Quantum Class through Panama Canal?

Hi everyone,

I have these pics posted in my review during the All Access Tour, but forgot to post them genrally here for those of you who don;t read through reviews. These photos were taken in the engine control. The chief engineer had this document and several others with Quantum facts spread out across the table for any questions we may have.

Can someone with knowledge tell me whether they feel if Q can get under the Bridge of Americas? (note: Quantum has 15ft telescopic funnel that can come down)

DSC03098_zpsaf339f75.jpg

DSC03099_zpsba0c9519.jpg

Thanks for sharing that fact sheet, some extra numbers we haven't seen before. These are more accurate and official than even the ones we do know.

She will fit through the new Panama Canal as long as she lowers her funnel. I believe the only class of ships that can't are the Oasis class. They can actually fit into the locks but the lifeboats hanging over the side make it far to susceptible to damage with the clearance so close so they will never be allowed through. The fact that they were forced to lock the funnel in place may also prevent her from passing under the bridge. Oasis 3 & 4 will have Quantum style retractable funnels so the bridge won't be a problem but the way the lifeboats hang will still prevent them from passing through.

Edited by DEIx15x8

She will fit through the new Panama Canal as long as she lowers her funnel. I believe the only class of ships that can't are the Oasis class.

The new Panama Canal is easy I believe... it's the Bridge of Americas that's the problem. I think you meant that though.

I don't think Voyager or Freedom Class can get under either. I'm not a sailor, but putting together some numbers I couldn't make it work. Re: Voyager Class specifically one Capt in the fleet told me no, another said yes.

Edited by Hoopster95

The bridge has a listed clearance of 61.3 m (201 ft) when at high tide. I was reading those two heights as the raised and lowered heights of the ship. Maybe I'm interpreting it wrong though. Just looked up the Verrazano and that has a clearance of 69.5m which is plenty of room for either height so those must be lowered funnel heights. Not sure what the difference is.

Edit: I just looked back through my noted from the technology announcement when Richard Fain first made it known that the funnel retracted. The numbers that he gave were that the Verrazano had a clearance of 71m. The Quantum with funnel extended is 73m and with it retracted is 68m. So based on that 61.3m seems out of the question. I'm not sure how accurate these number are though or the Hudson has a massive tide because every time we sailed under the bridge we had plenty of clearance and they barely lowered the funnel if at all.We had to be at 71m at a minimum in height based on the percentage they may have lowered it.

Edit2: Looking at the two numbers given for height on the sheet, they are in fact 15ft in difference, the same amount that the funnel retracts which makes it even more confusing.

Edited by DEIx15x8

• 2 weeks later...