Zuiderdam - Eastern Caribbean

sghetrick

Hi,

My husband and I are sailing with the Zuiderdam in October and this is our first time with HAL. I was hoping anyone would be able to give us some information on the ship or VA category rooms - such as amenities. Also, any tips would be helpful.

Thanks!!

Sghetrick

We are also traveling in Oct on the Zuiderdam. Make sure you try the Pinnacle Restaurant. There is an extra charge but well worth it in my opinion. Absolutely great food and service. Great burgers by the pool and the salad bar at the buffet is very good. Ask away if you have any specific questions. Many on this board will be able to help you.

Hi,

My husband and I are sailing with the Zuiderdam in October and this is our first time with HAL. I was hoping anyone would be able to give us some information on the ship or VA category rooms - such as amenities. Also, any tips would be helpful.

Thanks!!

Sghetrick

DW and I are sailing on Zuiderdam on Oct.1st. When Oct. are you going to be on Zuiderdam?

Richard

I guess it all depends on whether you get an aft balcony or a side balcony. I have had both and the aft balcony seems to be a bit bigger/longer than the other. One drawback in an aft room, depending on which deck you are on, is the engines that you are right on top of. If the noise/vibrations don't bother you then I would go for an aft balcony.

With regards to room size, the cabin is plenty big for two people but I wouldn't go any further than that, even though there is a fold out couch in the room. My cabin was 8105 (starboard) this past week and it was perfect for me.

Thanks for the information - My husband and I are on the Zuiderdam on the 15th of October. I actually got a great deal through orbitz where I got a pinnacle grill upgrade and two bottles of wine served at dinner. So definitely looking forward to that since you guys recommend it!!

How are the beds and the bathrooms in VC rooms - is everything cramped or comfortable?

Just got off that ship yesterday. Would reccomend the Pinacle grill every night. Worth every penny. Dining Room service terrible and the food not any better. Pay the 20.00 each every night you won't be sorry. The service is unbelievable and the food excellent.

I wouldn't exactly say that the diningroom service was terrible, just rushed. As long as you can get a reservation at the Pinnacle, I would grab it/them. The service and meal are well worth the $20 each night and I am sure that Peter and Gus (oops Agustiana I should say...) will take good care of you while you are there. :)

I would not say that we were rushed. I would say that the service was slow and very unorganized. The formal night of the baked Alaska, the parade of the Baked Alaska was long before we even had our entres. Did not even get steak knives for cutting the meat had to use the regular dinner knives. What a fiasco. Three times we sent back food, could not seem to get a simple request right. we just wanted a steak with no gravy, bernaise, or anything. Really a simple request, too complicated for our waiter. Now I'm not sure where you were and at what time you were seated for dinner but service was terrible in the diningroom last week. Book the Pinnacle it is worth every penny!!!!!

Just got off that ship yesterday. Would reccomend the Pinacle grill every night. Worth every penny. Dining Room service terrible and the food not any better. Pay the 20.00 each every night you won't be sorry. The service is unbelievable and the food excellent.

I'll have to disagree with you there... Perhaps early seatings are rushed because the waitstaff must turn around the restaurant for the main seating. Main seating tends to be a little more relaxed because there is no urgency to clean the dining room. The Baked Alaska Parade is held just before the upper level dessert time, which is during the second course on the lower level.

As to the overall service, we found it to be quite good. I would have preferred my dirty dishes removed more promptly, but generally it was very good. Food quality, while it has suffered budget cutbacks, was also very good and beautifully presented. We had no trouble getting specially prepared dishes (fish sauteed instead of grilled, e.g.) or a quarter-head of iceberg instead of exotic weeds (which I much prefer).

Candy <-- will do it again in August

Archived