Roatan 101 please, cruising with Princess

Sailingpeace

First time in Roatan. Usually on first visit we like to walk around on our own , have a local lunch , meet the people , get to know the culture. This will be a very relaxing cruise, so no Ziplining or scuba. I do not care much for stages monkey encounters, enjoy seeing them in the wild, undisturbed.

So, what is around the pier, what is within walking distance and what would be the must see and do on a first , relaxing first visit?

Edited by Sailingpeace

You'll be docking at Mahogany Bay. You can find lots of threads and pictures on this board. Basically it has a shopping area and a beach with loungers that doesn't cost anything. Beer there is Honduran beer. Food there is tourist oriented supplied by Fat Tuesdays. So if you just want to hang out without spending more on a taxi than any meal will cost, this is the place to stay. You won't see any of the island but you won't break the bank either.

If you wish to head to a local place to stroll around, you'll need to take a taxi to West End or West Bay. West End has a small "village " with shops and such. West Bay has lots of sand to stroll along. Both have plenty of places to grab a bite to eat that's more locally oriented food. Try Bite on the Beach or Celeste's in West Bay. In West End look for Sundowners or Tita's Pink Seahorse Bar or the Landing.

You can also go to Coxen Hole and walk around some smaller shops. Try Madah's Kitchen there. Or take the taxi out to Flower's Bay along the coast line to Haydee's Diner.

Or head the other way toward French Harbor (the island's commercial fishing center) and grab a bite at Temporary Cal's in First Bite.

However, I highly suggest you look up the reviews for Victor Bodden or Ronys Tours and get an island tour. Victor's drivers always stop at his place for the monkeys and cashew wine. But Rony can lead you around to local local places and you'll get a really good feel of the island. The drivers for both of these tour guides know good local places to eat. And if you grab another couple of small group off your roll call to go with you, costs can be as low as $25 pp. Less than what you'll spend on a taxi to get from MBCC to West End.

Go to the DUFRY store on pier and treat your self to a ROATAN 151 proof rum cake. Far superior to any others that you will find. Ask the manager to allow you to check your Facebook page and hand her your smart phone to ask for her to enter password, she always does so for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm interested in the answers to the last question as well. I would also like to ask which has better snorkeling, West Bay or West End? Are they both easily accessible from the beach?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you for the info. I guess it will be West End or a private tour. If we go the private tour way, how long should we plan for and what would be the must see places ?

I would love to hear this answer as well. We had decided to do the iguana habitat tour(something else combined in there too) but maybe it would be nicer to see the island via a taxi or a van.

How long does it take to get to these other places?

I'm interested in the answers to the last question as well. I would also like to ask which has better snorkeling, West Bay or West End? Are they both easily accessible from the beach?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

West Bay on the southern end toward the point has much better snorkeling IMO. In West End Village you have Half Moon Bay, which is mostly sandy with grass. At the opening of the bay there is some reef which you can snorkel free of charge from the Half moon bay Restaurant. They have steps into the water, loungers, and a shower for when you get out. The place has its charm, but the reef is much more extensive at West Bay.

Coming to West Bay from a cruise ship, look for Tabyana Beach Break on your ship's excursion list. That is the easiest way and you are right at the best snorkeling area, from Infinity Bay to the point.

Or you can book independently and go to Bananarama near the middle of West Bay Beach either directly http://bananarama.com/ or through Island Marketing.

Usually the wind blows out of the east in Roatan, and the seas are like glass on the West side of the island. But if a front moves through and it is windy out of the North or West, it can be better snorkeling in a different area of the island. But coming on a cruise plans are probably already made, so you just have to make the best of whatever weather you get.

Edited by James in SA

We did Victor Bodden tours and the driver was fabulous. Prices exceptional. The island is beautiful and the drivers know where to go so you see the Island's best sites. I think we did about a 4.5 hour tour. We ended at Tabayana Beach in West Bay. Unbelievable snorkeling. The driver waited 1.5 hours for us. He watched our stuff. Truly one of the best tours we've ever had and we've cruised many times. Island is a must see.

We did Victor Bodden tours and the driver was fabulous. Prices exceptional. The island is beautiful and the drivers know where to go so you see the Island's best sites. I think we did about a 4.5 hour tour. We ended at Tabayana Beach in West Bay. Unbelievable snorkeling. The driver waited 1.5 hours for us. He watched our stuff. Truly one of the best tours we've ever had and we've cruised many times. Island is a must see.

Definitely book Victor Bodden if you want to leave the port area. I have booked him 3X and his service is always exceptional.