Oasis of the Seas 12/6 to 12/13

Smiley4

Just off the Oasis of the Seas yesterday. I'm not much for doing reviews but if anyone has any questions, I will be happy to try and answer them. I'm a diamond member, almost diamond plus so I have a lot of experience with RCCL. This was my 3rd time on the Oasis.

Happy sailing.

Was yours the sailing that had to make two trips back to Port Everglades for medical emergencies? I am just curious if you were able to make it to Labadee on time?

We only made one trip back, we were there till 11 or a little later, we made all ports just fine

Edited by setsail

Leaving this Friday for Sat. 12/20 embarkation... Sooo excited and so many questions!

Welcome back!

Dining recommendations? Anything good in the MDR we have to order? What were your favorite meals and drinks?

Favorite spot to lounge onboard?

Best port experience? (Western, yes?)

Three things I must pack that I may not be thinking about?

Muchas gracias!

Julie

Just off the Oasis of the Seas yesterday. I'm not much for doing reviews but if anyone has any questions, I will be happy to try and answer them. I'm a diamond member, almost diamond plus so I have a lot of experience with RCCL. This was my 3rd time on the Oasis.

Happy sailing.

If you did a western, would you happen to have the compasses to post please? We will be sailing on her Jan 3rd. We've done allure twice but things appear to be a bit different for oasis since dry-dock.

How did this trip differ for you then the other sailings on oasis?

Thanks,

Gail

Yes, this was the cruise that had to go back twice to Ft Lauderdale on December 6th. The first was for a fall and the second was for a natural causes death onboard. A guy was also arrested and taken off in handcuffs for domestic violence. The first trip only went back to the pilot and the second all the way back to the port where we stayed until after midnight. We did make all of our ports on time. It didn't effect the cruise at all. The ship just sailed faster. Obviously extra time is built in for issues that arise. This was the most eventful beginning of a cruise that I've ever had.

I don't have any of the western compasses but they didn't seem to change much since before the dry dock. I did this cruise in March of 2013 and Dec 2013 and everything appeared the same. This trip wasn't much different for me other than the first night.

I ate in the mdr 5 nights. Went to Chops for 1 formal night and the wind jammer for the other. I thought the food was very good in all of them but I eat anything that doesn't eat me. My waiter and asst waiter were excellent. I had the 6 pm seating.

3 things to pack that you might not think of are a light for the room in the middle of the night, a hi liter for the compass and 2 dollar bills to tip the room service and room steward people with in addition to the already included tips. It makes a significant difference in your cruise experience once they know you're the 2 dollar bill tipper.

I did not try Izumi but spoke to people who did and they enjoyed it. I thought the beds were comfortable. They have an egg crate on them that made them extra comfortable. The weather was great throughout the trip. A little windy 1 day but other than that, no issues at all.

Yes, this was the cruise that had to go back twice to Ft Lauderdale on December 6th. The first was for a fall and the second was for a natural causes death onboard. A guy was also arrested and taken off in handcuffs for domestic violence. The first trip only went back to the pilot and the second all the way back to the port where we stayed until after midnight. We did make all of our ports on time. It didn't effect the cruise at all. The ship just sailed faster. Obviously extra time is built in for issues that arise. This was the most eventful beginning of a cruise that I've ever had.

I don't have any of the western compasses but they didn't seem to change much since before the dry dock. I did this cruise in March of 2013 and Dec 2013 and everything appeared the same. This trip wasn't much different for me other than the first night.

I ate in the mdr 5 nights. Went to Chops for 1 formal night and the wind jammer for the other. I thought the food was very good in all of them but I eat anything that doesn't eat me. My waiter and asst waiter were excellent. I had the 6 pm seating.

3 things to pack that you might not think of are a light for the room in the middle of the night, a hi liter for the compass and 2 dollar bills to tip the room service and room steward people with in addition to the already included tips. It makes a significant difference in your cruise experience once they know you're the 2 dollar bill tipper.

I did not try Izumi but spoke to people who did and they enjoyed it. I thought the beds were comfortable. They have an egg crate on them that made them extra comfortable. The weather was great throughout the trip. A little windy 1 day but other than that, no issues at all.

Thank you!

Happy sailing.

See anything funny happen?

I usually go to the bank about a week before my cruise and try to order 40 or 50 dollars worth of crisp, brand new 2 dollar bills. It's free to order. I usually leave a 2 dollar bill on the sink when I leave the cabin in the morning and again when I leave for dinner at night. I also order room service breakfast everyday, use that as my wake up call, and tip a 2 dollar bill then as well as any other time I order room service. Same thing with using my diamond drink coupons throughout the ship at night. It's amazing how after the first time you do it, th bartenders come a running, the next time you're up for a drink. I've had great luck with my orders. Never late, always prompt and always inquisitive about what a 2 dollar bill is.

It's amazing how many staffers on the ship have never seen one.

We are sailing the Oasis this week in 2015 (12/5 - 12/12) -- was thinking there *might* be less kids (after Thanksgiving, but a couple weeks before Christmas). What was your take on the amount of kids? Obviously this ship will attract plenty of families, I just don't want to be overwhelmed with kids. And I know, too, of course (before anyone points it out) that from week to week and year to year, there's no telling. Just trying to get a sense of what we *might* get for same week in 2015.

We are sailing the Oasis this week in 2015 (12/5 - 12/12) -- was thinking there *might* be less kids (after Thanksgiving, but a couple weeks before Christmas). What was your take on the amount of kids? Obviously this ship will attract plenty of families, I just don't want to be overwhelmed with kids. And I know, too, of course (before anyone points it out) that from week to week and year to year, there's no telling. Just trying to get a sense of what we *might* get for same week in 2015.

My GF is on Indy now and says she hears kids running the halls in the night and there are quite a lot on board.

Birdlord,

You picked a great time to go. I may book that same cruise as you. It's between T'giving and Xmas and has had the least amount of kids onboard that I've ever sailed with. Schools in most parts aren't yet out. I've cruised this same week, 5 straight years now.

Birdlord,

You picked a great time to go. I may book that same cruise as you. It's between T'giving and Xmas and has had the least amount of kids onboard that I've ever sailed with. Schools in most parts aren't yet out. I've cruised this same week, 5 straight years now.

SO so happy to hear that !!! I had a gut feeling about this week in particular. We did a cruise about 14 years ago the week AFTER T-giving, and that was pretty good too - but I figure this week might even be better. I am really excited about Oasis. I am not ashamed to admit I love the mega ships and all the glitz!

Birdlord,

Be excited, look forward to it. That's a great way to be. I've sailed on almost all RCCL ships in all classes and by far the Oasis is my favorite. So much to do, so many different places to eat, even if you only want free options and so many places to hide yourself if you want some peace and quiet. I found a new spot this week, deck 4, the track level, all the way forward. Complete peace and quiet, several chairs to lounge in and nobody was there for almost 2 hours except an occasional walker or jogger that went by.

I can't wait for Oasis 3 to come out in 2016. Fort Lauderdale is an excellent place to depart from because it's minutes from the airport unlike Port Canaveral.

Birdlord,

Be excited, look forward to it. That's a great way to be. I've sailed on almost all RCCL ships in all classes and by far the Oasis is my favorite. So much to do, so many different places to eat, even if you only want free options and so many places to hide yourself if you want some peace and quiet. I found a new spot this week, deck 4, the track level, all the way forward. Complete peace and quiet, several chairs to lounge in and nobody was there for almost 2 hours except an occasional walker or jogger that went by.

I can't wait for Oasis 3 to come out in 2016. Fort Lauderdale is an excellent place to depart from because it's minutes from the airport unlike Port Canaveral.

EXCELLENT. I just love those little private/quiet spots. Amazing that a ship that size still has those nooks and crannies. If you book and see a red head sitting in one of those chairs on Deck 4 forward, you know it's me! :-)

Birdlord,

Pretty sure you're talking about the jogging track on Deck 5 right? If so the chairs are aft not forward. On the forward side is the entrance to the Vitality Gym which is up a flight of stairs.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app