Anyone ever book a group cruise thru their Carnival PVP?

CRocks

I'm an officer in our local HOG (Harley Owners Group) chapter + we're thinking of plannin a group cruise for Feb 2016. From what I understand, cruise prices remain the same but credits are given for every 8 cabins booked. Another officer knows a travel agent + they're promising us shuttles, credits, + other perks. Is this possible, I thought Carnival could not be undersold. Also, any idea how much credit per 8 cabins booked. We'd divy up the savings among the members, so I just want an idea of what we're talkin about. I'm aware of the "HOGs on the High Seas" cruise, but very pricey + I'd like to stay with Carnival.

We have booked a group through my PVP once. You won't get any perks though unless you go through Carnival's groups department though.

If you book directly with Carnival groups department they may offer you exactly what that TA was offering .

I've put together about 8 groups. Usually you need 8 paid cabins to get a free berth. At low peak sailings the number can be 5 cabins. This money is refunded about 6 weeks after the cruise. Some TAs will front the money, dividing it up for OBC, knowing that they'll get it back shortly. The free berth is based on the most frequently booked cabin. So if the majority booked OV, that's what will be refunded.

Each cruise has a certain amount of Amenity Points available. Using these gets the gimmees. Gimmees include things like OBC, wine, cocktail parties, logo gifts, extra commission for the TA, etc. More can be purchased if needed.

Group pricing is good for locking in a price. Many times other fares are cheaper. These cheaper fares might or might not be eligible for being in a group. There can be up to 20 different fares for any sailing. Not all can be used in a group booking.

In our group we've had people book outside the group and had them linked with the group for dining.

Edited by SadieN

I've put together about 8 groups. Usually you need 8 paid cabins to get a free berth. At low peak sailings the number can be 5 cabins. This money is refunded about 6 weeks after the cruise. Some TAs will front the money, dividing it up for OBC, knowing that they'll get it back shortly. The free berth is based on the most frequently booked cabin. So if the majority booked OV, that's what will be refunded.

Each cruise has a certain amount of Amenity Points available. Using these gets the gimmees. Gimmees include things like OBC, wine, cocktail parties, logo gifts, extra commission for the TA, etc. More can be purchased if needed.

Group pricing is good for locking in a price. Many times other fares are cheaper. These cheaper fares might or might not be eligible for being in a group. There can be up to 20 different fares for any sailing. Not all can be used in a group booking.

In our group we've had people book outside the group and had them linked with the group for dining.

Just to clarify a few items - the rate for the TC (tour conductor) or free berth is now based on the average cruise fare paid by the group, not the most frequently booked category. Keep in mind that the "free berth" is based on only the cruise fare (base amount for the cruise minus the port charges) AND is usually reduced again by the amount of money that would have been paid commission. This can reduce the amount expected significantly, that is why I wanted to let you know.

Also, although you need 8 cabins to get a free berth, you can get the amenities with only 5 cabins.

FWIW, I would recommend going with the TA, so long as they have extensive experience dealing with cruises AND group cruises. The pricing you will pay will be the same as going directly through Carnival, but it will be less hassle for the organizer. ALSO, make sure the TA does not have any hidden fees, such as cancellation and/or change fees. Finally, if they are offering shuttle service, they are probably planning on adding that cost onto the cruise fare. Get a detailed breakdown of what the charges are and make sure you agree with them. You may be able to arrange for transportation less expensively on your own, or people may want to drive themselves.

Edited by jakesnana