Onboard credit question

pklopp

Hi - was going to book parasailing at HMC and noticed that if the port is cancelled, if would be refunded in onboard credit. Can that credit be used towards the bar bill or just towards other purchases? Thanks

Peggy

I think that if you don't use up the full credit (someone correct me if I am wrong), that you would get a refund at the end of the cruise.

If both of you had booked parasailing and it cost (for example) $150 pp. If it was cancelled and $300 was credited to your shipboard account and you did not spend the full $300, I think you would get the balance refunded to you in cash.

Yes, I just booked it and it said that if the credit was not used entirely to go to the purser's desk for the refund - I see that being no problem to use up the $138 when we would still be sailing for another 5 days!!

Thanks, again, as always my questions get answered by the knowledgeable CCers.

Peggy

Yes, I just booked it and it said that if the credit was not used entirely to go to the purser's desk for the refund - I see that being no problem to use up the $138 when we would still be sailing for another 5 days!!

Keep in mind, though, that your shipboard account will already have $60pppd in it... so for 2 for 7 days, you have to put $840 on the account to begin with (plus the $10pppd auto-tip).

Keep in mind, though, that your shipboard account will already have $60pppd in it... so for 2 for 7 days, you have to put $840 on the account to begin with (plus the $10pppd auto-tip).

Not exactly, TPGA. Your account will not be billed $60/pp/day unless you spend that much. However, HAL will get 'authorization' from your credit card company to charge you for up to that much per day. $840 of funds will be authorized by your cc company to be 'held' for charges to your HAL ship acct. Therefore, HAL is assured the funds will be there IF you charge that much, but nothing will be on your shipboard account until you actually incur the charges.

It is only a problem if you have a very low limit. If so, $840 of your limit is 'reserved' for HAL, but not actually charged to you. However, if you had a $900 cc limit then you would only be able to spend $60 off the ship without contacting your cc company to get your limit raised.

Not exactly, TPGA.

Thanks for the clarification, peaches. I guess I think of it that way because we don't *do* credit ... period. Therefore, we'll be pre-paying most of it in cash and the rest of the authorization will be from our debit card, so for *me* it actually will be there... and I forgot it doesn't work that way if you're using a credit card.

Two things to add here...

- my Aquatrax excursion at HMC was cancelled and my payment was refunded onto my shipboard account and could be used for anything I wished

- my shipboard credit/tips were prepaid and in the end I had a $23 refund that the Front Desk refunded to me in cash yesterday morning...no problem at all

When we were on the Oosterdam in Feb/Mar 2004, we had a young couple in a suite on their first cruise and they didn't know anything about the $60 per day per person being held by HAL. They had booked a hotel for 7 days after the cruise (which they didn't know had held so much money per day) and after the second port they discovered they could no longer charge anything. They spent a couple of hours talking with the concierge who couldn't help them. The concierge sent them to the front office - still didn't get anything resolved. Their charge card was DONE!!!!

When we got off the ship Cozumel, both of them were on the pat phones calling home for help.

There are so many people out there who don't know about hotels and cruise lines being able to "hold $60 - some hotels are more - but they shouldn't be). It is really happening to the younger generation who have been accustomed to charging anything at stores and never having those kinds of holds put on them,

Archived