NEED ADVICE:Blue Hole or Dunn Falls w/toddlers

partyof6+2

Hi, we are a large group of 17 people ranging in ages from 2 to 75. We have never been to Jamaica. I have contacted a few tour/travel companies in Jamaica and some of them insist on Blue Hole, rather than the more crowded Dunn River Falls...however, I am a bit concerned about safety. Those who have been to both, especially if you've been with little children, could you please weigh in on which do you think is safer for toddlers and elderly alike, especially which of the 2 has more shallow areas for toddlers to play.

Thank you!!

Hi, we are a large group of 17 people ranging in ages from 2 to 75. We have never been to Jamaica. I have contacted a few tour/travel companies in Jamaica and some of them insist on Blue Hole, rather than the more crowded Dunn River Falls...however, I am a bit concerned about safety. Those who have been to both, especially if you've been with little children, could you please weigh in on which do you think is safer for toddlers and elderly alike, especially which of the 2 has more shallow areas for toddlers to play.

Thank you!!

I have been to both and personally wouldn't take a 2 year old to either. Hands down...Blue Hole is MUCH MUCH MUCH better than DRF. For the older people in your group, how is their mobility?

On our trip last month, the first day of the cruise our 4 year old daughter was jumping around (playing) and ended up hurting my husband's toe. He went to the blue hole with us, but watched since his toe was so swollen. I think there were 4-5 jupms we made (I don't remember the exact numbers), all but 1 was fairly easy. You also do not have to jump if you don't want.

What cruise line will you be coming in on? On Royal, if your child is 3+, they provide childcare while you go and explore the port. Our daughter LOVES the adventure ocean and in some ports we left her on the ship with the Adventure Ocean. WE've done this on every cruise since she turned 3. Before that we had her grandmother on the cruise with us. :-)

Is your safety concerns about the tour operators or the Blue Hole excursion?

Edited by jen70

Thanks for your reply. We will be on the Norwegian Epic. First time in Jamaica and have read that the Dunn River falls are a must, but the tour agency recommended Blue Hole. I don't think my 70+ peeps can jump for sure and at least 2 of the 3 have mobility issues or get tired rather quickly...I don't even think I want to jump as I'm afraid of heights :P

The youngest traveler is 2, so I have to bring him..but I really don't want to leave anyone on the ship as we would have been at sea for 2 days before getting there.

Is there a shallow area of water where senior can sit and younger can play, while older have fun? Or do the younger have to be carried up/down the falls?

Personally I would not take a 2 year old to either. I do not recall shallow ends for them to play/splash around in. Dunns River Falls is way too crowded.

Have you thought maybe a beach day?

Also, most of the jumps aren't that high. I have fear of heights too and did all of them. Two of them I wouldn't do again....I was petrified but did it anyway.

Another option: originally my mom, aunt and uncle were supposed to join us on the tour. They are older, less mobility and not much of a sense of adventure as the "middle" generation. Our tour operator was going to drop us off at the BH and take the elder people in the group out to Ocho Rios for sightseeing or shopping. Just a thought if you really want to do the Blue Hole. In the end, the three decided stay back at the port and shopped.

Edited by jen70

Thanks. I guess I really wanted to do something together and thought maybe the falls would work, but I'm pretty sure we will have to split in 2, the beach goers and the falls/BH group separately.

Thanks for your input!

Thanks. I guess I really wanted to do something together and thought maybe the falls would work, but I'm pretty sure we will have to split in 2, the beach goers and the falls/BH group separately.

Thanks for your input!

Our annual family cruise had 12 people (last month). Our daughter stayed on the ship, that left 11 of us for the tour...then the 3 elders in the group decided on the day we docked that they didn't want to go.

Anyway - I understand and empathize with wanting to do something as a group. I felt the same way. But over the years of coordinating our family cruise, I came to let that go - as we have wide range in ages and likes. Your group will be together for the ride to Ocho Rios and have lunch together. The 1 1/2 you spend at BH they can do something worthwhile, rather than sitting around at BH since you already paid for the transportation. They can go to Shaw Park or Sun Valley Plantation. They are nearby. However, let me note that I haven't been to either these two - just read about it on cruise critic and tripadvisor.

My final 2 cent.s :-) promise.

• 2 weeks later...

Jen, where did your hubby sit and watch? I'm looking for somewhere for my MIL to sit and watch from. Is it nice to walk around the area there? I'm thinking my MIL could go for a walk with my 4 year old while the rest of the family jumps.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to give a quick follow up.

We finally decided on going as a group (of 17) to the Blue Hole. First let me just mention that we used Errol Bowen (Travel Jamaica Tours) and we HIGHLY recommend him! He is fantastic. We felt completely safe the whole time. he took us to a great spot for pictures, then the girls in the group wanted braids and he had the perfect, inexpensive spot. He then drove us to a fantastic beach and entertained us the whole way telling us everything about Jamaica. He is super friendly, knowledgeable, courteous and just an overall great guy. Trust me, you will have a great time with Errol and his air conditioned van :)

In regards to the Blue Hole, there is an area for elders and children to stand and watch others jump, however, there is no real sense of safety. If a child escapes his guardians grip it is very possible to fall off the cliffs as the banisters are quite precarious and children can very easily get under them. I have a 2 & and a 4 yr old and both are very curious and hyperactive and my parents, who were watching them, had quite the challenge in keeping them safe. For those of us who did the jumps we had a blast even though the current was pretty strong, so if you are not a strong swimmer, make sure you mention to the guides as they will keep a closer eye on you. My husband lost our camera that he had (not so)securely fastened to his wrist. I guess the pull from the rope broke it and the camera fell to the bottom and could not be recovered, despite the heroic efforts of the guides diving to the bottom to see if they could spot it. So a bit of advice, do NOT jump with anything, no hats, glasses, cameras etc..

Overall we had a great time, but if we go again, I will not bring small children or elders with mobility issues or that tire easily. There is a sitting area in the shade, but you cannot see the jumping from there.

Jen, where did your hubby sit and watch? I'm looking for somewhere for my MIL to sit and watch from. Is it nice to walk around the area there? I'm thinking my MIL could go for a walk with my 4 year old while the rest of the family jumps.

As party+6 mentioned, there really isn't a place to go for a walk. My hubby walked and stood as ledges, etc. I wouldn't recommend bringing a 4 year old. We left ours on the ship at the kids club...she loves it there!!! So it's win-win for both of us.

My hubby wished he was able to join us but he hurt his toe on the first day of the cruise, courtesy of our 4 y.o. jumping and landing on it. :-(

I don't think anyone has mentioned that Dunn's River Falls is in a large, park-like setting. Very fresh and very beautiful! There are wide stairs that head down the hillside along side the falls and anyone who doesn't want to climb the falls can go back up those. (There are restrooms and I think small pay lockers at the bottom of the steps, too, for the few that want them.) From areas along those stairs, you can easily stand and watch those climbing up the falls and get great photos as well. At the bottom, there is a beach. The water is pretty calm to the sides of the section where the fresh falls water enters the sea, at the base. There are no big waves or anything and the sand is nice. So little ones can go into the water there as long as they have an adult with them, or they can play in the sand. There is food for sale in the park, and hairbraiders if you are into that. (For a fee, of course!) Thing is, if you could somehow manage to plan your tour so that you wouldn't be there with 200 other cruisers all trying to do the same thing at the same time, it would be SO much better! We managed to go 3 times and lucked out on 2 of them as we b just happened to be either in between tour groups or before or after the heavy crowds. (We just had taxi vans take us.) One tip: there is an area I call "the gauntlet" you go through near the usual exit area. (Or at least there used to be.) If you can get your driver to pick you up back at the entrance, you will save yourself from being heavily hassled to buy stuff. Also, IF you plan to climb the falls, bring water shoes if you have any. There are also road side stands where they sell them. (I haven't been there in about 6 or 7 yrs. but those were cheaper than getting or renting them in the park at that time.) I think the reason a lot of people advise skipping DRFs is simply because of the crowds. It really is a beautiful area! Prettier even than in photos.

Edited by mlbcruiser

Sorry about some mistakes in the wording and flow of the post above. I was in the process of editing it and was suddenly interrupted. Unfortunately too much time had passed for the edit to be allowed so I wasn't able to submit an edited version.

• 2 months later...

If you haven't already decided, check out turtle river falls. We decided to try it when we visit Falmouth. Haven't been yet, but looks like it will be safer option for kiddos, but they can still get in the water and play. Plus they have an aviary included in the fee where you can feed the birds out of your hands!

Just wanted to give a quick follow up.

We finally decided on going as a group (of 17) to the Blue Hole. First let me just mention that we used Errol Bowen (Travel Jamaica Tours) and we HIGHLY recommend him! He is fantastic. We felt completely safe the whole time. he took us to a great spot for pictures, then the girls in the group wanted braids and he had the perfect, inexpensive spot. He then drove us to a fantastic beach and entertained us the whole way telling us everything about Jamaica. He is super friendly, knowledgeable, courteous and just an overall great guy. Trust me, you will have a great time with Errol and his air conditioned van :)

In regards to the Blue Hole, there is an area for elders and children to stand and watch others jump, however, there is no real sense of safety. If a child escapes his guardians grip it is very possible to fall off the cliffs as the banisters are quite precarious and children can very easily get under them. I have a 2 & and a 4 yr old and both are very curious and hyperactive and my parents, who were watching them, had quite the challenge in keeping them safe. For those of us who did the jumps we had a blast even though the current was pretty strong, so if you are not a strong swimmer, make sure you mention to the guides as they will keep a closer eye on you. My husband lost our camera that he had (not so)securely fastened to his wrist. I guess the pull from the rope broke it and the camera fell to the bottom and could not be recovered, despite the heroic efforts of the guides diving to the bottom to see if they could spot it. So a bit of advice, do NOT jump with anything, no hats, glasses, cameras etc..

Overall we had a great time, but if we go again, I will not bring small children or elders with mobility issues or that tire easily. There is a sitting area in the shade, but you cannot see the jumping from there.

I am so glad to read this! This is the exact info I was looking for. I heard how beautiful Blue Hole was and wanted to go, but we will have our two year old son and I will likely be pregnant when we go. I think I am the only one out of our group of 4 who would have done the jumps, lol. I was considering going and wearing my son on my back for the walk, etc., but if I can't even take him into the water then we will choose something else. :)