OCD Planner's ~ EXPLORER ~ 5 Night Pictorial Review 1/4/15

ace1zoe2

Did the equivalent tour on Radiance last September, we got to keep our lanyards and passes but didn't receive any bags or aprons so I think you got the better deal :D

You'd think the tours would all be the same. Lunch, no lunch. Gifts, no gifts. Our description did say we would receive souvenir moments so i knew we would be getting something.

I agree in your case, we did get the better deal. What are you going to do with a lanyard & tag? The burlap bags are a nice size but when I unpacked the little fibers were all over everything so not sure how often I will actually use it.

I have the larger canvas bags that zip that have inside and outside pockets that we received way back when when you used to get a welcome back gift on your bed when boarding. I love it. It big enough to put towels & stuff for the beach or to use to bring all my carry-on stuff on the plane.

Cindy

Is it your birthday, or someone in your family? If it is yours, I want to wish you a "Happy Birthday". And if it is someone else, I wish them the same.

Still following along on your awesome review. Loved the pics of your All Access Tour. Really looks interesting. If we ever have a big amount of OBC, I would seriously think of doing that tour.

Thanks again for all the time you are taking in doing this review. Greatly appreciated.

Gwen :)

Hey Gwen,

Thanks for asking. It was my birthday on Wednesday & we waited for the weekend to celebrate. Went to dinner with my son, DNL & GS (the only kiddos I have left in town) at the Olive Garden. The gave me a cute little monogrammed travel bag for toiletries and a Maroon 5 CD because the know that Adam Levine is my "boyfriend" in another life. The bag is real cute & I can't wait to use it on our next cruise :)

Cindy

I'm really loving your review! I'll be on the Explorer in October and I enjoy getting to know her. Thank you for sharing!

Lauireal,

Thank you so much for reading my trip report and taking time to post. You will have a fabulous time onboard!

Enjoy & Happy Sails!

Great Review. I cried when I was reading about the couple in Portofino, as did my former Marine, husband............

Will be sailing on her this Sat with 5 girlfriends, so really enjoyed the pictures and the menus.

Could you make Portofino reservations ahead of time?

Helaine

hmorrow,

Wow! I'm jealous. Wish I was getting back onboard on Saturday with my girlfriends.

You can make reservations ahead of time online but you have to pay for it when you book it.

I would wait until I was onboard and then go straight to Portofino's and make your reservations then. One person can go and take all the room numbers and they will charge it to each room individually that way. You can also find out when formal night is if you want to skip the MDR and do Portofino's that night.

Also they generally run a special the first night of the cruise for a percentage off the normal price to get people in there. I think it was 20-30% off. It varies by ship.

Have a wonderful time with your friends and have fun "making memories"!

Cindy

I am determined to get this report wrapped up today! So here we go...

After our tour ended we headed to Johnny Rockets for lunch. There was about a 20 minute wait before we were seated. We've eaten at JR before on other ships and it's a fun time with the waiters dancing occasionally during the time you're there. It's styled like a 50's malt shop with the oldies music going.

There is an up-charge of $5.95 per person for the meal itself. Drinks (including fountain drinks and shakes) are extra. If you have C&A coupons on your Sea Pass there is a BOGO (buy one, get one) coupon for a shake.

They have hamburgers, hotdogs, veggie burgers, salads, chicken salad, fries, chili fries, cheese fries, chili cheese fries, onion rings, etc. You can have whatever you want to eat for the one cover charge including dessert of your choice (sundaes or apple pie a la mode).

I took a couple of pictures here but they weren't worth posting.

After lunch it was finally our time for the Ice Show in Studio B. As mentioned before, there were 4 show during the week. There were two shows on each Sea Day and everyone was assigned a show depending on what Muster Station they had. Ours was the last show of the week.

We have previously attended the ice shows on Adventure, Navigator & Voyager of the Seas. This was a new show for us and we both enjoyed it very much. We are in awe each and every time at how they can perform on such a small ice rink and still do the flips and jumps that they do.

This show was definitely worth seeing. Besides the RCI performers, there was a special performer onboard, Dimitri, who did a performance on the huge ring. He was phenomenal as well.

Christmas was over and Santa was now on vacation on a cruise in the Caribbean!

IMG_5330_zps7d4c5468.jpg

Please excuse the quality of the pictures... we were not allowed to use a flash. A few pictures from the show:

IMG_5333_zpsc3b29a4a.jpg

IMG_5342_zpscfdac544.jpg

IMG_5350_zpsf1e63724.jpg

IMG_5352_zpsd341a279.jpg

IMG_5355_zps6bd866ae.jpg

Did the equivalent tour on Radiance last September, we got to keep our lanyards and passes but didn't receive any bags or aprons so I think you got the better deal

You'd think the tours would all be the same. Lunch, no lunch. Gifts, no gifts. Our description did say we would receive souvenir moments so i knew we would be getting something.

I agree in your case, we did get the better deal. What are you going to do with a lanyard & tag? The burlap bags are a nice size but when I unpacked the little fibers were all over everything so not sure how often I will actually use it.

Cindy

On Voyager OTS in 2013, All Access Tour guests during my sailing (Perth, Australia to Singapore) received those same hessian bags, with one apron (not two) inside. But we also got to keep the Lanyard and tour tag!

I'm not complaining :D;)

EDIT: And I forgot to add... the Voyager OTS All Access Tour was broken up with an exclusive morning tea / finger food break on Deck 4 of the MDR while it was closed. It was really great. The only thing which took a mark away from perfection was the tour did not visit backstage of Studio B :(. But other than that, a great opportunity :)

Great pictures, by the way! Explorer OTS is on my shortlist of possibilities when it travels on down to this part of the world! :)

Edited by marquisite

IMG_5388_zps2ef3c630.jpg

IMG_5391_zps5c7f82f8.jpg

IMG_5395_zps82cdc0e9.jpg

IMG_5399_zps17c9b63c.jpg

IMG_5401_zpsb2f05034.jpg

IMG_5403_zps5ca551cd.jpg

Again, the Ice Show is well worth an hour of your vacation! I highly recommend it. I also recommend taking or wearing a jacket and long pants because it is chilly in Studio B!

The rest of our final day we just took it easy, had dinner, packed our bags and turned in early. We had signed up for self-assist and our time to be downstairs with our bags was between 7:45am-8:45am.

We decided to skip breakfast the final morning & just get off the ship & on our way. For self-disembark, the aft half of the ship was to meet in the MDR on Deck 4 and the front of the ship met in the Theater on Deck 4.

When we arrived the line was already out the MDR doors and to the area between the rear elevators. We stood in line there for probably 15-20 minutes before it ever started moving. I guess they were waiting on clearance from the port authorities. Finally once the line started moving we walked in the MDR and all the way around the balcony area & back out the front doors then proceeded to the outside deck were we heard the final "BOING" from our Sea Pass.

Once off the ship the lines moved fairly quickly, in a constant flow for the most part. There were some older folks having a hard time with their luggage (no wheels) trying to carry it and they kept having to stop to rest so that was the only hold up. After going thru customs we breezed right outside to the shuttle pick up point. Every car rental agency was there except the one we needed, Budget. Apparently they just left, so we waited about 10 minutes and then we were on our way. We were one of the first couple of shuttles to arrive so the agency wasn't backed up yet. I stayed outside with the shuttle waiting for the lady to offload all the bags and by the time I got ours hubby was back outside with the keys.

We had a later flight home around 6:15pm so we had a day to spend seeing the area. We decided before we left that we would spend the day in Cocoa Beach on the recommendation of our daughter, who had been in July when they took an anniversary cruise, and others from Cruise Critic.

The first thing we did was stop at a nearby Racetrac to get morning drinks and a bite for breakfast. When we got back in the car hubby's phone was ringing with an 800# so I told him to go ahead and answer anyways. Turns out it was our credit card company's fraud department calling to verify some purchases. I had called them before we left home and advised we would be using the card in Florida and possibly Cozumel and the Bahamas in an emergency. We never used the card outside the U.S.

Anyways, there was a purchase from Apple for $1.00 that we had not made. Immediately afterwards there was a $60 purchase from Microsoft that also was not ours. They said they would be shutting down hubby's card right then and would overnight a new card to our home to arrive the following day. My card was unaffected and luckily they caught it quickly as no other unauthorized purchases have posted to our account.

After that phone call we finally headed on to Cocoa Beach which was a short drive away. We drove through the small town first to get a feel of the layout and the decided to be tourist and take a trip to the Ron Jon store. It was definitely quite a store. Two floors of merchandise related to the beach and outdoors. We spent an hour or so there just looking around. I ended up buying a cute dress to wear on our next cruise and hubby got a shirt and we bought a short set for our GS back home.

IMG_1560_zpsdd86206b.jpg

IMG_1555_zps71032d51.jpg

IMG_1557_zps14294c90.jpg

Then we headed down to the "downtown" area near the beach, found a place to park on the street for free for 3 hours and set out in search of The Fat Kahuna. Our daughter said we HAD to eat there. She has raved about it for the last 5 months and said that she would drive 3 hours from Jacksonville just to eat there.

We found it on the corner just before Coconuts on the Beach. It's a very small restaurant with a few tables outdoors and a few indoors. It has a Hawaiian theme and food.

IMG_1561_zpsb7228a7a.jpg

IMG_1562_zpsdc9323c7.jpg

When we sat down they brought out a hummus and chips. It was VERY good. We had the best waitress ever. She was so friendly and the service was stellar. She recommended a wine, which my daughter had also just told me about this past week, which I decided to try. Hubby ordered fish tacos and I got the shrimp tacos and we shared. The food was SO good. The BEST fish/shrimp tacos that we've had anywhere to date and we've tried a good amount of places. The sauces and spices were de-lish! The one thing I wasn't crazy about (but my daughter absolutely loved) was the coconut rice. It has a sweet taste to it and I'm a savory/salty person so it did not appeal to me.

IMG_1563_zps2c47d074.jpg

What a fabulous review! I thoroughly enjoyed the behind the scenes tour photos and review. We are on Explorer in May.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Very great review!

Can't wait to sail her in February!

Thanks Guys! I appreciate you taking time to read the review and comment. I hope you both have a fabulous cruise!

Cindy

Fat Kahuna's is the best restaurant in Cocoa Beach, hands down. At dinner time, reservations are encouraged, if not mandatory ( to avoid disappointment). As you photo shows, there can't be more than 7 or 8 tables inside. Service, food, portions, wine...the entire package is fantastic- and unforgettable.

Thanks for posting the photos!

By the way, the red wine that I tried was Dreaming Tree by Dave Matthews (Dave Matthews Band)... just let me say that that Dave knows a thing or two about making a great wine!

After our lunch we walked a short ways (1 short block) right past Coconuts and out onto the sands of Cocoa Beach.

IMG_5410_zps87aca71d.jpg

IMG_5411_zps08b656a1.jpg

IMG_5412_zps9b3e7879.jpg

IMG_5413_zpse7dea290.jpg

It was a VERY windy day and there were not too many people out on the beach. We did see a couple of guys surfing in wet suits.

IMG_5416_zps7ea8e0f7.jpg

We were both walking around in fleece jackets! It started out a little hazy looking down the beach but cleared up within the hour or so we walked down the beach and then a block over to the main street in town and back to our car.

IMG_5415_zps9e56414f.jpg

After a couple of selfie-shots on the beach we headed up a boardwalk that came up between a couple of smaller hotels and out to the main street.

IMG_0458_zps63caf3b2.jpg

IMG_5427_zps2aa27d4c.jpg

IMG_5430_zpsf5423ea5.jpg

And that my friends was pretty much the end of a wonderful vacation! Now I have to wait (impatiently) until mid-September for my next cruise fix. Our next trip is pretty special since it will be a Pacific Northwest Coastal cruise which RCI hasn't done in 5 or so years.

It is an 8 night cruise from Vancouver, BC to Long Beach, CA with an overnight in San Francisco and 7 port days! Every single port will be a new adventure to us (with the exception of Vancouver which we've been to twice on a Hawaiian and then Alaskan cruise tour) and we can hardly wait. I'm already behind on planning for this one with these previous two so close together. I do at least have my flights and pre-cruise hotel booked but that's it. I've got to get busy now researching and deciding what we'll be doing in each port and how we'll do it - rent cars, HOHO buses, private tours... so much to ponder!

I'm so that I will do a trip report for it as well but not sure how much it will help others since there are only 4 scheduled for 2015 and not sure if it will be on the 2016 schedule or not... but I can't not do a review! (I know, that was a double negative)

I hope you all enjoyed 6 days out of my life and I thank for you for taking your time to read and make comments.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.

IMG_0462_zpsc01def76.jpg

Sunny Days, Calm Seas & Happy Sails to All!

Cindy

Edited by ace1zoe2

Fat Kahuna's is the best restaurant in Cocoa Beach, hands down. At dinner time, reservations are encouraged, if not mandatory ( to avoid disappointment). As you photo shows, there can't be more than 7 or 8 tables inside. Service, food, portions, wine...the entire package is fantastic- and unforgettable.

Thanks for posting the photos!

Jim,

I agree! I'd definitely go back in a heartbeat. We loved it.

Cindy

Thanks for the great review. It was so interesting as we were on the same sailing as you, but I never did see us in any of your pictures, haha.

We were at the same ice show and agree, it was fantastic. Dimitri was incredible, we were saying he must be super strong! And we noticed Santa too, he was sitting across from us.

Thanks again!

Thanks for the great review. It was so interesting as we were on the same sailing as you, but I never did see us in any of your pictures, haha.

We were at the same ice show and agree, it was fantastic. Dimitri was incredible, we were saying he must be super strong! And we noticed Santa too, he was sitting across from us.

Thanks again!

melk,

Thank you for taking time to read & comment. I'm sure we passed somewhere along the way and never knew it!

Cindy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

There were a couple of other things that I meant to include about the All Access Tour and their recycling efforts.

We were also told that besides the oil that is donated to the Haitians, that all the wooden pallets are also donated. They use the wood from the pallets to build homes and shelter. Even the smallest things that we take for granted can help save someone else's lives or make it better for them.

Guess where all the money goes that is received from selling all of the recycled metals, bottles, glass, aluminum, tin, etc?

First I thought the Haitians, then I guess employees and was correct. They put the money in a fund and it is used to reward the employees with gifts, prizes, parties, etc. for doing their part in the conservation and recycling.

The employees have to separate all that garbage including food. Food that would be edible by fish is ground in to pulp and released into the sea. Thinks that cannot be eaten such as bones, etc is incinerated onboard.

Any how, just thought I'd share that interesting bit of info that I forgot to include in that portion of my report.

Cindy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thanks Cindy for another awesome adventure and review. I will miss the Explorer. We have so many wonderful memories of our times on that ship and all the friends we met through the years. You brought a lot of memories back with your pictures and review.

Thanks, too, to Charlie. He's an important part of your adventures. ;)

Looking forward to your next trip. Sounds wonderful.

I think that you did a really good job with this review,! Lots of pictures, and information for everyone!

We had this same cabin as you did, last week, and I thought that it had the worst balcony view ever! I could not get past all of the structure in the way, because I love looking down at the sea, but I am glad that it didn't bother you that much.

To answer a question about the suite waiting area, in terminal 1, it is open to JS guest also. I also don't recall an area in the dining room for gold cards, for breakfast and lunch, but I think that they had a concierge lounge near the back elevators, but I forget which deck it was on. Maybe they served some breakfast and lunch in there.

Also, on our cruise, they offered before dinner snacks, in the Diamond nightly event area. I guess they made some changes, between your cruise and ours. I also miss having the Diamond lounge though, as it is a nice place to relax, especially in the mornings.

Thanks again for taking the time to post all of the info!

Thanks Cindy for another awesome adventure and review. I will miss the Explorer. We have so many wonderful memories of our times on that ship and all the friends we met through the years. You brought a lot of memories back with your pictures and review.

Thanks, too, to Charlie. He's an important part of your adventures. ;)

Looking forward to your next trip. Sounds wonderful.

I think that you did a really good job with this review,! Lots of pictures, and information for everyone!

We had this same cabin as you did, last week, and I thought that it had the worst balcony view ever! I could not get past all of the structure in the way, because I love looking down at the sea, but I am glad that it didn't bother you that much.

To answer a question about the suite waiting area, in terminal 1, it is open to JS guest also. I also don't recall an area in the dining room for gold cards, for breakfast and lunch, but I think that they had a concierge lounge near the back elevators, but I forget which deck it was on. Maybe they served some breakfast and lunch in there.

Also, on our cruise, they offered before dinner snacks, in the Diamond nightly event area. I guess they made some changes, between your cruise and ours. I also miss having the Diamond lounge though, as it is a nice place to relax, especially in the mornings.

Thanks again for taking the time to post all of the info!

Thanks you both so much! I'm glad that you enjoyed the review.

Thank you A Pisces for answering the questions previously asked by other posters. Sounds like you had a wonderful trip!

Cindy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really enjoying your review. My husband and i and another couple are cruising explorer Jan 21st and we are so excited! same itinerary ... what do u suggest for nassua... we are beach lovers. And do you have any insider tips or things we must do or experience while on board? Any info is greatly appreciated!

-SJ