Our Holiday Cruise on the Wonder Review

brookeq

AFter lunch we decided to check out the pool. It is a huge freshwater pool. They have ledges around the side with shallow water and they put the lounge chairs in. I love that.

IMG_6258_zps2b729428.jpg

The kids love the pool. They spend tons of time here. There is bar behind it. Not a swim up one though.

IMG_6250_zps4a9b1388.jpg

After swimming we got some drinks. The kids got some smoothies too.

IMG_6244_zps06dd1e21.jpg

On our last crusie my husband got Amelia’s hair braided. She told me that since she was at the beach with salty water she has to get her hair braided. . So we let her do the corn rows. This was my only not so positive experience at Paradise Beach (we have been 3x). The girl who did the hair was not very nice and got annoyed If Amelia moved the slightest bit and would start huffing and sighing. It also did not last as long as when we went to Roatan. Those lasted until well after we got home. The braids she got here did not. In fact one was out the next day.  I was going to do it on the ship but didn’t realize you needed an appointment. Oh well.

She did look cute with her braids and she was pleased with them. So I tried to get a picture.

IMG_6261_zpsf19ec4e1.jpg

We played at the beach until mid afternoon and then decided to head back. Cabs are waiting there for you it is very easy to get back to the port.

On the way back I wanted to get vanilla. I forgot I had written down a place to get it. People on the message boards recommended it. I just walked in somewhere. I hate haggling. They had the same merchandise as when we went to Costa Maya last year but triple the price. I saw some vanilla and couldn’t believe the price. I was just going to leave. He eventually made it a price I would pay. Gosh I hate that. It just stresses me out.

Hayden wanted a mask last trip and stated his case again this trip. He has some spending money so his dad took him to get one. I wasn’t going thru the haggling again! He was happy with his purchase. My husband didn’t like the Chargers colors. He wanted black and gold. Ha ha.

IMG_6275_zpsb490c748.jpg

That is it for our day in Mexico.

Your review is perfect and thank you for not taking 500 posts! This is so helpful in planning our trip and knowing what to do and what to expect. Great tip about needing an appointment to get hair braided! Had not heard the appt part ;)

Looking forward to more!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

IMG_6290_zps49ffc56d.jpg

That night we had dinner in Animators Palate and they did the show that night. It was cute. I would love to see it on the newer ships.

Here is the menu:

http://disneycruiselineblog.com/menus/animators-palate-menu-magic-wonder/

For dinner I had the black truffle pasta which was very good. I also had the potato soup and the chicken for dinner. All were good. I had the cookies and creme sundae too.

We wondered around a bit after dinner. Hayden saw Santa Goofy

DWD-141209-MMHoliday-15458167_zps7c66c359.jpg

Amelia wanted to meet Chip N Dale

DWD-141210-MMHoliday-15457959_zpsbd4e2f0e.jpg

They went to the kids club at some point.

We got a picture of the chandelier in the atrium.

259_zps899f0fcf.jpg

IMG_6302_zps67b010ad.jpg

Hayden and Mike went to see Big Hero 6 in the movie theater. Hayden didn't make it all the way thru and fell asleep.

We got our towel animals and were off to bed

IMAG0471_zps8b914957.jpg

Day at Sea

We woke up to some rough seas. My little girl fell out of bed in the middle of the night!

We had tickets to make a gingerbread house that morning so that is we what did early. It was a fun little thing to do. It was the perfect day to do it since the weather was not nice. Unlike the kits you make at home this gingerbread actually tasted really good.

IMG_6315_zpsb4d923ac.jpg

Then went to see the big gingerbread house.

IMG_6319_zps6303a4b5.jpg

While were making the house I started to feel a little sick. I went and laid down for a bit and then i was fine.

It was way too cold and windy for the pool today. We did go to the hot tub and watched the lion king on the movie screen.

IMG_0686_zpsc3e7b2ac.jpg

The kids went to the kids club and played with Stitch.

We eventually got some lunch. The hamburger place listed that they would have cheese steak that day. Don't get it! It was gross.

We hit up the gift shop and let the kids pick out one thing. hayden picked a sword and Amelia got a small cruise minnie plush.

We saw Christmas Donald

IMG_6327_zps2cbc2b9c.jpg

and got a glimpse of Daisy leaving.

IMG_6321_zps69ff0980.jpg

We used our Sundae kits from our fish extender gifts. They gave us bowls, magic shell, sprinkles, cookies, and spoons that changed colors when cold. Fun!

IMAG0480_zps52e663ec.jpg

Mike and Hayden tried to see a movie but it was full. They played shuffleboard instead.

IMG_0720_zps105f5381.jpg

I took Amelia to do crafts. It was just a 3d character to cut out and put together.

IMAG0477_zps31aa0c98.jpg

The kids went back to the kids club and made cookies and played with pluto.

We went and watched a special on Disney World.

We had dinner at Parrot Cay that night.

menu is here: http://disneycruiselineblog.com/menus/parrot-cay-menu/

I had the chicken tenderloins. They were good. I also got the soup. It was like a spicy tomato sauce but pretty good. For my main course i got the pork chop. I didn't like any of the desserts.

We also got a family picture

DWD-141210-NightShip8x10-15463500_zps8807e1ae.jpg

That evening we went to see the Golden Mickey's Show. I let the kids get popcorn. Everyone enjoyed the show. By the end the kids were getting a little tired.

IMG_6325_zps34204e34.jpg

Then we called it a night.

IMAG0490_zps02368632.jpg

This is wonderful and can't wait to share with my family.... Sailing Magic but this gives us a darn good idea!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Have fun. The Magic was my first choice when researching Disney Cruises. It just didn't work out this time.

After our day of rough seas I was nervous we would not be able to dock at Castaway Cay. I later read that on our rough sea day one of the other ships couldn't go to Castaway Cay. That stinks! Thankfully we made it.

The weather was to be a high of almost 70. But there was no wind. We got off right after breakfast.

We got a family picture with the tree.

DWD-141211-CastawayCay8x10-15472044_zps0fed0902.jpg

The kids loved the sand snowmen.

IMG_6350_zps66951d05.jpg

And the sleigh

IMG_6355_zpsca765fa0.jpg

We rode the tram to the family beach.

We ran into Mickey with no one visiting him. Nice! We got pictures with just the kids, then the family, then the kids with Grandma Barb since no one was waiting.

IMG_6362_zpsf069f6d8.jpg

We also ran into Pluto. Bonus! Only Hayden wanted to see him.

IMG_6366_zpsec33fa70.jpg

We passed the gift shop and peeked in. Grandma Barb got the kids a new castle mold since ours broke.

Just an FYI when we went to Disneyworld last year they were the same price and included a small shovel and one large shovel. These only included the mold.

Edited by brookeq

We headed to the family beach. We picked a spot to the right of the play area that is in the ocean. No one was near us for most of the morning.

IMG_6380_zpsf7dcce92.jpg

The water was so blue and clear. I loved it. I will have to edit out those cones later!

The area you see with the ropes is the snorkel area. Please make sure you take a yellow vest if you snorkel...it is required. You don't have to blow it up but you do have to put it on. There are no signs that say this. The life guards (which are no where near the snorkel area) would have to get their mega phones out and tell people all of the time.

I told the kids we would take some posed pictures right away (so no one would be in them) and then I wouldn't bother them much during the day. I had Santa hats ready since it was a Christmas cruise. :santa:

IMG_6370_zpseb5b989c.jpg

So we got some cute ones.

IMG_6376_zps7ffc1356.jpg

It is so hard to get a family picture. Since we were by ourselves only my mom could take it. It stresses her out for some reason so I only had her take one. This was it. I am just happy everyone is looking. Amelia is so hard. She does everything but have her eyes looking at the camera. And Hayden gets moody and won't always let us take his picture.

IMG_6409_zps19db7fce.jpg

I did manage to sneak this cute one of him though...

IMG_6381_zpsff7f139d.jpg

The kids played in the sand.

Then they got in the water. It was chilly at first but you got used to it if you kept your body in it. Once you got out it was cold until you were in a towel and dried off some.

IMG_6417_zps200bc8b9.jpg

The life guard stand near us had the snorkel life vests so we put some on the kids and swam out to the play area. We made it all the way and the life guard told us they needed to wear a regular life vest. ugh. How was I supposed to know that. So I had to go find the normal vests. That was quite a trip. I had no idea where they were. I asked two employees and they didn't tell me the right place. i finally had walked all the way back to the end of the beach and thru all of the buildings and found some. It was tiring!

Hayden was happy to get a real vest. he did not like the snorkel ones.

IMG_6478_zps876dfd17.jpg

Hayden and Amelia saw their friend from our dinner table so they played nice for a long time. So we got to relax. I did some reading. Mike relaxed with his chair in the ocean.

IMG_6418_zpsa39887f2.jpg

he is usually a baby about cold water so that shows you it wasn't too bad.

At some point we ate lunch. It wasn't anything exciting but we were all satisfied. We also stopped and got some ice cream. On the island they had vanilla chocolate and strawberry and banana flavors.

IMG_6461_zps131099dc.jpg

Hayden and my husband checked out the game area.

They played connect 4

IMAG0487_zpsdd7dce3b.jpg

Did some putting and played basketball. There was also chess/and checkers I think.

IMAG0485_zpsc6d6cd31.jpg

Amelia wanted to go to the dance party. Minnie, goofy, and Mickey were there. She had a blast.

IMG_6442_zpsc2c8977c.jpg

This minnie could kick her leg above her head!

I forgot to take them to the digging area. They would have loved that. Its just so hard to remember to do everything!

There was also hair braiding (in the shade). And some more shops down the way.

There was a stand right near the entrance to cove cafe (but still out of the actual adult area)

I don't know if you make appointments there or somewhere else. Sorry.

I think it was like 3 dollars a braid maybe. I am sorry I am not much help. Someone on this board has to know

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Forums mobile app

Next we decided to check out the water slide.

IMG_6512_zps18a7e223.jpg

The kids liked the spray guns

IMG_6497_zpsa2fb91e1.jpg

I went first and rode the twisty open slide.

IMG_6505_zps1949719b.jpg

Mike rode the tube slide.

IMG_6515_zpsacc28253.jpg

Hayden wanted to try it but changed his mind. I didn't force it.

Here is a photo of the next beach on the other side of the slides. It is the family beach too.

IMG_6496_zpsfea046db.jpg

On our walk back i got a picture with the ship in the background.

IMG_6423_zps805592e2.jpg

This review has been great-- I've really appreciated all of your photos and comments. We just booked our first Disney cruise on the Wonder for this time next year, same itinerary as the trip you reviewed, so seeing your photos and comments have just made us more excited!

Thank you so much for taking time to write this! Do you jot down notes from your days while you are traveling? We love to cruise and love Disney and are taking our first cruise with Disney on Christmas Eve 2015 - I love seeing that they have the yummy gingerbread houses up on the ships too! Nothing like smelling that on a holiday vaca.

I think we are going to be needing to schedule naps in so we can enjoy all of the late night activity - even if we make it up for it, I know the next mornings will be miserable if the kids (and us), are not well rested. Thank you for pointing this all out!! This will be the first cruise for my kiddos and I don't want to over-do it, but also want to make the most of what they offer!

Thank you so much for taking time to write this! Do you jot down notes from your days while you are traveling? We love to cruise and love Disney and are taking our first cruise with Disney on Christmas Eve 2015 - I love seeing that they have the yummy gingerbread houses up on the ships too! Nothing like smelling that on a holiday vaca.

I think we are going to be needing to schedule naps in so we can enjoy all of the late night activity - even if we make it up for it, I know the next mornings will be miserable if the kids (and us), are not well rested. Thank you for pointing this all out!! This will be the first cruise for my kiddos and I don't want to over-do it, but also want to make the most of what they offer!

I read a lot reviews on this site and some others and just made priorities. Things i really wanted to do and things that I wanted to do but it was ok if we didn't.

On Pirate night I did try to get the kids to nap. They were never good nappers even when young. But I also went knowing that they would probably get cranky, which they did. But I still want them to experience things. We just didn't stay up late every night. Its just not worth it.

On our last cruise we had 4 stops to 4 different islands all in a row. that was also too much for our kids. We needed a relaxing sea day to break it up.

I jot down some quick notes before bed and put them in the note pad on my cell phone.

We stayed at the beach a little longer and then headed back to the ship. Probably after 2.

We loved Castaway Cay. It is so nice to be able to just get off the ship and not worry about catching a taxi, paying for food, being haggled to buy stuff. It was the best part of our cruise. If we take another disney cruise it would have to stop here.

On our way out we stopped to take a picture with Olaf at the post office.

IMG_6534_zps72575d62.jpg

We also saw Stitch before we boarded.

IMG_6547_zpsc5c4f97a.jpg

Back on the ship reality is setting in that the cruise is ending and I started packing. Its always so sad :(