Computers on Voyager

panamaline

Yes, you can use your laptop aboard Voyager, but you have to pay to have your suite configured unless you're in one of the larger suites. I'm sure Marcie will address this to you. She and Tom had their suite on deck 7 configured during the world cruise.

Yes, you can use your laptop aboard Voyager, but you have to pay to have your suite configured unless you're in one of the larger suites. I'm sure Marcie will address this to you. She and Tom had their suite on deck 7 configured during the world cruise. Don't believe you can go wireless. Be advised that the internet aboard ship can be quite slow due to lack of bandwidth.

My TA advises that Voyager does have wireless hotspots available and that you can arrange to access internet through your own laptop and wireless. No specifics available as to where, what, requirements, costs, etc. But, it is available.

Many of the standard cabins were wired for laptops (ours was....#733) and they're likely in the process of wiring all the cabins. On Deck 5 you can use your wireless laptop with no problem. Not sure what the charges will be? It may depend if you're talking about a one week cruise or a full world cruise. ?????

Based on what everyone has said, I asked my TA to verify that we would be able to use our laptop in our cabin during the world cruise. Her response was that the ship HAD analog connections in the past in "some" cabins, but they no longer exist. The only hotspot for wireless is on Deck 5. You can purchase a "card" for various amounts of time -- for example, 300 minutes is $25.00.

I called RSSC myself to find out why it was no longer possible when it clearly was in the past. I was told by the rep that the only way a laptop could have been used from a cabin was through a phone line at $18.00 per minute!

Marcie, any thoughts on how I can pursue this? I don't feel like I'm getting accurate info from RSSC.

I think you are receiving some incorrect information. I know that we requested internet in our cabin PRIOR to boarding the world cruise as I was told some cabins had access and some didn't. On Day 2 a man came to our cabin and pulled a cable out from behind the TV and hooked it into our laptop. Wah-lah, we had internet access from there on.

I know we're not allowed to talk about Travel Agents on this board so I can't very well ask who yours is but I will say that I made our internet access wishes known before boarding. My TA contacted the necessary people and the rest was history. We certainly never paid any ridiculous fees like $18. per minute!!!!

Many other World Cruisers had internet access in their cabins as well. It all seemed very easy!

The issue is not petlover's TA (which she regularly plugs against board policy), but the information which RSSC gives to TAs and passengers!

It would seem that petlover didn't get the right information either!!! If you read her post she states that she was told some cabins have it and others don't...and it was Day 2 when a cable was located in her cabin. Doesn't sound like a TA issue, does it?

BTW, on the Mariner earlier this month, the price was $0.35 per minute as you go, or $0.25 per minute if you bought 100 minutes at a time. They are simply charged to your onboard account.

It is a shame that RSSC can't get its information correct.

Iamboatman and CMLF, Sorry for any confusion. What I'm trying to say is that I made my internet desire known to my TA PRIOR to boarding since we wanted to bring our laptop. My TA looked into this and notified me (not RSSC) that our cabin #733 was pre-wired for internet before boarding. Once on board, On Day 2 THEY contacted ME (not visa versa) asking if it was convenient to come to our cabin and set it up. I suppose they want to wait until you're on board to make sure that there was no last minute cabin change.

I think that CMLF is getting incorrect information from both the TA and RSSC. I just can't imagine things could have changed so much in the past few months. . IMO, whoever is quoting $18. a minute is really off base!!

CMLF, I think you will have the best luck working through your TA who can get to the bottom of it. Sorry if I didn't make myself very clear in my last response. :)

I will also add that we were told by Wayne (computer room) on board that not all cabins were pre-wired for internet. I got the impression that they were wiring as requested not necessarily going cabin to cabin, deck by deck. I'm sure their goal is to eventually have every cabin wired.

CMLF, I still stand by my original advice to have your TA get on top of this for you. Hopefully others who were recently on the Voyager (or other RSSC ships) will continue to give us all insight as to the progress.

"It would seem that petlover didn't get the right information either!!! If you read her post she states that she was told some cabins have it and others don't...and it was Day 2 when a cable was located in her cabin. Doesn't sound like a TA issue, does it?"

I'm not sure what information she got incorrectly since she is just relating her experience and trying to be helpful. There is a big difference in TA's. Some are unknowlegeable about Radisson products and unsure who to seek answers from. Others may be lazy and not want to take the extra time to follow up on your requests. If your TA fits this category, I'd keep looking until I found one who specializes in Radisson

I'm not sure what information she got incorrectly since she is just relating her experience and trying to be helpful. There is a big difference in TA's. Some are unknowlegeable about Radisson products and unsure who to seek answers from. Others may be lazy and not want to take the extra time to follow up on your requests. If your TA fits this category, I'd keep looking until I found one who specializes in Radisson

Well said - a great TA and helpful people make life good!!

Here's the latest from my TA... the RSSC rep believes that cabin 733 was connected because it is adjacent to a Seven Seas Suite which has established access. All that needed to be done was to pull the line through. Makes sense to me.

When I booked, I never looked into internet access. We've never been on such a long trip and it wasn't yet on my radar screen. I'll live with wireless on Deck 5 and maybe we'll get lucky when we're onboard and be able to work something out. It's not going to be a trip breaker.

As an aside, I'm a former TA and agency owner. It goes without saying that I was very picky about choosing with whom to book and she's come through with flying colors.

Thanks to all for your input. It is much appreciated.

CMLF, cabin 733 is next door to a Seven Seas Suite (actually both cabins have an adjoining door if ever booked by a family). This could be why the wiring was there. I'm curious about many others on the Voyager that also had internet that were NOT adjacent to larger suites?

At least you'll have the wi-fi location on the ship if all else fails! You are in for a fabulous time! It was an experience I'll never forget and a real dream come true!

RSSC is currently very busy making the Voyager as internet available as possible for the upcoming world cruise. There are hot spots on the ship and it may be a reality that all suites (not just the big suites) will have internet access - that is the goal as I understand it and heard that in a public forum just this week.

So I really think you will be fine once on board. I just think right now it is impossible to know exactly where they will be by January and therefore there is a lot of misinformation because no one knows for sure how quickly they can get all this done. Hard to promise something they are not sure they can deliver.

• 2 weeks later...

This is all very infomrative and useful - we are on a portion of the world cruise and having been on the maiden voyage of the QM2 with cabin access and many hot spots are probably a little spoiled.

Too bad we can't be happy with out the access.

I seem to remember days not that long ago when there was no radio or TV in cabins or most areas of the ship and your only world news was what the put under your door - the cares of the world were a million miles away - probably a good thing....

Now I am really confused, so here is my question, please.

We have a Seven Seas Forward Suite for our trip in December.

Will the cabin:

1. Have a computer in it? (I've heard both Yes and No on this question.)

2. If not, will it be internet ready, so that I may bring my laptop and have internet access in the Suite? If this is the case, any idea what the cost will be?

Any definite answer to this would be most helpful as I have gotten different responses from both RSSC and my TA.

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Archived