Fly Fishing at Princess Cays Bahamas

skipper1usa

Hi,

I am taking a cruise with Princess Cruise Line to the Bahamas in Jan 2015 and will visit Princess Cays, Eleuthera Island. I would like to know where I can do-it-yourself fly fishing for bonefish while on Eleuthera.

I know Princess Cays is located at the southern part of Eleuthera.

Any help or information would be greatly appreciated.

Yes, the Princess beach fishing is surf casting...and I have never seen any bonefish flats in the area of Princess Cays.

Princess also has a deep sea fishing excursion from the Cays.

I have seen people take their own casting gear, and walk along the beach to the south to fish off of the beach.

My husband and friend did this Princess excursion on our recent cruise and said it was a total waste of both time and money. The tour cost $219 per person for supposedly 2-1/2 hours of fishing. There were six people on the fishing boat and they got a 15 minute turn each sitting in the fishing chair watching the lines. Only one person landed a fish.When it wasn't your turn, you just watched from another part of the boat. They actually complained to Princess after the excursion and were refunded a part of the cost.

Been trying to figure out where and how to get a guide for many years on PC. Eluthra is supposed to be one of the best places in world for bone.

We saw huge Parrot fish one year when we took a walk toward lighthouse, didn't have a rod. Highly recommend Bonaire for bone fishing, great private guide Piscatur, you will see so many bones-recommend taking your "flats" boots and good luck hooking these silver bullets - very windy.

Bonaire is offered on 10 day cruises.

When you get back on your survey add Princess Cays fly fishing for Bonefish excursion. Nice I am not alone!

Good luck, Seadeck2

• 2 weeks later...

Yes there is some good do it yourself bonefishing in princess cays. I have caught them all 3 times I have been and am looking forward to the same in February. Just have to know where to go

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

There is a point at the edge of the bungalows as you get off the tendors go left. Walk past the bungalos, and you will pass a surf fishing area. Go past it ariund the point, you can catch them there.

We've vacationed on Eleuthera a few times. Great DIY flyfishing for bonefish. We never made it that far south, but I believe there's some great flats down there. I'd suggest looking at google earth and the surrounding area of where you'll be. If you're not a purist, they can be caught a bit easier with a spinning rod set-up too. But flyfishing for bonefish is the ultimate challenge. And the tides mean everything. Can't just go out and cast a fly. Do some reading; check the tides and hope for calm winds.

Good luck.

Caroline

Hello,

I did not have a chance to read your all your posts (on 5 Jan) prior to departure, but I was able to get some fishing done. When we got off the tender, we went to the right and passed all the beach chairs, I found a reef at the first bend/point (as per the Princess Cays map provided by the cruise line), and waited for low tide. I was able to catch 2 nice fish within an hour of fishing, not very big, only 8-10", one was a nice Jack, but that made my day. I saw a large 15-20" fish chasing other small schools of fish in a feeding frenzy, but it was out of my range.

Thanks for all the replies. If we ever go back, I will try the left side as suggested by M4dC0w. Happy and safe cruising...

Edited by skipper1usa