What do do in Athens with a baby?

ChelleyP

Hello,

We are cruising this Spring with our little one who will be turning one on board.

One of out ports-of-call is Piraeus, which we have done before. We don't want to schlepp the baby to any ruins. Does anyone know of something baby friendly to do in Athens? I'd like to go to the zoo, but I read on tripadvisor that it is difficult to get to on public transport. We don't want to take a cab anywhere because of the lack of car seat issue...

Any thoughts...?

Thanks

We were in Athens pre-baby, however I think it actually would be quite easy. We walked from the port to the train station. It was not a short walk, but very do-able! (maybe 20 min walk?) I'd bring a stroller or baby carrier! Or both. You can then take the train to downtown Athens. Its a very easy ride, not sure what trip advisor was saying? Once in Athens, if you don't want to see the ruins, you can just walk around, sit outside and have lunch? There are ruins all over, so it would be easy to stroll to see some of them. (It is a hike up hill to the acropolis, and not very friendly for strollers or wheelchairs. So probably wise not to head up there.) Or once on the train, you could get really anywhere.

We downloaded the Rick Steves walking tours for Athens onto our iphone/ipod ahead of time, and we actually used that to tour around Athens. It was very informative, and takes you thru the heart of the city. Highly recommend it. Not sure if you're going to Rome, but we used it there as well.

Thank you for the replies :)

Yes, we have cruised to Piraeus before and walked from the port to the subway station and gone into town/ruins.

We are looking to do something for the baby (not necessarily something cultural). That's why I mentioned the zoo, though I heard it is off the beaten track.

I'm wondering if anyone has any first-hand experience/knowledge and can give me some ideas...?