Has anyone been to St. Pierre?

Yes, we know it's really an overseas department of France; but we're hardly likely to find people who have been there on a Board that includes France.

We will have a cruise stop at St. Pierre in late May (8 am to 5 pm on 5/25). From what we read on the St. Pierre and Miquelon tourism web sites, we can't tell whether out best bet would be to walk around the town, or to book a bus or van tour. Tours seem quite reasonable in price; but maybe it's best to sit in a café with a café au lait and a brioche or pastry; then to eat some cheese with a baguette.

Suggestions from anyone who lives there or has visited there would be much appreciated.

I don't know that I'll be much help, but I'll share my experience anyway as St. Pierre et Miquelon holds very special memories for me as a port stop. I was there in 2003, and that was (1) well before the island was truly ready for a cruise-ship, even a small ship, worth of tourists; and (2) on a French National holiday.

I am not sure if things have changed, but I know when I was there, there was an option of getting off and walking about 2 miles into town, or taking a tender to a tender dock much closer to town. It's the only port I have ever been to that had the ship both docked AND running a tender service.

Very little was open when I was there because of the national holiday, but the tourists bureau was nice enough to give, yes give not sell, me a stamp to mail the single postcard I had planned to. None of the shore excursions were running because of the holiday, so I walked into town and then wandered around a bit, and found a very nice bakery selling the last of the day's pastries (before they closed at noon), and then took the tender service back to the ship.

I remember the sail away as one of the best I have ever experienced. 35-50 cars full of people came to the dock and parked after the ship had pulled the gangplank. And as the ship was blowing its horn, the cars all honked back. The ship answered and the cars returned. It went on for about 5 minutes until we were well out into the harbor. It was such a special and spontaneous send off. I have not had one quite as nice or special since.

Sorry I could not be more help, but I can say everyone I met there was helpful and welcoming. And I suspect in the intervening years that the town/island may have gotten much more ready and able to handle cruise ship tourists.

Edited by ellieanne

We were there many years ago & a similar experience to ellieanne's

I am looking forward to seeing the changes if any

A small tour would give you an idea of island life

I think we dock there so lots of time to wander around

Lyn

We went there from Newfoundland by ferry many years ago. It was our first introduction to France, and if it is yours, you would likely be happy just strolling around the small town and indulging in the joys you mention. Duty free shopping for things French may be of interest to you as well.

We took a van tour to see the rest of the island, but there is really very little to see.

If the Robert Hotel and bar are still there then check it out and see Al Capone's hat. St. Pierre was very prominent in rum running operations during prohibition.

Edited by maryann ns