Visiting Santo Domingo & La Romana. Looking for suggestions...

Stockjock

We're English speakers who will be on a French cruise ship. We'll be in Santa Domingo on a Sat from 7 am until 10 pm. The ship visits La Romana Sunday, but only from 7 am until 2 pm.

Leaning towards visiting Altos de Chavon on Sunday, just taking the shuttle for $7 each way. Obviously, we don't have a lot of time and we won't be the first ones off the ship, so I figured that would be a good plan. Agree and I presume that with a 2 pm departure we won't have time for much else, true?

But on Saturday, we have a full 15 hours in Santo Domingo, which would give us time for plenty, or so it would seem. Any recommendations on what to do? Is Seavis a good option? Better to just check out the city, or do both? Any tour groups that are recommended?

Thank you in advance!

• 1 month later...
What did you end up doing in santo domingo, and La romana? Leaving in a month! Di

In Santo Domingo, we did a Safari to Bayaguana and I wasn't crazy about this, even though it was something like 7 hours long. I also think we got food poisoning from the lunch that they served.

Instead, I recommend that you visit Zona Colonial, which is walking distance from the ship or a $10 cab ride. Lots of history, lots of people watching, lots of shops and restaurants and really close and free to visit. We did that after the "Safari" and wished we had spent the whole day there.

In La Romana, take a cab to Altos de Chavon in the Casa de Campo resort. We shared a cab with others so we paid $10 pp plus $5 entrance fee. If you don't share, you'll pay a bit more. Very safe and upscale area. You might know, Altos de Chavon was built in the 1980s to look like a 1500s village. You can see the whole thing in about 1.5 hours, plus or minus. The cabbie took us to La Romana and suggested we get out to shop, but despite a very heavy police presence, it looked sketchy so we went back to the ship after that.