The Sun Forward Facing Suites

FireEater

I have 9002 booked. How has the ride been in those forward facing suites? During rough or somewhat rough seas, is one bouncing/shaking in their bed at night? It was kind of rough on a Carnival cruise, being forward on a deck 7. Not sure how more forward, on a deck 9 would feel on about the same size ship. I am guessing it will be worse then being at midships.....

On any ship the more forward or aft you are along with being higher the more you will feel motion

yes, I understand that part. I am looking for people who have actually stayed in those forward cabins on the Sun for their reply.

But thanks....

yes, I understand that part. I am looking for people who have actually stayed in those forward cabins on the Sun for their reply.

But thanks....

I think if 5 different people stayed in a forward cabin you could get 5 different answers depending on the weather, how rough the sea was at the time, their tolerance to sea sickness, etc.

For instance, our last cruise on the Star we went out of our way to miss a hurricane and many passengers and crew had a hard time. I, otoh, wasn't affected at all.

So....it really depends on the person, I think.

Harriet

I have stayed in forward suites 3 times. Once on deck 8, once on deck 9, and the last time deck 11. I was surprised there was not more motion. The nice thing with the high steel railing you can sit out on the balcony even when cruising full speed.

However, the downfall of the high steel railing is you can't really see over it while sitting unless you're looking 'way out' in front of you. Standing up by the railing is no problem.

Harriet

Edited by hpecorari

Today we booked one of the two forward facing balcony staterooms on deck 11. Four of us again will be sharing it -this time on the 11 day Mexican Riviera cruise in October 2016.

We had no motion problems, have had forward staterooms before and even if seas are very rough with meclizine (generic bonine) no problems.

There was often a puddle of water during the Alaska cruise - we usually put a lounger over it so we didn't get our feet wet. For Glacier Bay Day and Hubbard Glacier Day - fabulous :)

Here are some photos of the deck 11 forward balcony so you can see the railing.

99624c02-5bb9-42fa-b995-13d86f5e97ab_zpsd2192bf5.jpg

9a467191-a869-4d55-b0f9-eae47732a00e_zps5fd3e771.jpg

e6a497c0-ec91-4222-a9e8-d2b46fd2f391_zpsf09f2d52.jpg

Edited by kjquilts
correction

We did two longer cruises (10 days + 14 days) in suite 9002.

Absolutely no problem with wind or motion.

We have two more cruises in this suite coming up - we just love it.:)

But I needed a cushion to look over the railing, too - like hpecorari said.

I am looking for people cruising on the Breakaway leaving from NY January 18

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You posted this is "Sun forward facing suites" You're talking about the Breakaway. No one here can really help you.

Your best bet would be to go to your roll call for January 18th.

Here's the link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1781205

Harriet

Edited by hpecorari
Corrected the link

• 2 weeks later...
Today we booked one of the two forward facing balcony staterooms on deck 11. Four of us again will be sharing it -this time on the 11 day Mexican Riviera cruise in October 2016.

We had no motion problems, have had forward staterooms before and even if seas are very rough with meclizine (generic bonine) no problems.

There was often a puddle of water during the Alaska cruise - we usually put a lounger over it so we didn't get our feet wet. For Glacier Bay Day and Hubbard Glacier Day - fabulous :)

I've been a little nervous about being in front, but your photos just resolved my concerns! Thank you!!!!! Stay warm y'all!

This is not what the suites on decks 8 and 9 look like. No open railing. Solid all the way up to the rail. I did a transatlantic in a deck 8 suite - ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT. So quiet!! Yes, you get your ups and downs more in the front than midships, but we had fairly rough weather for about 3 days. It was still super quiet (unlike the aft suites which I was lucky enough to transfer from because of all the pounding and thudding). The forward suites are quite protected from the wind unless you stand right up to the railing.

SuzieQ, glad you enjoyed the photos. Have a wonderful cruise on one of our favorite ships.

Here is a photo we took of the Sun as she was sailing out of Miami. We had been on the Epic and spent an extra night in Miami before flying home. Took the water taxi to South Beach ... finished up by eating outside at very spendy Smith & Wollensky and watched the ships sail out.

018dca63-1fd4-420a-b3d3-3355e75ea8a1_zps5ce4eda1.jpg

Previous poster is correct, the forward facing suites on decks 8 and 9 do not have the same railing as the forward facing staterooms on deck 11.

In the above picture you can see the deck 11 staterooms above the bridge with lots of people standing on the observation lounge front deck above them. Unless we were standing at our rail and people above were right at the rail above we didn't even know they were there.

Edited by kjquilts
spelling correction