latest on bringing wine aboard

mjmme

On our last cruise with Oceania 2 years ago, we brought a case of wine onboard with luggage, then paid a $10 corkage fee at dinner. Is this still the same policy? Anyone recently get stopped having it sent in with luggage?

We found it no problem to bring wine aboard. You can do so in your luggage or as hand carry on. We also found that as we made it through each of our Med stops and picked up wine during excursions, we had no problem bringing it on board.

This wine has to be consumed in your stateroom which is no problem, but if you want to bring it to dinner, then the $20 corkage fee applies.

You can buy some really nice wines depending on what ports you stop at and we found (after buying a number of bottles while in Tuscany) that paying the $20 corkage was not out of the question. While the corkage fee is high, enjoying a bottle with a lot of memories depending on the winery we went to, was worth the $20 fee (and worth not trying to haul all of it back home).

We purchased two bottles of local wine in Corfu for four euros each last summer when sailing Insignia. We drank them both (with friends) that night at Tapas, and Oceania waived the $20 corkage fee. I guess they realized how that would have spoiled our glee that such cheap wine was so delicious.

They even provided appropriate wine glasses. Nicely done, FDR.

PS Looking forward to Regatta and the Baltics. We are on the Aug 31 sailing, and we are almost packed.

John

From Recent Oceania "Currents":

"Oceania Alcohol Policy

Oceania Cruises cordially requests that alcoholic beverages purchased ashore not be consumed in the public areas. We thank you for your undertsanding and cooperation"

I agree with Oceania in asking that the wines/spirits which you bring on board should not be consumed in "public areas." I must say that I appreciate their allowing me to bring some liquor on board for my personal consumption in my stateroom while preparing for dinner. Other lines do not do this, and this is one of the many reasons that I appreciate Oceania. They respect their passengers. We certainly spend more dollars for their wines at our meals than what we consume in our staterooms.

Oceania is truly a class line--what else would you expect with the Watters/del Rio combination.

• 4 weeks later...
I agree with Oceania in asking that the wines/spirits which you bring on board should not be consumed in "public areas." I must say that I appreciate their allowing me to bring some liquor on board for my personal consumption in my stateroom while preparing for dinner. Other lines do not do this, and this is one of the many reasons that I appreciate Oceania. They respect their passengers. We certainly spend more dollars for their wines at our meals than what we consume in our staterooms.

Oceania is truly a class line--what else would you expect with the Watters/del Rio combination.

We have been on 6 cruises and all of them have let us bring alcohol aboard with us at the beginning of each cruise. Only one Radisson let us bring alcohol on board at the ports.

We have been on 6 cruises and all of them have let us bring alcohol aboard with us at the beginning of each cruise. Only one Radisson let us bring alcohol on board at the ports.

We always bring some wine aboard and usually buy a bottle or two in ports if we're in Europe. We've sailed on Celebrity, Princess, NCL, HAL and Oceania. Never had any tell us not to BYO for personal consumption in cabin and and a corkage fee in Dining Room.

We also bring a bottle of vodka with us to enjoy in our own cabin. Princess made it easy by allowing us to pre-order a bottle before our cruise and it was waiting in our cabin for us upon arrival. They charged about $2.00 over duty free and a lot less than our local liquor store. Win/Win - they made some money, we saved some money. Choice of Absolut or Grey Goose.

I'm glad Oceania doesn't mind, but they're not the only cruiseline to do that.

However, Oceania offered a wonderful Shiraz in the dining room that was about $30.00 a bottle, so we consumed quite a few of those during our two cruises. :)

Why is it that there's so much chit chat in the General Discussions section about how to sneak liquor on board by putting it in mouthwash bottles and such and concealing it in checked luggage and a warning that at least one cruise line xrays the luggage and pages you so that you can remove it? Is it just a cruise myth?

Just curious. I'm not much of a drinker, though I do manage to put away a lot of Diet Coke.

On NCL last Feb.(So. Amer. cruise), They did xray our carry on bags. This was done on embarkation and on arival back to ship at every port. Yes, prople went to great lengths to smuggle it aboard---some successful, some not. All most prople want is a drink in their cabin or on their balcony. Again a cruise line not being customer friendly.

Archived