Cc Afternoon Appetizers

AUNTDEBBA

Hi

Was just wondering will be traveling in CC class for the first time on our 10 day Mexican Riveria Sept 30th (just in case anyone wants to join our role call) Anyway I have read with interest the comments about the perks. What I have read is that for the most part they are good except for the appetizers served in your cabin prior to dinner. The problem is that nobody ever tells you what they were or why they disliked them

So what are the appetizers you were faced with the ones you liked the ones you hated:confused:

You receive a little plate with 6-8 canopies. The are no bad just not really exciting. Things like small chunk of cantaloupe wrapped in pra****a. Little rounds of toast with a squirt of pate on it. Pretty much they are the same thing the serve throughout the cruise in the bars and lounges before and after dinner.

It isn't that they aren't eatable - they just get a little boring as the selection is pretty much the same each evening.

Yes, you can order from the room service menu. They have cheese plates. You can also just run up to the buffet and get a selection of all kinds of little sandwiches, cheeses, fruit and desserts. They also serve sushi. The appetizers are not very exciting, but there is so much food all day long, I can't imagine even worrying about it.

You receive a little plate with 6-8 canopies. The are no bad just not really exciting. Things like small chunk of cantaloupe wrapped in pra****a. Little rounds of toast with a squirt of pate on it. Pretty much they are the same thing the serve throughout the cruise in the bars and lounges before and after dinner.

It isn't that they aren't eatable - they just get a little boring as the selection is pretty much the same each evening.

What on earth is pra****a? LOL Do you mean procuitto? I think that's what they wrapped the melon in... BTW, I found that the melon i nthe canapes was usually a bit hard and underripe. Sorry to the OP, but I can't help much, they all seem to blend together after a while. I think I remember some tuna ones, on the first day I know we got brie and caviar, but I don't remember it any other day... maybe on formal nights we ot those as well. There were aso cheese sandwiches (american cheese on bread, did not care for those at all), little ham and turkey sandwiches, and vaious other things... If you book certain suites they let you choose however many of each you'd like, and you can skip the ones you don't, but in a CC cabin I believe it's just a plate with a given selection. Its tough because I'm used to canapes from rooms on RCCL, X, and American Hawaii... (I do remember liking Royal Caribbean's choices in the special concierge lounge (Brie and fruit, caviar and egg, etc)). One canape thing I remember on X that I loved were the little cheese croissants they serve on the lido buffet at tea time. Some were better than others, but I looked forward to them everyday. I don't think they serve them directly to your room, but to me they were worth the trip upstairs.

Note: This info is from 2004 on the millie and in the penthouse suite, so if the choices differ for a CC room, I apologize :(

the 1" squares of bread with everything from caviar to Cheez Wiz on them were quite stale which made them uneatable. So we check day 1 & if they are still hhorrid, then we ask for a cheese & crackers plate or shrimp cocktail instead every night.

the 1" squares of bread with everything from caviar to Cheez Wiz on them were quite stale which made them uneatable. So we check day 1 & if they are still hhorrid, then we ask for a cheese & crackers plate or shrimp cocktail instead every night.
Hi Macop,,,we did the same thing,,they were awful:o ...

MACOP, you are right they were very stale. I don't know why a ship with such good food can have certain things SO bad, i.e., the chocolate chip cookies from room service , the pancakes, the CC class canapes. Oh well. I guess everything can't be perfect.

Anne Maria

Debra -- I'm getting excited about my cruise and can tell you are also! As for the canape's, Charlie and I have never liked them. We ask our cabin attendant to put in an order every day for a cheese and fruit platter to come instead of the canapes. If you've never had the canape's before why not have those delivered and then have the cheese and fruit plate delivered also. Then you can try the canape's but have a back-up!

Hey, what did you decide for Cabo and Acapulco? -- linda

Thanks for all the info

I know there is plenty of food availbale all the time I was just curious as to why the appetizers get such negative reviews almost exclusively. It amazes me that with the quality that Celebrity food has that they do this so poorly and not only that since it appears no one likes them they have never improved them:confused:

Hey Linda you bet getting excited 36 days to go:D

In Cabo going to spend the morning at the Melia and then either lunch at the Mango Deck or go back into town to Cabo Wabo. Meeting some of our CC'ers for at least one Waborita:p also have to stop by the Giggling Marlin to see if anyone is hanging upside down taking shots:eek:

Alcapulco I am leaning to hiring a taxi for the morning, Lunch at La Perla to watch the cliff divers then the afternoon at the Hyatt. Of course that could change if I find something more exciting

I don't think the bread is stale. It is meant to be like that.

You can buy the same hard little bread rounds at your local grocer and squirt some cheez whiz and put a sliver of ham on it if you want a pre cruise taste of the canape. :rolleyes:

As others were saying there are so many options on board that are delicious. I'm sure you'll find a good substitue. If you have the late sitting the sushi is a great.

We hated the canapes. Since we hate to see any food wasted, we tried to get them to stop delivering (told our cabin steward, called the concierge desk, room service.....anyone we could think of), but there they were everyday. We think they may have just kept delivering the same tray.

What a shock that was. The chocolate chip cookies taste like they were made of sawdust not flour! DH loves belgian waffles & the waffle bar on Connie last Sept wasn't cooking them all the way so he had a mushy waffle. The head cook came over apologizing for the new cooks who do not know 2 minutes per waffle. The rest of the cruise they were wonderful!

When we commented on the canapes, we were told that no one else in CC class had complained. So he got the whole plate back every night untouched with a note, "Go ahead & eat them".

But all these mistakes go away when you get the homemade ice cream at the ice cream bar every efternoon with Jason serving......... including red beet sherbet from the Russian cruise.

MACOP, you are right they were very stale. I don't know why a ship with such good food can have certain things SO bad, i.e., the chocolate chip cookies from room service , the pancakes, the CC class canapes. Oh well. I guess everything can't be perfect.

Anne Maria

Red beet sherbert? Now that is a flavor at least trying. Isn't it amazing that you said that they got no complaints on board and that nobody does anything but complain on these boards? Guess it means that Celebrity doesn't know their appetizers stink and those that complained on the boards never voiced a complaint on the ship. Me if I don't like something I always write it down on the passenger survey

Frankly, I think sending them back with that note was the height of rudeness! What an entitled bunch we think we are. Either find a solution to the problem or just don't eat them! You won't die if you miss one little 'perk'!

Frankly, I think sending them back with that note was the height of rudeness! What an entitled bunch we think we are. Either find a solution to the problem or just don't eat them! You won't die if you miss one little 'perk'!

Well it's not the way I would have handled it either, Gail. With that sort of attitude I'd think you'd need to watch what the staff were doing to your pitcher of water;)

Phil

when we told the steward we wanted cheese & crackers instead of canapes on the first day. And the canapes kept showing with no cheese & crackers. So yes, the note was very appropriate.

Even the tropical fruit bowl wasn't brought, only the boring regular one. I used my 10 mins of Net time to voice an opinion while onboard on the service glitches & the next day tropical fruit bowl showed & the cheese & crackers showed with the chocolate covered strawberries & a note of apology from the Hotel Manager.

You know MACOP, I can see from the way you word your posts what tone you displayed with your cabin steward. You told him? What's wrong with asking? You'll probably get further. And as for using your ten minutes of free internet to voice your opinion, why not just ask to speak to the Hotel Manager directly?

I guess I'm finding it hard to understand your attitude. You used to come on the Celebrity boards with nothing but praise for the wonderful aft CC experiences you have had and now since Celebrity is too pricey for you, you can't wait for the opportunity to have a dig.

Phil

Well said, Mr Phil! Some day we must sail together!

I always try to treat the staff with respect and have always had excellent service. Demanding has never gotten people anywhere!

I certainly do wonder about that water pitcher!

We found the canapes less then impressive, but the biggest problem was having them delivered at 5:00..We had first seating and we were usually showering then. We told our cabin steward to forget the delivery...We usually had room service at 3 with cocktails instead. Enjoyed sitting on the balcony at that time...

Archived