On board credit

faroozi

Okay, I have a question because I have only been on one other Carnival cruise and didn't have any onboard credit. So this is partial gripe, but also a true question. Has anyone been awarded multiple onboard credits? When we originally booked our cruise, we paid $40 more for our cruise in order to get 50% off deposit and an onboard credit of $50 per state room. We debated doing this vs. just having $40 less on our booking. We chose the 50% less deposit and the onboard credit. Then our cruise was part of the cruises canceled by Carnival to make way for longer cruises. So we were out our cruise, but Carnival said they they would honor our current booking for a similar booking plus give us $50 per person onboard credit. We had a large group that was going on this sailing, so we had 6 staterooms to rebook and 17 people's itinerary to replan, no small feat. We finally decided on a replacement cruise and during the booking process, Carnival did give us similar rooms for the original booking price, and they did give us the $50 per person onboard credit, which I know they didn't have to do per previous posts. However they would not honor our 50% deposit or our onboard credit of $50 per state room. Which for my 3 rooms in the set of the 6 rooms would have been $150. While I realize that I am getting different onboard credit, I am frustrated that I paid more on my booking for these two items and then they were not honored in the exchange of a cruise. We finally were able to get the 50% deposit back, which in the long run doesn't matter, but the Carnival Cruise person said that they couldn't put both onboard credits onto our account. That they could only put one promotional onboard credit into the computer and that there is a no other way to put onboard credit onto an account. So my choice was either a $50 per state room onboard credit or a $50 per person onboard credit. So we chose the per person credit, obviously, but I feel like our original cruise was not honored as promised. There is probably nothing I can do to get this credit and such. But I cannot believe that Carnival has no way to put more than one type of onboard credit on an account. So does anyone know about getting more than one onboard credit on your account?

You can have multiple types of OBC at the same time, such as ES, stockholder, booking on board, Milestone, etc. The difference is that you can only have one type of promotional credit at a time. If you have a past guest sale with OBC and change to a 3 day sale with OBC you only keep the OBC associated with the current booking. You have to keep that in mind, as well as the difference in taxes and fees, before switching to a different rate code.

(I'm not implying there are any current sales for past guest or a 3 day sale with OBC.)

Thank you. Both of you explained things much clearer than the Carnival representative. I know I have heard about lots of different OBC, but I didn't realize the different categories. And I understand them canceling everything, but then they told has they would honor our deal, but only half of it. And they kept wavering between saying that we never had OBC to saying that they were replacing our OBC but could not honor the original OBC. I personally feel that the original OBC was for my booking and the second OBC is for the hassle of them canceling our cruise. But according to Carnival they are both promotional credits. Though if I was in the promotional office I wouldn't want to be promoting that they cancel cruises, hah.