Has anybody else noticed that prices are up 50% from last year?

krisko

I agree, pricing is over the top. This is the first time in 14 years that I don't have a cruise booked. I used to think that Royal and Celebrity were head and shoulders above everybody else. With the cutbacks, that's not so, in our opinion. We recently tried HAL and Princess recently, and found the gap between these cruiselines to be very small. They all have their pluses and minuses. I've compared pricing, for similar cruises sailing around the same time, and found HAL and Princess to be much cheaper for the same category of cabin. Because of the benefits I get for being Elite Plus/Diamond member, it's hard to walk away, but I think, if things don't change, that day will be sooner than later.

I sympathize with some of what you said, but if you really search for the deals you will find them. The trick is to book as early as possible, or be willing to take what cabins are left and book last minute. Then you will find the lower prices.

I agree Becci -- very early or very late. We've been doing very early lately and have still been getting good deals. The new "promo game" that all the lines are playing is annoying, but it can work to your benefit if you play it properly. For example, I just booked a cruise on the Norwegian Escape (brand new ship coming out later this year). The rate was a little inflated in my judgment, but the inclusion of ultimate beverage packages for both DW and I puts us well ahead of the game value wise.

There are still deals to be found, you just have to work a bit harder.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Let's see, rci sails around 1000 voyages a year, have you checked all the prices:rolleyes:

By the way there is a 10 nighter for 636pp out of Baltimore.

I was reading these posts thinking the same thing. Yes, some prices ARE higher. lets face it the vast majority of these posts are about Oasis and Allure - meaning these are the ships you WANT to sail. Economics 101 - supply and demand - if there is a large demand, the prices will be higher. These ships continue to command a premium due to good demand.

There are still great bargains out there in the RCI fleet, but you need to be less picky. If you "want what you want when you want it" you will pay a higher price. If you can be flexible prices are good (leaving monday on Brilliance - $62 pp/night taxes and gratuities incl.)

Also IMHO, RCI prices have been pretty steady, but Carnival and NCl have dropped SIGNIFICANTLY due to bad press and market conditions. I have friends getting 7 night cruises for $350 pp.

My take is RCI still offers a better experience and it is worth a bit more.

In short, RCI prices APPEAR to be rising because other lines are falling.

Just my $.02.