January in West Caribe - how are the seas?

LakeErieLive

We have sailed mainly in March/April, but due to retirement (yea!!) can sail in January. The significant other needs as calm a sea as possible.

Wondering if you veteran cruisers have an opinion on the seas in the Western Caribbean in January. Considering the Miracle out of Tampa with the intent on visiting as many Mayan ruins as possible. Any opinions there too.

The sea would NORMALLY be fairly smooth in Jan. But the sea doesn't know that so it could change. You'll probably be fine.

Mayan ruins? Even in Jan. it will be hot.

Overheard reboarding in Cozumel: "Those ruins were a rip off, they're all man-made." :D:D Not the attitude for best enjoyment.

Dan

I've cruised in Dec. & January. In 2002 we sailed out of N.O. to Jamaica, Caymans, & Cozumel. Not the smoothest two days down there I gotta say. The seas were extremely choppy as the crew attested to it is the worst they had ever seen. This tells me it is rare so you should be ok. However, you never know what mother nature has in store. But again, that could happen in April!

I've booked this cruise (different ship now) for April 2006 so it must not have been to bad huh? lol

Happy sailing & enjoy your retirement!

We cruised in March last year and it was very windy and choppy seas. They almost didn't get to dock in GC because of it. We had heard that the Eastern at the same time couldnt dock at all because of the winds that week. They said that the high winds are usually done by March...so I would think that means they are high in Feb. possibly January....not sure :confused:

We've been cruising over New Year's and/or in January for too many years to tell! :D

January is our very favorite time to cruise!!!!!!!!!!

The only "Western" Port that has ever been a problem was Grand Cayman! Maybe, it's just the way Grand Cayman is ... :confused: didn't get to stop there over Easter once :confused: ... who knows. :rolleyes:

As far as Cozumel and the ports of call SOUTH of Cozumel, we have never had any problems at all in January.

Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

Archived