Another question about Chankannab

mcase131

Hi,

I would like to know if anyone has booked the dolphin excursion with RCCL at Chankannab.

I have checked both sites. Chankannab is $119 US for adults ( includes snorkeling, buffet and park entrance.

RCCL is $115.00, includes transportation and park fee. Other than the buffet (which I am not interested in) it would seem that RCCL is a pretty good price.

Am I missing something? Previous threads say it is better to book directly with Chankannab Park.

Thank you in advance

The actual price is much less if you book online through the Chankanaab site. It also depends on the package. We are doing the dolphin swim adventure, it includes the dolphins, 15 min with manatees, lunch and park admission. The price was $89.25 a person. I got this by using the chat help feature on the website.

We also liked that we could just get a cab and not have to be on the same schedule as a big tour. My understanding is that a taxi is about $12 each way.

I think for that dolphin package it was something like $179 through Royal Caribbean. Just be sure you are comparing the same things. Also, it depends on if you are sharing a cab between two or more people.

Edited by SLScouple

I think I am here is what RCCL includes

Dolphin Swim: Take a joyous boogie board ride, swim with, and even kiss a beautiful and friendly dolphin.

Manatee Interaction: Interact with the rarely accessible manatee in deeper water.

Sea Lion Show: Watch this hilarious and loveable animal perform for you. Also includes taxi and entrance fee.

$115.25 Canadian Hope I am not missing anything.

I think I am here is what RCCL includes

Dolphin Swim: Take a joyous boogie board ride, swim with, and even kiss a beautiful and friendly dolphin.

Manatee Interaction: Interact with the rarely accessible manatee in deeper water.

Sea Lion Show: Watch this hilarious and loveable animal perform for you. Also includes taxi and entrance fee.

$115.25 Canadian Hope I am not missing anything.

There are two different "swims". 1 includes everything you have listed. The other includes the same, plus a "foot push" where two dolphins will push you across the water. I believe that one also has more time "swimming" vs. being on a platform.

We did the swim with the foot push in Nassau a few years ago and really enjoyed it. We are going to try it in Chankanaab in February, but are booking the less expensive one that you have listed. Both are cheaper on Chankanaab's website, but it is up to your personal comfort level to go through the ship or private. Personally, I don't think it is too large of a mark up. My only concern is the # of people in the groups.

That seems like a good price if going through the cruise line. It will take the worry out of it as well. Sometimes you may not make port for one reason or another and when you are booked independently, you could be in trouble. We have gone here twice for the dolphin swim. Both times we booked through the dolphin discovery site. The would have 50% off sales all the time, so if you were patient and kept checking you could get the royal swim for a great deal. The main thing I would recommend to you is that there is great snorkeling there. I'm not sure what kind of time the cruise lines give you to hang out. Grab some boxes of Fruit Loops off the ship and you will have more fish in your face than you can imagine.

If you do try to book independently, be prepared to lie about being a cruise passenger. If it is still the same they won't let you book if they know you are on a cruise ship because of the deals they have with the cruise lines. After you secure the booking I don't know if they care when you show up. I've read multiple people say they had no problems at all having their ship cards hanging on their necks and carrying cruise ship towels.

IIRC, the only ones who have to "lie" about being on cruise ship are Carnival passengers. We booked straight through Chakanaab's website for trips in 2013 and 2014, and saved money. Yes, you need to take transportation into account, but the taxi rates are fixed based on the number of people.

Admission into the park gets you snorkling and the sea lion show.