Changing Dining Tables at Embarkation - When / Tipping?

What time is the Maitre'D typically available on embarkation day? There are 6 in our party, 4 of which are booked with a group and 2 that are with a different TA. We were unable to take care of this beforehand due to the group thing (or that is what I was told anyway.) It'll really be a bummer if we can't get seated together. Also, if the Maitre'D is able to make the switch for us, what is an appropriate amount to tip for this?

TIA!!

Tina

Tip - no tip necessary

Time - About 2pm, it will be in your compass

Weird that you can't take care of it now. I have been on cruises using serveral TA's without a problem getting the bookings linked, thus the table is together.

Goodluck

Dawna

Thanks for the quick reply!

I am a bit frustrated about it because it seems that there is a way but that my TA doesn't want to bother with it. Just my impression because I called RCI and was told that it could still be done by the TA through the group booking phone number. When I called the TA I was told that the dinner assignments have already been made and that because the other party was not part of the group booking (and was from another TA) that we would have to take care of it onboard.

It just seems like there is a possibility of getting it taken care of before boarding, but I know that most people have already received their docs, etc. I don't know what to think other than to plan on a trip to the M'd when we get onboard. :)

Tina

If you're staying in a suite....will the conciege be able to change your dining room arrangements or should you still go to the dining room?

Thanks

You should go to the Dining Room, I don´t think the Concierge is able to handle this but even if he could he is not available that early that the Maitre is.

We have encountered this problem before. Since some of your party is from a group booking, it can be hard to fix before you cruise. Your agent MAY NOT be lazy or refusing to help.

When you get onboard, have all names, all cabin numbers. One of the Ass't Maitre D's will be situated eitehr outside the dining area or a table near the purser's desk. You can work with him to make the change.....a $10 0r $20 can often times help clarify what tables are available.

Been there, done that.

• 1 month later...

I don't think I would tip for this one. From what I understand it is frowned on.

You can't "pay" for a table. If you could it would be a bidding war for the best location or seating time.

You can give him an extra tip on tip night, but I suggest avoiding it the first day.

JMO

Bobbie

Archived