Our first cruise coming up...HELP! (Blue Hole) Montego Bay, Grand Cayman & Cozumel

Blazer25

Hi mrsfuzzmo! We will be there in about 60 days! My concern is my 3 (ages 13, 10, 9) are not very strong swimmers. Neither of them have swam anywhere other than an in ground pool. They are fairly tall for their ages if that counts for anything. Other than the Blue Hole I have not been able to find anything worthwhile at this port. I would love to experience authentic jerk and perhaps a beach or an adventure. Would you recommend the Blue Hole? Or find another option to get to Scotchies and perhaps a beach?

When we were there in Dec 2014, there were kids about 7-8. I saw a few of them wear life jackets...if that helps.

You don't need to be strong swimmers. Basically, jump into the various holes, swim up and over to the sides. The holes are not that wide. There will not be currents, etc.

Blue Hole is FANTASTIC!!!!

We will be in Jamaica for the first time with the kids in a couple of weeks and plan on going to BH. DH and I did the DRF 15 yrs ago and enjoyed it but hear it has become very busy.

We have been to Grand Cayman twice already and will be going again soon. Prior to kids we swam with the Stingrays and LOVED it but our kids weren't interested. When they were with us last time (4yrs ago) we went to the turtle farm, but likely your teenagers won't want to do that, and seven mile beach. This time all they want to do is hang out on the beach. It's beautiful and so easy to get to on the city 'bus' which is more or less a van. The island is a very expensive place to live, so you will not find much for riff-raff there. Of all of the places we've been in the Caribbean it's where we felt the most comfortable.

Cozumel we've been to 3 times and will be there again too. Last time we swam with the dolphins and I would highly recommend that if you haven't done it before. We booked outside of the cruise ship and there are lots of options for that in Cozumel. This time the kids want to stay on the ship for part of the day and then just do a little browsing in the shops. We've never stayed on board while at port so interested in seeing how that is for a bit.

With a family of 5, we've stayed away from the cruise line excursions, initially due to costs. We have had NO problems with any we booked ourselves but we've always done research here first to find reputable companies.

Have FUN!!

You will enjoy the BH for sure. look at some nice videos at http://coolblueholeochorios.com/