Do you think they favor TA's when upgrading

hjlanda22

What do you think about the upgrade system?????

Do you think they favor Travel agents and give thier customers upgrades before there own? (to keep them happy)

Or do you think it is more likely they would upgrade thier own customers rooms (on a guarantee booking) first before any TA customers????

Does anyone have any thoughts on this or FACTS???? I would like to know as sure many others would.

Basically I am refering to a person whom does not use an agents or carnivals agents.... but someone whom called in on there own and made the booking for themselves......

THANKS ALL

Don't even try to speculate... there is no rhyme or reason... over the years, there have been 100's of threads and ever kind of story imagineable... bottom line, there is no "system" that anyone can figure out.

No, I dont believe so.. everyone has their own beliefs on how it works. I believe the person who pays the most for that particualr cruise will get upgraded before a person who books over a year out.

No, I dont believe so.. everyone has their own beliefs on how it works. I believe the person who pays the most for that particualr cruise will get upgraded before a person who books over a year out.

you know I am looking at prices a year out and they arent that diffrent from what 3 months out......... I wonder why that is that the upgrades would go to late bookings.... you know what there needs to be a poll something like....

Did you recive an upgrade oyes 0no

What ship did you sail

and/or what was your upgrade 0 withen cat 4 (interior) just a higher deck

0 cat 4 to a cat 5

you know excetera you know what I am going to post something like that look for it........

you know I am looking at prices a year out and they arent that diffrent from what 3 months out......... I wonder why that is that the upgrades would go to late bookings.... you know what there needs to be a poll something like....

Did you recive an upgrade oyes 0no

What ship did you sail

and/or what was your upgrade 0 withen cat 4 (interior) just a higher deck

0 cat 4 to a cat 5

you know excetera you know what I am going to post something like that look for it........

There have been several polls just like that, that come to the conclusion that it doesn't matter. If a cruise is selling well, it will be higher priced closer to the cruise date... I have booked a few months out, and as far out as 16 months... and had different experiences. There is just no rhyme or reason, and that has been the bottom line in all the polls.

O I C hmmm thats strange there has to be some system to it unless a guy is sitting there randomly picking out people.... Hey quick question... I know someone whom booked a oceanview Guarantee and just got the room number turns out it is a oceanview WITH and OBSTURCTED view! I dont think that is fair at all she did pay good money to get that oceanview guar. do you think she can do anything about it,,,,, it just does not seem right you know.... or is that just the way it is sometimes

Do you think they favor Travel agents and give thier customers upgrades before there own? (to keep them happy)
No.

Or do you think it is more likely they would upgrade thier own customers rooms (on a guarantee booking) first before any TA customers????
No.

The "system" as it were, is based on a myriad of factors, and a series of algorithms that would rival the invention of the flux capacitor.

Method of booking is not one of them.

O I C hmmm thats strange there has to be some system to it unless a guy is sitting there randomly picking out people.... Hey quick question... I know someone whom booked a oceanview Guarantee and just got the room number turns out it is a oceanview WITH and OBSTURCTED view! I dont think that is fair at all she did pay good money to get that oceanview guar. do you think she can do anything about it,,,,, it just does not seem right you know.... or is that just the way it is sometimes

If they book just an oceanview guarantee, they can get an obstructed view... if they book a 6A guarantee they won't... they paid less to get just a standard oceanview guarantee, so while they paid good money, they didn't pay as much as the person that booked a 6A GUAR rather than an OV GUAR...

There very well may be a system, but it is one that nobody has figured out yet... so there really is no need to stress over it because it is a code that can't be cracked :D Those that don't want the hassle or stress, should book an assigned cabin... those that want to save a little money and enjoy the intrigue, should book a guarantee...

I know someone whom booked a oceanview Guarantee and just got the room number turns out it is a oceanview WITH and OBSTURCTED view! I dont think that is fair at all she did pay good money to get that oceanview guar. do you think she can do anything about it,,,,, it just does not seem right you know.... or is that just the way it is sometimes
If she booked an OV guarantee, that would include the obstructed view cabins. If an obstructed view was unacceptable, then she needed to *not* book the guarantee, or at least book a high enough category guarantee that would preclude the assignment of an obstructed view cabin.

You pays your money and you takes your chances.

If she booked an OV guarantee, that would include the obstructed view cabins. If an obstructed view was unacceptable, then she needed to *not* book the guarantee, or at least book a high enough category guarantee that would preclude the assignment of an obstructed view cabin.

You pays your money and you takes your chances.

yeah I get it.... BTW this is not a friend of mine it was a question that was brought up by someone that I know..... I uderstand what you all are saying though..... I was just thinking an ocean view is an oceanview and an abstructed view well..... it almost seems like you are getting jipped you know...

yeah I get it.... BTW this is not a friend of mine it was a question that was brought up by someone that I know..... I uderstand what you all are saying though..... I was just thinking an ocean view is an oceanview and an abstructed view well..... it almost seems like you are getting jipped you know...

People just need to inform themselves before just plopping down money... then they wouldn't run into these problems :o

People just need to inform themselves before just plopping down money... then they wouldn't run into these problems :o
But that would require a rational thought process. :rolleyes:

No.

No.

The "system" as it were, is based on a myriad of factors, and a series of algorithms that would rival the invention of the flux capacitor.

Method of booking is not one of them.

Just to simplify and clarify your flux capacitor allusion...

In conjunction with a magnetic field and the load, the flux capacitor uses the hierarchical structure of the cosmos as a timer! The trilamination of the tiny spheres with selected metals and their subjection to a magnetic field and current (sustained by the load) destabilizes the orderliness of the proton, the heavier atom and the "tissue" of individual layers of metal. The matter then seeks to re-establish itself in the "fractal set."

The biggest factor, I would have to guess, would be simple availability. How many people got guarantees vs a specific cabin? How sold out is the boat? Does anyone know what % of a certain cabin type are sellable as "guarantees"? Better yet, is there any way of finding out how close to capacity a ship is?

The biggest factor, I would have to guess, would be simple availability. How many people got guarantees vs a specific cabin? How sold out is the boat? Does anyone know what % of a certain cabin type are sellable as "guarantees"? Better yet, is there any way of finding out how close to capacity a ship is?

I would also throw into the factoring who paid in full the soonest.

The agency I used to work for was a huge Carnival producer. At one time we tried to figure this out with the thousands of guarantee bookings we had done. We thought that if there was a pattern we could game the system -- tell the clients to make their final payment a little earlier than the due date or whatever to have a better chance at a good upgrade.

We often had 10 - 12 gtys booked on any one ship/sailing so we could look at those fairly equally. On one sailing it might look like early bookers had a better chance of a good upgrade then the next week it would be the opposite. The same with the cabin fare paid, past-passenger status, you name it.

With all of those bookings to look at we never saw a distinct pattern. Going in I would have guessed that a past passenger had a better shot than a first-timer but it doesn't seem to be that.

Just to simplify and clarify your flux capacitor allusion...

In conjunction with a magnetic field and the load, the flux capacitor uses the hierarchical structure of the cosmos as a timer! The trilamination of the tiny spheres with selected metals and their subjection to a magnetic field and current (sustained by the load) destabilizes the orderliness of the proton, the heavier atom and the "tissue" of individual layers of metal. The matter then seeks to re-establish itself in the "fractal set."

OOOOOOHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

I have no facts. However, I would think that they MAY give preference to a TA that books 100 or 200 cruises a year over an individual booking. Also I think that a TA that has booked your cruises in the past with expectation that they will continue with your business will go the extra mile over the customer with no history or relationship. Those ideas seem like very good business sense. I have talked to very sucessful TAs that will not attempt to get a booking from those that obviously are just calling to get the cheapest fare with little intention of booking. They prefer to work for and with their established clients that send them referrals. Make sense to me. The cheapest price may not be the best value.

Don't even try to speculate... there is no rhyme or reason...

Wish I had seen this thread when I pondered this same question earlier this week. Glad to know there wasn't an answer because I never could make sense of any of it. It's probably like everything else in life....not what you know but who you know.

I agree with Hdawson. My girlfriend and I have been on 7 cruises, 6 on Carnival and 1 on the Grand Princess. On our first cruise on Carnival, we picked our cabin and was not upgraded. On our 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th cruise on Carnival we booked a gurantee cat. and were upgraded to cat 11 suite. On our only Princess cruise, we were upgraded to the PH suite. On our last cruise on Carnival with my girlfriends family we were all upgraded to the Panaroma deck.

All and all I think our TA that we use for all our cruise and land vacations had a lot to do with the upgrades.

JR

We sail in November and have been given our actual room number has anyone had an upgrade who have been allocated a room?

it happens but is very rare- if you do not want to be moved youhave to let the agent know toput into your booking not to upgrade.

I would also throw into the factoring who paid in full the soonest.

You would think so--but it dont work that way either. From reading peoples post I believed this also-- SO ibooked the legend over a year out and paid in full. Reading since there is only 1 deck of oceanview cabins the chance of an upgrade is there. (i paid very cheaply- people booking after me paid over 200 more pp) no upgrade but they did give me an awesome cabin.

Also-- on the Conquest class ships.. the obstructed baclonies are across the front of the cabin and these are 6B, 6D and 6E cabins so even booking a 6A could get you a obstructed oceanview

What do you think about the upgrade system?????

THANKS ALL

I think it is: 2 guys, 1 room, 40 darts, 3 lists, 8 hours.. Although Teff could be right:

Archived