Onboard credit

Bilu444

the onboard credit on ncl can't be used for gratuity. we typically use it on excursions, specialty restaurants or stuff for the kids. if you decide on restaurants get your reservations early in the cruise. everyone likely has the same idea.

Can it be used towards Internet charges?

OBC from NCL can only be used on things purchased on board, ie: photos, excursions, internet package, dining, bar, gift shops, etc. It can also be used if you want to tip your steward in addition to the daily gratuity. The only thing it can't be used for is the $12 per day gratuity. The $12 DSC can be prepaid or it can go on your on board ship account.

Edited by pizzalady1

I believe onboard credit from NCL cannot be used towards the gratuities. It can be used toward internet.

As an FYI, I disagree with the reservations thing. I've never had to make advance reservations except for Teppanyaki but that is limited seating.

I am new to NCL. I am looking to book a last minute cruise that has a $200 onboard credit. Can that be used for the gratuities once onboard? Or do you prepay them when you book?

I was disappointed when I was told that I could not use OBC for gratuities. You can pre pay or let them apply them to your credit card. :(

Any OBC can be used to cover gratuities, as defined by NCL. It happens all the time. When you pay for a bar tab with the 15% auto-gratuity, OBC can be used. When you pay for a spa treatment with the 18% auto-gratuity, OBC can be used. You can even use OBC to give gratuities to your room steward (above and beyond the service charge), the concierge or your suite butler.

The confusion arises when people refuse to use the terminology that NCL has laid down. Whether you agree with calling the $12/pp/pd a service charge isn't the point. It causes confusion to call the service charge a gratuity in these discussions.

Bottom line: non-refundable OBC cannot be used to cover the service charge. Refundable OBC can be used to cover the service charge. Any OBC can be used to cover gratuities.