La Goulette Cruise port stop

glittergal1

Hello In February 2015 We stop in La Goulette as part of a cruise I dont want to do a ships excursion or travel into Tunis , Is La Goulette a place in itself ? or just a port? when I try to find information all I find is stuff on Tunis . If we just got off the ship in La Goulette what is there to do walking distance from the port?

Also do we need to get Dinars or can we use Euros in shops cafes etc? is there a cash point at the point at the port to get Dinars if we need them ?

Do we need a visa ?

Hello In February 2015 We stop in La Goulette as part of a cruise I dont want to do a ships excursion or travel into Tunis , Is La Goulette a place in itself ? or just a port? when I try to find information all I find is stuff on Tunis . If we just got off the ship in La Goulette what is there to do walking distance from the port?

Also do we need to get Dinars or can we use Euros in shops cafes etc? is there a cash point at the point at the port to get Dinars if we need them ?

Do we need a visa ?

LaGoulette is the port in Tunis. I am not sure about needing an extra visa since you are from England and we are from the US but we did not need one. There are excursions to go see the markets and there are ancient ruins you can visit as well. We stayed at the port for the day since it was just my teenage daughter and myself and there were travel warnings for Americans when we visited a year and a half ago. The port itself it very pretty and quiet, it has shopping and a few restaurants and the people were EXTREMELY nice, one of the friendliest posts I have ever visited which shocked me since there were warnings about Americans not being welcome. Can't answer on which form of cash you'll need as we used our credit card since we stayed at the port to shop and eat.

There is a new commercial terminal with cafes shops and internet access as well as camel rides if you feel so inclined! I just wandered around there for an hour or so and bought some nice jewellrey and cheap sandals. They had taxis available from there with fixed fares to places like Caryhage. 2 of our group took a train into town to a traditional market and seemed to enjoy themselves. They were both male though, not sue it would be such a good idea for a solo female.

I didn't notice an ATM but there may have been one. I just used euros and my card for my purchases but I didn't leave the immediate area and go outside.

Edited by AmoMondo

Be aware that other cruise lines have discontinued stopping at La Goulette \ Tunisia. Safety warnings were not encouraging passengers to book excursions. NCL stopped earlier this year after passengers holding Israeli passports were refused entry.

We visited in January 2014. In 20+ years of cruising and 17+ cruises, I've taken less than 5 ship sponsored excursions. We are experienced travelers and either DIY or book non ship excursions for a better experience and cheaper price.

Tunisia was an exception. We booked the ship excursion to Sidi Boo Said, which included a bus tour of Tunis. Public transport is non existent. The area around the port was grim and dirty. Most of the city was 'unsafe' feeling. Vendors were aggressive to the point of being physical. We were quite sure that our visit would have been miserable on our own.

Of course, the excursion also included unadvertised stops at a rug sales shop and a scented oil shop. Both were an annoying waste of our time. Sidi Boo Said was rather pretty, and we would have far preferred a longer stop there (which was what WAS advertised).

Euro's accepted everywhere. More expensive shops accepted credit cards (how else would they sell those rugs?)

It's NOT a fun port stop. Get off so you can say you've visited, but do it safely ON AN EXCURSION IN A GROUP.

Edited by jkgourmet

As Amo says it's OK to wander round the port area. There's a souk of sorts and there is bartering to be had. They accept euros.

You can kill an hour and buy an exciting fridge magnet. I would wager that a lot of people stay on board because there is little else to do and going outside the port confines is a no-no unless you're on an excursion.

From my ipad

oh dear I might just stay on board :(

I a have to say that is exactly what I did on the first 4 visits to Tunis. Last time I got off and the area where the ship docks is perfectly safe to have a wander around on your own. It is fairly new but still pleasant enough to stretch your legs and see some of the stuff on offer

I agree with the previous poster though, if you want to go further afield, go with a ships tour or at least in a group with other passengers.

Here I will have to disagree with my fellow cruise-goers.

Tunis is an interesting, modern capital. The Bardo museum has some of the best Roman remains anywhere in the World. The souk/bazar is authentic and exciting.

If you have time, take the train into Tunis and explore.

If you only have a couple of hours then just wander around the cruise terminal.

Either way, Tunis is one of the most interesting ports of call on MSC's current itineraries. Read up before. It is infinitely more interesting than Malaga, Rome or Valetta. Do it!

Either way, Tunis is one of the most interesting ports of call on MSC's current itineraries. Read up before. It is infinitely more interesting than Malaga, Rome or Valetta. Do it!

More interesting than ROME?!!?????!!???? :eek:

Edited by jkgourmet

More interesting than ROME?!!?????!!???? :eek:

Yes! Rome is very touristy and western. In fact, not near Tunis so out of range for a day's trip, there is even a Roman copy of the Colleseum in Tunisia in a better state of preservation. Just as Turkey has all the best Ancient Greek sites, Tunisia has the best Roman sites. The Bardo museum houses the finest mosaics and smaller finds from them. Tunis is far less touristy and has an amazing cultural vibe. A wander in the medina will take you to a different world. Don't underestimate Tunis.

We got off the ship on our Jan 2014 cruise. Visited Sidi BoobSaid, did a short city tour, spent a bit of time in the Medina (where the hassling from vendors was awful and somewhat physically aggressive). And were taken (unexpectedly) to the requisite rug and scented oil shops. Departing those shops was when the other vendors slammed us.

I'll take Istanbul over Tunis any day. And now that they refuse entry to Israelis, I'm not overly anxious to support their economy. Nevertheless, I love the painting we purchased there in January and I'm glad we visited.

oh dear I might just stay on board :(

Just back from there.

I a solo female walked 10, 15 mins into town. Not a big place. I sat in a beachside bar with a coffee and used their internet. Then walked through the small town. it has a little market few shops and restaurants. Never felt uncomfortable, everyone friendy and helpful. Euros accepted

Edited by scorpio123456

Hi scorpio123456 This is exactly what I wanted to do walk out of the port and have a wander around the town!!!!!!!!!!!!! so there is a town after all you dont need to go into TUNIS?

Hi, it's not very big and not rearly touristy, though there are plenty of bars/ restraunts. the shops are for locals as is the market. If you just want to spend a couple of hours it's fine. The beach is quite nice.

I didn't walk as far as I could have as I had sprained my ankle.

It's not a pretty place a bit scruffy and quite moden but ok for a couple of hours. As I said I sat in beachside cafe watched the world go by and used there Internet. You need to ask which one ,think it was calledPark of Palace it had maroon sunshades. Have fun D