expectations and desires. I expect the cruise lines also explore their client base with market research. Perhaps it is flawed or results are not attended. I can't imagine scores of past and future guests of means clamor for a baby grand piano, even a self playing one such.

My employers spend many millions of dollars every year on market research not only to determine what our target customers want today - but what they and our future target customers will want 10 and 20 years from now.

I often fail to agree with the results - but I stand in awe of the accuracy of their predictions.

Could it just be that I - and you - are not in that desired target market?

My employers spend many millions of dollars every year on market research not only to determine what our target customers want today - but what they and our future target customers will want 10 and 20 years from now.

I often fail to agree with the results - but I stand in awe of the accuracy of their predictions.

Could it just be that I - and you - are not in that desired target market?

Of course I and possibly you may not reside in the targeted demographic but my guess is baby boomers and succeeding generations won't be much into pianos in their upscale suites. Poor market research? Inability of mgt to attend findings? Who knows.

Of course I and possibly you may not reside in the targeted demographic but my guess is baby boomers and succeeding generations won't be much into pianos in their upscale suites. Poor market research? Inability of mgt to attend findings? Who knows.

For the past decade or so, those suites with grand pianos sell out quicker than any other category on the ship for nearly every voyage.

Are the pianos responsible? Or just coincidentally there?

I don't think anyone knows for sure. Nor do we really care.

So long as those pricey cabins keep selling out so quickly, my bosses probably will not be asking too many questions. The pianos will stay and more suites with pianos will be built. For whatever reasons, the formula is working very well.

Now if those suites ever stop selling so quickly, you can be sure that the people in the Head Office will be investigating every possible detail as to why.

It's telling that the piano suites are found in the top suites of mass-market cruise lines rather than on the luxury lines.

But the luxury lines are usually smaller ships and maybe they don't want to "waste" space with a grand piano that their demographic doesn't want.

Just so. There must be a way to still my inner snob ... silence perhaps.

It seems easy to me. :)

Don't book the suite that has features you don't like. Book the cabin that suits you best.

If having the piano in your suite would be so disturbing, why subject yourself to it?

You'll hopefully find a way to quiet your inner snob. ;)

It seems easy to me. :)

Don't book the suite that has features you don't like. Book the cabin that suits you best.

If having the piano in your suite would be so disturbing, why subject yourself to it?

You'll hopefully find a way to quiet your inner snob. ;)

Of course I would not book such a suite but I reserve the right to address the issue. Sadly, the inner snob is mouthy.

How about a private charter? Some of those yachts for hire are fabulous. Maybe that would appeal? A yacht, a Captain, a Chef, stewards/stewardesses....... you, your friends or family? Your choice of itinerary and amount of time in ports etc :D Wouldn't be all bad!

Edited by sail7seas

How about a private charter? Some of those yachts for hire are fabulous. Maybe that would appeal? A yacht, a Captain, a Chef, stewards/stewardesses....... you, your friends or family? Your choice of itinerary and amount of time in ports etc :D Wouldn't be all bad!

Too much organizing and then I'd have no one to blame but myself. In any case sea-going ships smaller than 400 passengers need not apply. And, I don't have that many friends, imagine!

Edited by OctoberKat

Of course I would not book such a suite but I reserve the right to address the issue. Sadly, the inner snob is mouthy.

Octoberkat,

I have exactly the same problem. Always gets me into trouble.

Probably stems from my growing up on Russian Hill in San Francisco, three doors away from the Hearsts.

You wouldn't be part of the "bridge and tunnel crowd", would you?

Tough to live in the 'burbs....................

Octoberkat,

I have exactly the same problem. Always gets me into trouble.

Probably stems from my growing up on Russian Hill in San Francisco, three doors away from the Hearsts.

You wouldn't be part of the "bridge and tunnel crowd", would you?

Tough to live in the 'burbs....................

I was enjoying this thread. Waiting for an answer from the OP to your question?

Why? Such a 1950s ethos.

Some of us are products of the 50's ... And, going to the base of the word "ethos", the Greeks used the word to refer to the power of music to influence its hearer's emotions, behaviours, and even morals. So, what could be more appropriate? :D

Edited by Calgon1

Some of us are products of the 50's ... And, going to the base of the word "ethos", the Greeks used the word to refer to the power of music to influence its hearer's emotions, behaviours, and even morals. So, what could be more appropriate? :D

Oh, well played, a chord above!

In a Penthouse Suite on Celebrity, one afternoon the butler arrived with coffee while I was playing the piano. He looked like he had never seen that before. As others have said, they are also set up as Player Pianos.

He probably hadn't.:D

There's something about a grand piano playing all by itself that strikes a bad chord for me and drives me up a wall.:p