Excursions in the Bahamas

Mrfishingexpert

Sorry for posting so much, but the last few post I did got very helpful answers, so thank y'all! Next question, what are some excursions y'all recommend in Key West, Freeport, and Nassau? Going on the Magic 7 nights on 3-15-15 to those 3 ports. First cruise I did was 5 nights on the Triumph to Progresso and Cozumel. This is my 2nd cruise. I loved the dune buggies and snorkeling in Cozumel!! Anyway, what are some good shore excursions in those 3 ports? I'm already doing the Behind the scence tour on the ship. Thanks!

Stay on the ship in Freeport and Nassau... It's the best excursion you will have....

The behind the scenes tour is pretty awesome

In Key West, mostly water activities or wandering around town.... If you have the time and money, try the Dry Tortugas.

Edited by poison7fl

in nassau, here's a walking tour that hits on a lot of the points of interest right around (and obviously within walking distance) the port:

470640-mp0405nassauwalk.jpg

with explanation here:

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/new-providence/722464#sthash.5XM1YhOM.dpbs

i've done that and stopped in at a few of the spots on the tour like fort fincastle and the queen's staircase, the library and a few others too - like actually visiting the senate chamber in parliament square (they don't really offer tours but i met a nice security guard hehe).

also within walking distance is the british colonial hilton, they have a day pass available with food / drink vouchers, etc. - it's right next to the port. there's a pirate museum in the same area.

you can also take the water taxi right next to the port over to atlantis and walk around there on your own if you like as well.

in freeport, lots of people say just stay on the ship but fact of the matter is you have to plan to do something away from the port as there's nothing in the immediate vicinity.

my favorite spot in freeport is paradise cove at deadman's reef:

http://www.deadmansreef.com/

there's great snorkeling right off the beach - walk into the water and swim out to the reef, it's great! they have packages including snorkeling or kayaking, etc. for 35 adult / 20 kids including transportation, and you can get a basic lunch, etc. there too.

Our best snorkeling has been in Freeport. We took kayaks out to Peterson's Cay, snorkeled around the island, had lunch and paddled back to the beach. It was like swimming through different habitats as we circled the island. Simply amazing.

We did a snorkel beach excursion on Nassau. I don't remember what it was called but they took us out and past the Atlantis quite a ways. Snorkeling was so-so, but that beach..... The most magnificent blue water with white powdery sand I have ever felt. I have pictures on my wall it was so amazing. I've looked on Google earth and I think we had to have been on Rose Island.

In Nassau we rented a day room at the Sheraton for $99, it gave us a place to keep our things safe and shower before retuning to the ship. The day room allows you full use of the property, all pools/hot tubs and access to the beach, lounge chairs and non motorized water sports.

We've been to Nassau several times for land vacations.Lots of great stuff to do.

Pirate's Musuem is behind Senior Frogs a block or so. It's cheap. A little cheesy, but where better to see pirate stuff?!

Blue Lagoon Island. Again, we went while on a land vacation but there were a lot of cruise passengers there. The ticket includes the ferry over )about 20 minutes or so). There is a quiet beach....dolphins if you choose, etc. Our day included lunch, beach mats, & chairs. We've also been there for the dolphin experience. The ferry runs regularly to take you back.

The straw market is a great place for souviniers.

The Poop Deck has 2 locations. We've eaten at the one at the base of the toll bridges by the fishing boats. Great food !

You can get a day pass for the Atlantis, which will give you beach and water park. However, you can also rent a room at the Comfort Suites which is across the street. It's the only hotel that gives it's guest full access to the Atlantis. 4 people to a room = 4 wristbands. Check their website & remember the Bahamas has per person per night surcharges. Check in....get your wristbands....check out. Walk across the street & enjoy your day. Saves you going back later. There are showers and lockers, etc by the Beach Towers/Cave Grill.

You can also take the public bus to the Fish Fry area. Local eateries and a beach.

The first time my wife and I went to Nassau, we were disappointed, we didn't really like it. But, we only stayed close to the port. The second time, we did an excursion which included the Ardastra Gardens and a sight seeing tour. Ardastra Gardens was great, if you like animals. I regretted that we didn't have more time to spend there. If I were to go back, I think I would catch a taxi there, instead of a tour bus, to be able to spend more time there and not be rushed.

Another thing was while in the building at the port... There was a woman selling conch fritters down at the end of the building, they were delicious!

Been to Nassau a few times on AI holiday as well. We always enjoy a drink at Senor Frogs, and the last time we visited the Pirate Museum. We have walked all along Bay Street and visited the shops and market, which was rebuilt the last time we were there (2011) Atlantis is a great place to visit also. We found it a little expensive for food and drink, but we enjoyed the tour of the aquarium.

We have only been to Freeport once on an AI at the Radisson Lucayan Beach Resort. We met people there who were on a day pass from a ship out of Miami. Nice beach and pool. Enjoy

Went to Blue Lagoon Island in Nassau. It takes around 30 minutes by boat from the cruise port to the island, including a short stop in a small port to take in non-cruisers. When you get there, you will be surprised by the clear, blue water and the super white sand. There are dolphins too! Couldn't wait to get in the water when we arrived. Haha. The "buffet" lunch wasn't really a buffet 'cause I couldn't go for another round. Boo... If you wanna get souvenirs, there's a small shop that sells all kinds of 'em. There are also showers and restrooms for your convenience.. If you want a quiet and relaxing stay in Nassau, then Blue Lagoon is the island for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OMG! Don't stay on the ship in Freeport! Head to Paradise Cove for snorkeling!

Here's their website: http://www.deadmansreef.com/

Contact them and they will arrange to pick you up at the port. Look under "cruise ships" on their website. Adult fare is $35 for round trip transportation, equipment and a beautiful beach! For $6 extra, they'll throw in hot dog lunch. IMHO, I would rather pay extra for some Bahamian food! They have a bar, gift shop and a shady deck.

in nassau, here's a walking tour that hits on a lot of the points of interest right around (and obviously within walking distance) the port:

470640-mp0405nassauwalk.jpg

with explanation here:

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/new-providence/722464#sthash.5XM1YhOM.dpbs

i've done that and stopped in at a few of the spots on the tour like fort fincastle and the queen's staircase, the library and a few others too - like actually visiting the senate chamber in parliament square (they don't really offer tours but i met a nice security guard hehe).

also within walking distance is the british colonial hilton, they have a day pass available with food / drink vouchers, etc. - it's right next to the port. there's a pirate museum in the same area.

you can also take the water taxi right next to the port over to atlantis and walk around there on your own if you like as well.

This is terrific information on Nassau. We've been there many times and were running out of ideas. This may just be the thing for us this time. Thank you for sharing!

We did a jeep tour in Freeport. My husband and I had a jeep to ourselves, although they normally put 4 to a jeep. We had a great time and saw parts of the island most cruisers don't see. They left time to visit one of the beach clubs for a short swim. We would recommend it to anyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My family went with Pat & Diane's for snorkeling in Freeport. It was great. We did the package with snorkeling and lunch on a beach. snorkeling was good, food was good (my adult son said it was the best meal of the trip) and the staff were wonderful. they even called me the day before the cruise to tell me they had been advised our ship was coming into Freeport an hour early so if we could start our excursion earlier and have more time. so we did!