Atlantis or blue lagoon

hankonthecouch

We will be in Nassau in March and were looking for some quite time at the beach. I have read that if you are on the beaches of Nassau, they have vendors that non-stop ask you to buy something. So we are going to spend the money for beach day passes, and wondering if we should go to blue lagoon or Atlantis for the day.

The Blue Lagoon is very nice with Dolphin Encounters and such- but it is a bit of a ferry ride there. Last year, we took a ship's excursion out there so as to be back at the ship in time.

Two other options we enjoy are the British Colonial Hilton near town and the Melia on Cable Beach (Cable Beach has many good resorts.) These places all have good websites with good photos.

When we were at the beach at Atlantis, the surf was too rough for swimming. Not as pleasant as Cable Beach.

Edited by cruiseapril

Blue lagoon is one of the most beautiful beaches ever.

Well worth the ferry ride, which is very relaxing and scenic.

Wonderful excursion whether you do the Dolphins or not.

Jumping in quickly, is Blue Lagoon through Carnival or can we get there on our own? We are kind of picky about beaches (we're in NJ, we can go to a beach any day) and always try to find the whitest sand and clearest water, and I'm hoping with your statement about Blue Lagoon that this could be it for Nassau.

Jumping in quickly, is Blue Lagoon through Carnival or can we get there on our own? We are kind of picky about beaches (we're in NJ, we can go to a beach any day) and always try to find the whitest sand and clearest water, and I'm hoping with your statement about Blue Lagoon that this could be it for Nassau.

I looked at Carnival's website and did not see Blue Lagoon as one of the offered excursions. I went to BL during a Norwegian cruise. You can get to BL on your own. You can make a reservation at their website (bahamasbluelagoon.com), or I suppose you can purchase a ticket on the spot (their website does say spaces are limited, but I don't really know if reservations are necessary).

Getting to BL on your own, you'll need to walk from the ship to the Nassau town area, and take a taxi to the Paradise Island Ferry Terminal (land taxi is faster; water taxis are also an option but they may take longer), where you would purchase your tickets for the ferry to BL (or pick up your tickets if reserved or pre-purchased). The good news is that, on the return trip, several of the ferries will return passengers to the dock area (after making a brief stop at the Ferry Terminal), so you won't have pay for return transportation by taxi. I believe that it is only the final returning ferry (either 3pm or 4pm departure) that does not go back to the docks, it only goes back to the terminal.

Just curious: did you already consider Balmoral Island beach (Carnival's private island)? I don't know anything about Balmoral but you can search these threads for reviews. Just wondered if you considered it as one of your beach options. I did enjoy my day at Blue Lagoon; I went there mainly for their Sea Lion Encounter. But for the sole purpose of a "beach day", I enjoyed more my following day at NCL's private island, Great Stirrup Cay.

It's a process to get there. We got off the ship and booked it at the desk, they got us a cab to the ferry.

But, it is beautiful!

However, when the ferry came back to get us, the waters had gotten rough and they could not get in the narrow pass. We had to walk about a mile to the other side the island to the old dock! With two kids, 100 degree heat, that was not fun.

So reverse that process when we got back. We almost missed the ship. We were literally running to the ship. Just be careful of you go and make sure the ferry times.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums