Just Booked

kidlessatsea

We just booked our first Carnival Cruise for November 1, 2015 on Miracle with BOTH of our kids. Can you tell me some great things about Carnival so I won't be nervous about the bad stigma?? I think the kids (15 and 4) will have a fantastic time no matter what ship we are on but my parents are cruise snobs (not that I think it's a bad thing) and would "never cruise Carnival". This cruise was over $1k cheaper than any other line and everything I read seemed great. It may be in poor taste to post this but can you reassure me that we made a great decision??

Good things about Carnival??

1) It's a cruise

2) You saved enough to buy a second cruise on carnival.

3) You'll be visiting beautiful ports of call

4) You will see pretty much the same clientele, games, activities, etc. on Carnival that you do on RCI.

Comparing cruise lines is like comparing airlines. There are a few differences, the biggest difference being price, but essentially it's the same product.

I can say having done an RCI cruise, the cabins are bigger on Carnival, the decoration is a gaudier, and the food is better.

We have done cruises on both RCI and CCL, CCL the past 5 years. I also heard the comments about CCL prior to going to them. They have proven inaccurate. The two cruise lines are pretty equal in most things. Yes, RCI has the newer, bigger ships with some different things to do on them. But for me, I prefer the smaller ships anyway.

I think you will have a great time on CCL. Enjoy the savings and prepare to book another :)

We did the exact itinerary 2 years in a row, first on the Carnival Dream, second on the Disney Fantasy. Our DS and DD were 7/3 on the first cruise and 8/4 on the second. While my DD obviously liked seeing princesses around every corner, if you ask my son which was his favorite, he says Carnival. I would put them mostly equal EXCEPT for the price! Carnival was half the price and every bit as fun and relaxing with equal service in my opinion. We have also done RCCL (and NCL w/o kids) and found the experience to be very similar.

Things we do, eat dinner in the MDR whenever possible, we utilize the kids clubs, gamble a little, use the spa, dress up on formal night. While the ship decor might not be how I would decorate my house, it doesn't really bother me as long as it is clean and the service is good. We are usually in bed by 11 because of our kids age so we aren't late-nighters.

I think if is perfectly reasonable to ask the question and I think you and your kids will love it. We have 99 days until our next cruise!

Edited by amyh13

In my opinion, the "bad stigma" is from folks who have not been on Carnival at all! Not sure specifically what a "cruise snob" might find objectionable??

We love the informal dress code and could afford much higher end cruise lines but think that Carnival is just perfect for us!

I would go with the attitude that you are on vacation and plan to enjoy yourself!

We've been on all the major cruiselines, our next cruise is on the Breeze.

I disagree in the comparison to airlines - my coach experience on Delta will be similar to that of USAir, but a cruise on RCI Oasis will be different than on the Miracle or the Breeze. Not necessarily better, just different.

If the Miracle has the price, ports and features you want it will be great trip.

Now you need to change your cruisecritic name!

The Spirit class has a very easy deck plan to figure out. One 2-story MDR at the aft so all the decks go through. We just did a Hawaii cruise on her and have the cruise after yours booked.

Won't have too many kids onboard because California schools normally do not have any full weeks off until Thanksgiving then at the end of December. There will probably be more kids in your younger child's club than your teenager's.

She's going thru drydock in March so she'll be getting some new things- Guys Burgers, Iguana, Outdoor Screen Her slide area is already huge. Do not remember if she's getting a Big Thunder like her sister has.

SunshineCruiser24,

So when are we going to get to read a review of your latest cruise with the ex???

(From a follower of your Enchantment review)

Good things about Carnival??

1) It's a cruise

2) You saved enough to buy a second cruise on carnival.

3) You'll be visiting beautiful ports of call

4) You will see pretty much the same clientele, games, activities, etc. on Carnival that you do on RCI.

Comparing cruise lines is like comparing airlines. There are a few differences, the biggest difference being price, but essentially it's the same product.

I can say having done an RCI cruise, the cabins are bigger on Carnival, the decoration is a gaudier, and the food is better.

Edited by mickev99

• 1 month later...

I can't speak for the 15 year old, but as a parent of a kid that went on a cruise at 3 and still remembers it 3 years later, your 15 year old will love it. I can't give you are comparison to an experience of another line, but can tell you Carnival is good enough for me to book a 6th trip with (more return trips then I've given any other vacation). My thoughts are let the kids enjoy themselves in camp carnival. Be open to your own experience. And from a recent post on this board, I guess block your kids ability to leave the boat with out you.

To me carnival cruises are a great value for the money. Relax and enjoy it, is my motto. :)

Thanks all. We are very excited. I frequent the boards and I'm looking forward to seeing what a long dry dock will bring Miracle as there seems to be a little confusion.

Yes, I will have to change my username and yes! We were able to get the ginormous balcony of 6232. Woot!

My son was 15 when we were on the Magic in 2012. I insisted he go to the kids meet & greet held the 1st evening, I even went with him to make sure he went. He totally had a blast, he met new friends that he hung out with the entire week. He still keeps in touch with several of the kids he met on that trip.

Your 15 year old will be able to sign the little one in and out of camp carnival, that will help. You can have him go by and get the little one and meet you at the cabin to get ready for dinner.