Mayan Ruins - Which are better Chacchoben or Tulum?

KMB2014

Hi!

We're traveling on the Dawn on 1/25 and definitely want to see some Mayan ruins and are trying to decide which to choose between Chacchoben or Tulum? Any recommendations? It will just be my husband and me. I saw Tulum about 25 years ago but my husband has never been to either site.

Thanks!

Tulum is good because it has such a wonderful setting, which can't be beat - and if you haven't been there in 25 years, you will see how it has changed - no climbing on any of the temples, different entrance, no parking near entrance, but shuttle and or walking. There are tons of people visiting there, so can get crowded.

Chacchoben is in the jungle and has more interesting buildings than Tulum and is from an earlier period.

If you are visiting Tulum from Cozumel, keep in mind that it is a very long day.

Chacchoben is a much shorter drive. If you go, be sure to buy fresh pineapple in Limones on the way.

I have been to many of the Maya sites and think that they are all special.

I loved both. Tulum is amazing just for the location whereas Chacchoben is in the jungle and doesn't have that 'wow' factor. However, the journey to Chacchoben is much shorter and doesn't have a possibly rough sea crossing to the mainland. Tulum is a VERY long day.

We've been to both, enjoyed both for different reasons, but Chacchoben would have to be my favorite.

Tulum has beautiful ocean vistas, but the ruins are pretty much just that -- ruins.

At Chacchoben you can still climb the pyramid (at least you could when we were there, YMMV), and see the vista from above the treetops. I loved the jungle. I loved hearing the monkeys. We had an excellent guide who taught us a lot.

Tulum is very hot. Chacchoben is more temperate because of the jungle setting.

Whatever you choose, I hope you enjoy it to the max!

I have been to both as well. I enjoyed both, but Tulum is more impressive. Some of it has to do with the setting on the ocean which also makes it a very unique Mayan ruin. You can also swim in the ocean, knowing that this is where the Mayan moored their boats. It was not crowded when we visited Tulum. We hired a guide in the village where the shuttles bring you to the ruins. Very memorable.

We haven't been to Chacchoben yet, but have plans to see it in December.

We have been to Tulum, Lamanai, Kohunlich, Chichen Iza, and Uxmal. They are all awesome sites for their own unique reasons.

Maybe viewing my wife's picture slide show will help you decide. I'll insert a link to Tulum below. You can see the other Mayan sites through the links in my signature block.

Turn up your speakers to listen to the background music as you watch the slide show. It starts automatically when you click on the link.

Tulum Shore Excursion

Happy cruising!

Edited by JimAOk1945