Star to Mexico - Any Mexican food?

knippsel

We have booked a food tour in Puerto Vallarta, really looking forward to it. I was not expecting any authentic or even really yummy "Mexican" food on board. I was just wondering if they do anything like food, music, themes (fiesta), etc... that are destination related? Such as the Hawaiian cruises that have a lot of cultural events... Just curious. : )

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Do any of you who have cruised on the Star to Mexico recently recall any Mexican food being offered on board? (Other than the occasional guacamole and chips...) We're hoping the new destination-themed menus have made it out west.

I remember 10 years ago (last time I went to Mexico) both on the Sapphire and Diamond, they had very good Mexician food setup outside the HC and it was very good. Reading other comments, I guess they stopped it. My DW and I are sailing to Mexico next year on the Ruby, and we will miss it. We took the Star to Hawaii from SFO, and we were hoping to see another setup, we were disappointed.

That's kind of narrow-minded don't you think? There may be a problem with the water, but I've never heard of anyone getting sick from the food...:rolleyes:

Hi,

Many of my friends and myself have gotten "tourista" at one time or another when we used to go to Mexico, but that was due to our own negligence of not adhering to certain rules.

Anything cooked was fine.

Any raw veggies and certain fruits were a big no-no!

Any fruit that grew on a tree and that could be peeled was fine

Vine fruits, watermelon, et cet, tomatoes (raw) onions,

And unpurified water were the culprits

And the lettuce, stay away from the lettuce.

I got careless only one time and paid the price for many weeks:eek:

Edited by 4cats4me

Help me out here, when did a frittata fall into the classification of Mexican food?

Now wouldn't all food made and eaten in Mexico/ Baja be Mexican food? Now that I made you laugh and say ayyyyyyy, consider eating at The Office in Cabo. Amazing food, great breakfast menu, including a lobster omelet that is not on the menu. It is right on Medano Beach. In Vallarta, there are too many to mention, including great food carts. But for general tastes try the River Cafe in the Rio Cuale. Don' t forget to try a paleta, or ice cream while in Vallarta.

I agree that everyone should eat at the River Café if they have a chance. Wonderful view and very good food. And, they don't serve watered down margaritas.

Princess doesn't know the meaning of spicy.

I'm pleased to report that a number of Princess' Indian dishes (particularly in the HC) have recently been hottened up to a decent degree of burn. (The samosas could use help, though.) And the Mexican pizza (I know, I know) at Alfredo's on the Coral was chockablock with jalapeños, qualifying as "pretty damn hot."

Speaking of Alfredo's, at the Coral Chef's Dinner, Alfredo Marzi, Master Chef of all Princess, expressed a disdain for Indian food, IMO one of the world's greatest cuisines, because the taste of basic ingredients were often overshadowed by spices. He did express admiration for Vietnamese, though strangely, except for a handful of Thai dishes, I don't recall seeing Southeast Asian stuff on the menus.

I guess some people might be concerned how the food was cooked and would not want to take the chance of getting sick. After all it is Mexico. And it could be that since they already paid for the cruise with food why spend the extra money so the reason for the original question.

We have eaten Mexican food in Cabo and we've never gotten sick. We ate specifically at Captain Tony's. The chips and salsa were very good along with refried beans. There's other offerings as well like fresh fish, tacos, etc. They are reasonably priced and their Margaritas are good!