Bringing Wine onto Jewel

rd4sun

We were just on the Jewel 2 weeks ago. Three of us in a junior suite and 2 of us each brought 2 bottles of wine in our carry ons. No problems, no questions asked. We did not put any in our luggage that was to be delivered to the room.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've asked this elsewhere; why not put 2 in the carryon and your cabin mate let's say 10-20 people back in line also carry on 2? I don't see that they can easily or reasonably cross reference both of you. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I've asked this elsewhere; why not put 2 in the carryon and your cabin mate let's say 10-20 people back in line also carry on 2? I don't see that they can easily or reasonably cross reference both of you. Please correct me if I am wrong.

This might work if you get an inspector at check-in that does not note on the computer reservation that the 2 bottle limit has been reached. RCI has indicated that they are supposed to flag the second person in the same cabin bringing additional wine onboard.

Normally no problem Once in New Orleans, they had port security logging every bottle and handing out receipts. BTW, it took for ever. I almost just give them the bottle to avoid the line. A couple of other ports we think we've seen this but managed to walk past and ignore (Vancouver). So, the answer to your question is it depends.

There is a duty free shop in the SJU port terminal. It's a little more expensive for wine, but I got a nice one. RCCL says 2 bottles per cabin, but you can get back off the ship to get your 2 bottles if you've forgotten yours. Then you go thru a different line to get bak on board.

Getting on the Jewel in San Juan there is a bottle shop in the terminal.

When we were finished getting through the checkin line and with sea pass in hand, we were sitting in some chairs waiting for our friends to get checked in. At the last minute I decided to go and buy two bottles of wine to bring onboard. I get the premium drink package but sometimes like to have wine in the room for when I am getting ready for dinner. I bought the wine, put it in my carryon and went back to wait for our friends. I did not get back into any line. Then we boarded.

I never had anyone check me for my wine. But to not be checked you must already have gone through the security line. So I guess if you wanted to bring more than two bottles per cabin, you could easily do it in San Juan.

What has been your experience with bringing wine on board at embarkation on the Jewel? Know they say 2 bottles per cabin...... How much can you actually bring?

My last cruise, which was Jewel last year,I brought on 6 bottles.

2 in carry on, 2 in checked, then g/f had 2 in her carryon.

Just note that your checked luggage willl be delayed as it will get additional screening. I always tell the room steward that I have the alloted 2 bottles of wine in my checked bag and they will go get them for me.

Just do not take out the other 4 bottles until you get your checked bag and even then I typically dont take out all 6 bottles and put them on the dresser, just 2 at a time.

Getting on the Jewel in San Juan there is a bottle shop in the terminal.

When we were finished getting through the checkin line and with sea pass in hand, we were sitting in some chairs waiting for our friends to get checked in. At the last minute I decided to go and buy two bottles of wine to bring onboard. I get the premium drink package but sometimes like to have wine in the room for when I am getting ready for dinner. I bought the wine, put it in my carryon and went back to wait for our friends. I did not get back into any line. Then we boarded.

I never had anyone check me for my wine. But to not be checked you must already have gone through the security line. So I guess if you wanted to bring more than two bottles per cabin, you could easily do it in San Juan.

Yep, San juan is just a lax port, lol

You can certianly exit the ship get more wine go back on, get off get more wine, etc. lol

As in my original post I always thought you went through security first before you checked in. So at security they do not even know what cabin you,re in unless they check your docs which I believe they do BEFORE you put your carryon, on the belt. That person checks the docs and that is the extent of it and then you get in line for the scanner. I've never seen security long in any info. By the way issuing receipts for alcohol, that's a new one for me. As you can tell I am still confused.

As in my original post I always thought you went through security first before you checked in. So at security they do not even know what cabin you,re in unless they check your docs which I believe they do BEFORE you put your carryon, on the belt. That person checks the docs and that is the extent of it and then you get in line for the scanner. I've never seen security long in any info. By the way issuing receipts for alcohol, that's a new one for me. As you can tell I am still confused.

I've read reports where some terminals are pulling aside people with wine and keeping track of stateroom number and number of bottles. I don't recall what terminal was reported.

I've read reports where some terminals are pulling aside people with wine and keeping track of stateroom number and number of bottles. I don't recall what terminal was reported.

Happened to us in New Orleans. Once in Vancouver, they ask us to step over to the table. Assumed that that was what was going to happen so we caught a quick case of the dumb's. Not that we were violating the rules, but just didn't want the hassles. If I'm within the rules, why do I want to spend another half hour in another line?

Do they check to make sure that it's actually wine? There are some brands of margaritas and other pre-made cocktails that come in "wine" bottles.

I would think that would depend on the security guard you get. My parents-in-law like to empty 2-liter Sprite bottles and then fill with liquor to get it through the line. I don't think anyone has every opened the bottle to test it.

In years past we would put actual liquor bottles in our luggage and never had a problem. The last couple of years I decided to stop being cheap, or maybe it was the damn walk back to the cabin, and have quit trying to sneak booze onboard.

On our last cruise a buddy replaced his Sprite and mouthwash bottles with liquor and it never made it to the cabin. In another bag he had alcohol infused gummy bears in a Tupperware container and it too was confiscated.

I would think that would depend on the security guard you get. My parents-in-law like to empty 2-liter Sprite bottles and then fill with liquor to get it through the line. I don't think anyone has every opened the bottle to test it.

All they have to do is shake it. Alcohol bubbles differently.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Do they check to make sure that it's actually wine? There are some brands of margaritas and other pre-made cocktails that come in "wine" bottles.

ready-to-serve-cocktails

Sorry--I should've been more clear. These are pre-made mixed drinks in bottles that look like wine bottles---not alcohol put into pop bottles or shampoo bottles. You'd have to look at the labels to see that they're not wine.