Trunk Bay for mobility impaired

Nanner

We are planning to go from St. Thomas to St. John on our next cruise. My in-laws will be with us, and for those who have done the ferry to St. John, please help with a few questions

Are there "regular" automobile taxis, or only the open air versions available for transport to Red Hook and/or to Trunk Bay? I am a bit worried about FIL getting into/out of basically the back of a truck.

Once you are dropped at Trunk Bay beach, how long of a walk is it to the actual beach area?

While we can assist him as needed, it would really help if we have an idea how much slogging in sand would likely be required. I realize that the crowd on the beach makes the above a bit difficult to answer, but the more information we have, the more comfortable we (and they) will feel. So any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

I don't think I've ever seen an an automobile taxi at the docks. It's either a converted pick up or van.

Does your fil have a wheelchair? Many pick up taxis can take those.

There is a sidewalk from the parking lot to the sand at Trunk. However, most people park themselves closer to the water which is maybe 20 feet from sidewalk?

You can rent wheelchairs at pharmacy in Havensight.

VI Taxi Association should be able to refer you to appropriate transportation that you can reserve in advance.

We are planning to go from St. Thomas to St. John on our next cruise. My in-laws will be with us, and for those who have done the ferry to St. John, please help with a few questions

Are there "regular" automobile taxis, or only the open air versions available for transport to Red Hook and/or to Trunk Bay? I am a bit worried about FIL getting into/out of basically the back of a truck.

Once you are dropped at Trunk Bay beach, how long of a walk is it to the actual beach area?

While we can assist him as needed, it would really help if we have an idea how much slogging in sand would likely be required. I realize that the crowd on the beach makes the above a bit difficult to answer, but the more information we have, the more comfortable we (and they) will feel. So any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Try calling this number-- it is the one given on the St. John website for taxis and other transportation.

(340) 693-7530

On St. John, I have never seen anything but an open air taxi or van there, but I've never inquired about anything else.

Edited by 2PinaColadas

Your dad can sit up front...much easier to get in....about a 5 min walk to the sand ....a little less than that to the water....the only thing not easy to anticipate is getting in and out of the watwr..only a few steps and he'll be over his head...getting out there will be a sand shelf to get over....like a deep step...there will be lots of people there so feel free to ask for all the help you need....people are so kind....I swim like a fish but walking is a challenge....with support your dad will have a blast!...we have made many trips there to the point that the lifeguard recognizes me and has commented that i'm a much better snorkeler than a walker....there will be someone in the water in a kayak keeping an eye out...hope you have a great cruise....I will be there a week from tomorrow!

The last time I took my mom on a cruise we were able to use a wheelchair the ship had for the entire week, including taking it on shore. There was no cost, and the staff were outstanding in helping to get her around and on and off the ship. She did not regularly use a wheel chair but the long distances and sometimes rocking of the ship made walking too difficult for her. We were on the Celebrity Solstice. Check with your cruise line.

Trunk Bay can be very difficult to get out of if there are waves, I've gotten rolled in them a few times! However, it is a beach not to miss.

Most lines will not allow you to use a wheelchair other than initial boarding and departure....would not count on this and have one rented and waiting for you in the cabin....the ships are so long and getting from one end to the other can suck up a lot of energy....