Beach / Swim / Snorkel on our own ....worried about our 'stuff'

Mulder155

We will be in Georgetown for one day in early March, with 2 adults and 2 late-teens. We'll probably want to just spend the day at a nice beach that hopefully has some amenities (WC, food/drink nearby, rentals, activities), and perhaps also swim and/or snorkel. 2 of us have our own snorkelling gear, and the other 2 don't - so we may need to rent 2 sets.

It's probably obvious to many that this is my first Caribbean cruise. I can't wrap my head around what we're supposed to do with all of our stuff when we go into the water. We'll have cameras, clothing, shoes, etc. etc. (Should we also bring a towel from the ship???). I'm worried that our things will be stolen. What do other people do with their belongings when spending time at the beach and going into the water? (Seems like almost a stupid question, but since I've never done this without having a hotel room to walk to, or an organized tour boat to keep your stuff on, I'm trying to figure out what we are supposed to do!)

Edited by Mulder155

1. Pack lite. Don't bring a bunch of stuff with you. Leave your passport on the ship. And yes, bring a towel from the ship. Depending on the cruise line they will supply you with beach towels for this purpose.

2. I stopped bringing my SLR camera on beach excursions as I didn't like leaving it up on the beach. I have now gone to an Olympus Tough that is pretty much indestructible and is waterproof so it goes in the water with me. I also love being able to just hose the sand off.

3. We carry cash, a credit card, driver licenses, and room cards in a waterproof plastic container that goes around my neck.

As far as clothes and towels and stuff, the chances of it being stolen are very slim, and the loss isn't that great if it does happen.

Have fun, pack lite and don't stress! :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, wake74.

I guess we'll have to leave our cameras on the ship, and have no photos of our trip, as we only have the larger ones, and definitely NOT waterproof. Not going to go and buy a new camera just for this trip!

Can you tell me where you get the waterproof container for around your neck? We will definitely need a few of those, as we'll have our ship card, as well as cash for the bus, lunch, etc.

Do not leave something you're not willing to lose on the beach. I took a cruise as a kid to Grand Cayman, and my mom loved the island so much we took a 5 day trip just to the islands. When I was in the water snorkeling, she was sitting in the water away from our stuff to cool off for a minute. We were set up at 7 mile beach, had walked away from the crowds for a more private experience. A man walking along the beach picking up trash saw the opportunity and grabbed my mom's bag with 2 cameras and her purse in it. Luckily, a local chased the man down and retrieved the contents minus one of our cameras.

Long story short, in my own personal experience, theft is a problem on the island, so pay attention, be alert, and leave anything irreplaceable in your cabin safe when you go ashore.

OK, so basically if you don't own an underwater camera that you can take with you while swimming/snorkeling/kayaking, then don't bring one at all on shore.

As far as our clothes, shoes, towels, backpack....we'll have to take our chances that nobody steals them. Replaceable - yes. Easy to replace while you're on a cruise and still need the items for the rest of the holiday - No.

No one..and I mean NO ONE, wants your tee shirt, or flip-flops....don't worry about them! Of course, don't wear your designer duds to the beach! Wear your bathing suits under a tee or shorts.....they will be fine on the beach.

If you have a velcroed pocket on your swim trunks, you can put cash, credit card and room keys in there...water will NOT hurt any of that stuff!

You will find that Caribbean beaches are very narrow, so there will be others nearby....strike up a conversations with some of your "neighbors" before heading "en masse" into the water....that way, they will likely know if someone does attempt to go to "your spot"....there will be tons of people from your ship...you will know by their towels....just be gracious to them, and they will be to you, too!!!

I worried about the same thing, as all 4 in our group will want to go swimming/snorkeling at the same time etc. I just bought the KYSS bag and I can't wait to use it! Kyss.com It's a beach bag with a hidden chain with a combination lock so you can chain it to a beach chair, tree, umbrella stand, etc. The bag is extremely light weight but made of a material that can't be cut open and the chain can't be cut either. So you're stuff will be locked and and chained in place while your a free to do your thing!

We will be in Georgetown for one day in early March, with 2 adults and 2 late-teens. We'll probably want to just spend the day at a nice beach that hopefully has some amenities (WC, food/drink nearby, rentals, activities), and perhaps also swim and/or snorkel. 2 of us have our own snorkelling gear, and the other 2 don't - so we may need to rent 2 sets.

It's probably obvious to many that this is my first Caribbean cruise. I can't wrap my head around what we're supposed to do with all of our stuff when we go into the water. We'll have cameras, clothing, shoes, etc. etc. (Should we also bring a towel from the ship???). I'm worried that our things will be stolen. What do other people do with their belongings when spending time at the beach and going into the water? (Seems like almost a stupid question, but since I've never done this without having a hotel room to walk to, or an organized tour boat to keep your stuff on, I'm trying to figure out what we are supposed to do!)

I got a KYSS bag (keep your stuff safe) Look for it on line. Not foolproof but most of the time thefts like this are the quick and easy bags. This bag makes it harder and thus not a likely target. We will be in the Caymens in August. Enjoy and take a camera you need pictures.

Oops posted before reading all responses. Boobear1 beat me to the punch. But I obviously agree!!!

Edited by scoutdon
read another post similiar

Another vote for the Kyss bag. The chain loops around a chair or table and also locks the zipper shut. High-end security.............No. If someone REALLY wanted into it, they could. But, a snatch/grab and run isn't going to work if the bag is attached to a beach chair or table. Most thieves are not going to sit, messing with a lock when there are lots of people around.

We buy an inexpensive $14 underwater camera every time we go. It's worth the extra few dollars to have the security and the pictures.

I second that suggestion :). You can get them in places like Walmart (last time I checked anyway). They take good pix and work well underwater. If something happened you would loose your photos but not your expensive camera.

<<<Karen>>>

I have now gone to an Olympus Tough that is pretty much indestructible and is waterproof so it goes in the water with me. I also love being able to just hose the sand off.

I love my Olympus Tough camera. I have the floating wrist strap so it goes in the water with me. I just have to make sure I rinse it good after being in saltwater all day.

I also have a plastic waterproof pouch with a lanyard I can wear around my neck to keep my cash and ID when I go in the water. Not great for swimming or snorkling but good for just wading in the water.

I'll give another shout out for the KYSS bag. I bought one a few years ago and love it so much that I don't JUST use it at the beach. The size and shape are great for just about any type of travel, even if you don't need to lock up your stuff. Well worth the investment. Bag is very well made.