Booking got canceled

SLSH

Hello,

I am wondering if anyone can give me any advice. I am about to go on my 7th cruise (4th carnival cruise) and experienced a problem yesterday that I have never encountered before.

Normally I use a local Travel Agent or book myself online, but last July, the website was having problems so I called and booked through a Carnival Travel agent. I put our deposit down, and the agent said that the remainder would automatically be billed when it was due in November.

In November I received an email from Carnival that said, "Booking confirmation" and "welcome aboard". I misunderstood that down at the bottom, it was telling me to to pay. I assumed it was a receipt and confirmation that my final payment went through. I never heard anything else.

My husband and I surprised our kids with the cruise, so on Christmas day, I was trying to show them our booking info. The site just kept saying error. I assumed their website was having problems.

Finally, last night I thought it odd I hadn't heard anything from Carnival. I called and they told me my booking was canceled for non payment and they kept the almost $1,300 deposit. After a lot of work, she did get me re-booked on the ship, but we lost our nice rooms and we are in complete opposite ends/floors of the ship. We don't have our dining time anymore, and I had to pay a lot of money for interior rooms (almost the same price as our ocean view room).

I'm not saying that this is all Carnvial's fault. I do have a lot of the blame myself because I should have been more involved. Normally I check my credit cards, but the past few months I haven't, so I didn't notice we hadn't been fully charged.

I feel like one of the advantages of booking with the cruise line or any agent, is that they can keep you apprised of things better. I was surprised to learn that they don't send you out emails saying your booking is canceled or about to be canceled or that they are keeping your deposit. The agent I worked with never called me or let me know that my booking was going to be canceled for non payment. Or that I wasn't (when I was supposed to be) set up on automatic payments. The one email they did send me looked like everything was normal and fine.

I get promotional emails from them every day. I just think a little more contact would be good.

To say I'm devastated is an understatement. I've just never experienced anything like this before and I still can't believe it happened. Guest relations is checking to see if they can get our rooms a little closer together, but they aren't hopeful because the cruise is so soon.

Does anyone have any advice for me? Has anyone experienced this before? Should I try to push for an interior room rate from the time that I booked? (I have some screen prints and a family member who booked also). If they can't get our rooms closer, is there anything else I should try?

(I already know all the things I should have done in the beginning. I know I made mistakes also. I would change everything if I could go back in time. I am just wanting to take some of the sting our of this situation and still try to make the best of this expensive vacation. I just feel like it's been tainted.)

TIA,

SLSH

I'm sure it's very disappointing to you and your family but I think this may have to be filed under "learn from your mistakes". You could always change your travel dates for a future sailing with your preferred cabins and lower price. I just don't see how Carnival can accommodate you if they've already booked other people. Would you expect them to be moved because you made a mistake? We all lead exceptionally busy lives but to not monitor your credit card charges or fully read your emails is hard to sympathize with.

Feb '11 Carnival Elation

Nov '11 Carnival Fascination

Sep '12 Royal Monarch of the Seas

Nov '12 Royal Freedom of the Seas

Sep '13 Carnival Dream

Jan '14 Disney Dream

Mar '14 Disney Magic

Aug '14 Caribbean Princess

Oct '14 Carnival Dream

May '15 Carnival Sunshine

With plane tickets and school vacations, rebooking another time wouldn't have been an option.

Of course I know we can't have our rooms back and it's fine if you can't have sympathy for me.

I guess I'm wondering if, in people's experince,booking with Carnival's agents is typically like this. You talk with them once and never hear anything again.

Believe me, I'm trying to chalk this up as a life experience, but when you are still in the middle of it, it's hard to have that attitude 100% of the time.

Well Carnival did admit they are partially to blame and are looking into their booking agent. They wouldn't tell me what "normally happens" with agents, but she did say it would be unusual that my agent didn't call me.

Be glad you were able to rebook without losing your deposit. The reservation was cancelled, so you had to rebook at the current price with the current stock of available cabins. Nothing Carnival can do about that.

Not sure why your final payment wasn't automatically taken out on the due date. The credit card is on the reservation just for that purpose I thought. And yes you could have been sent reminders, but at the the end of the day it's up to you to keep up with your reservation. And for sure between November and January, how could you not check to make sure your cruise payment was made?

It's a longshot but if there's a roll call for your cruise, you could perhaps see if someone is willing to swap a room with you so that you can be closer to one another. Have you done a mock booking to see what cabins are available? I would do that first rather than wait for guest relations to check for you. As for your dining time, utilize anytime dining and simply go at the time you originally wanted. You can request the same table/section and server every night after the first.

I've always booked on my own or through a TA. Just once using a carnival vacation planner. I do get email reminders but being a worry wart and anal as I am, I stay on top of my vacation plans. I wish you a good cruise. Try to make the best of it.

Edited by cruizinisthebest

I don't think its unusual to not hear from a PVP after you've booked. I didn't hear from mine. I paid off our cruises only the day before final payment and didn't have any contact from her before that.

It wont help you for this time but for next, perhaps a travel agent would be better for you. I use one for my Disney cruises and I always get an email from her a couple weeks prior to final payment.

Edited by meatloafsfan

Well Carnival did admit they are partially to blame and are looking into their booking agent. They wouldn't tell me what "normally happens" with agents, but she did say it would be unusual that my agent didn't call me.

Unfortunately like in any field there are good and bad.

You unfortunately got a bad one. There are some great PVP's and there are those that once your booked they move on to their next booking since they won't be making any more money from you.

I hope you can move on from this and have a great cruise.

Bill

I am sorry this happened to you. At this point you can only make the best of a less than ideal situation.

By sharing your story you might be able to help someone else. I do have a question if I may? You said you booked thru a Carnival TA. Carnival uses two different terms, Personal Vacation Planner (PVP) and Customer Service Representative (CSR). Which did you book thru? The person that answers the 1-800# is a CSR. The CSR are more like a call center employee and just take your info or answer your questions and move on to the next person.With a PVP you build a working relationship and they tend to watch out for "their" customers.

Again I do thank you for sharing your story. We all need to be vigilant with payments regardless of booking with a TA,PVP, CSR or online our self. If the final payment is missed the booking gets cancelled.

I booked an October 2015 cruise before Christmas using our PVP. She asked if I wanted to select an option to put the remaining costs on the registered card on final payment due date. She said that would ensure we were paid if we should happen to overlook final payment was due. I had never had that option suggested and I appreciate it especially after reading OP's dilemma.

Misslucy01

We have had the same PVP for the past 7 or 8 years and have always gotten a call a week or so before final payment is due.

I also post the due date on my Outlook calendar a few days before the actual due date so I am reminded every time I open Outlook. But, as stated above, my PVP has already contacted me.

We have great pvp but she doesnt call and remind us of final payments.

Usually do get email from CCL telling us that we must pay.

However do make a note on my calendar to remind myself to take care of it in a timely manner.

I was late once and booking was cancelled but realized it in time to get it reinstated with original cabin. Learned a good lesson.

I don’t wait for a phone call from my Carnival PVP, nor do I wait for the auto pay of my final payment to take place, I take the personal responsibility to put it on my calendar to call Carnival a few days before it is due and make the payment. No surprises for me.

I think it's funny how Carnival will call you to a point sometimes that some consider harassing if you look at their web-page to book, but they don't have the customer service to call you if you may have overlooked your payment date. Yes, sure, they can cancel, but Carnival is know for some of the poorest customer service. Way to go Carnival!

I don't trust auto payments. I either pay the whole cruise off, or if I just made a deposit, I put it on my calendar and pay it off a month before it was due... I don't like to rely on others to do my business.

glad that you were able to work out the deposit though. And a room is just a room, that's the last thing that I worry about (Unless it is over the band stage)

Hello,

I am wondering if anyone can give me any advice. I am about to go on my 7th cruise (4th carnival cruise) and experienced a problem yesterday that I have never encountered before.

Normally I use a local Travel Agent or book myself online, but last July, the website was having problems so I called and booked through a Carnival Travel agent. I put our deposit down, and the agent said that the remainder would automatically be billed when it was due in November.

In November I received an email from Carnival that said, "Booking confirmation" and "welcome aboard". I misunderstood that down at the bottom, it was telling me to to pay. I assumed it was a receipt and confirmation that my final payment went through. I never heard anything else.

My husband and I surprised our kids with the cruise, so on Christmas day, I was trying to show them our booking info. The site just kept saying error. I assumed their website was having problems.

Finally, last night I thought it odd I hadn't heard anything from Carnival. I called and they told me my booking was canceled for non payment and they kept the almost $1,300 deposit. After a lot of work, she did get me re-booked on the ship, but we lost our nice rooms and we are in complete opposite ends/floors of the ship. We don't have our dining time anymore, and I had to pay a lot of money for interior rooms (almost the same price as our ocean view room).

I'm not saying that this is all Carnvial's fault. I do have a lot of the blame myself because I should have been more involved. Normally I check my credit cards, but the past few months I haven't, so I didn't notice we hadn't been fully charged.

I feel like one of the advantages of booking with the cruise line or any agent, is that they can keep you apprised of things better. I was surprised to learn that they don't send you out emails saying your booking is canceled or about to be canceled or that they are keeping your deposit. The agent I worked with never called me or let me know that my booking was going to be canceled for non payment. Or that I wasn't (when I was supposed to be) set up on automatic payments. The one email they did send me looked like everything was normal and fine.

I get promotional emails from them every day. I just think a little more contact would be good.

To say I'm devastated is an understatement. I've just never experienced anything like this before and I still can't believe it happened. Guest relations is checking to see if they can get our rooms a little closer together, but they aren't hopeful because the cruise is so soon.

Does anyone have any advice for me? Has anyone experienced this before? Should I try to push for an interior room rate from the time that I booked? (I have some screen prints and a family member who booked also). If they can't get our rooms closer, is there anything else I should try?

(I already know all the things I should have done in the beginning. I know I made mistakes also. I would change everything if I could go back in time. I am just wanting to take some of the sting our of this situation and still try to make the best of this expensive vacation. I just feel like it's been tainted.)

TIA,

SLSH

Sorry this happened. Count your blessings that Carnival credited you back the deposit that was already gone. When you make the booking, you choose to either have the final payment process automatically to your credit card on the due date, or to take responsibility for making the final payment. There is no grey area. This is not the fault of your PVP. You make the choice of the 2 at the time of booking, and you decided to make the payment manually.

Chalk it up to experience and enjoy your cruise.

Sorry this happened. Count your blessings that Carnival credited you back the deposit that was already gone. When you make the booking, you choose to either have the final payment process automatically to your credit card on the due date, or to take responsibility for making the final payment. There is no grey area. This is not the fault of your PVP. You make the choice of the 2 at the time of booking, and you decided to make the payment manually.

Chalk it up to experience and enjoy your cruise.

Actually, it sounds to me like she made the choice to have the payment come out of her cc BUT carnival/TA didn't follow through. I am thankful to the OP for posting so that I'm aware that happens! To the OP... try not to let this have an impact on your cruise. You'll spend most of your time out of the cabin and be together anyway. Family time is precious so don't let one minute get wasted worrying about something that doesn't seem changeable. Enjoy your cruise and your lucky family!

I think it's funny how Carnival will call you to a point sometimes that some consider harassing if you look at their web-page to book, but they don't have the customer service to call you if you may have overlooked your payment date. Yes, sure, they can cancel, but Carnival is know for some of the poorest customer service. Way to go Carnival!

I don't know what other cruise lines you booked with in the past but I can tell you from my recent experience that RCI is no walk in the park when it comes to customer service.

Their cruise was great but getting from the booking point to the cruise day was not a lot of fun.

Bill

We booked 4 cruises back to back for February/March. We have been on 13 Carnival Cruises before this. We have always had the payments automatically taken from our credit card. For these cruises, we booked while onboard another cruise. Recently the time came when final payment was due but all within a week of each other......don't know why. We figured it would be automatically deducted because that is what we chose. We got a letter from Carnival saying to make final payment on the first cruise or it would be cancelled. So my DH called, asked why it wasn't done automatically and they said it wasn't set up that way. So we made the final payment and "set up" the final three cruises for automatic payment. The next week we again got a letter stating our second cruise would be cancelled if final payment wasn't received. So we made the payment and for the final two cruises we just went on the web site and made the payments when they were due.

If my husband hadn't been paying attention to the emails we would be in the same situation.

From now on, we will just choose manual and do it ourselves to be sure.

Enjoy your cruise!

Two things one I have booked a cruise online and forgot to pay final they sent out emails one saying that immediate payment required fortunately I paid the day after it was due and everything was good you can always view what you owe online . two I have had problems with the future cruise desk on the ship they setup cruise while we were on-board and have us print out well I got home and tried to look up boiling number same error as you got finally called in and it had Been canceled the same day as created I'm assuming something carnival rep did and they would not help us at all we had to rebook too I will say they need to change the website so it says cruise is canceled rather then technical difficulties that is very misleading. Hope they can help you with the rooms always check booking online

Sent from my LGLS990 using Forums mobile app

Sorry this happened to you. I don't think carnival keeps the cc on file from the original deposit (or maybe I'm wrong). In the last few weeks I have been getting reminder enails to make my final payment for our March cruise and so I then accessed my booking online and I had to manually enter my cc info to charge the final paynent so its not automatically charged to the original cc. I booked directly through Carnival (no travel agent) and received 2 final payment reminder emails).

Glad they were able to rebook you and get your deposit back and still go on your cruise!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

Edited by TeresaJ