Conquest: balcony dividers

ericrz

Hi all:

Have looked through previous threads, and I think I know the answer on this. But it's not the answer I want, so I thought I'd verify.

On the Conquest, standard balcony cabins, I know dividers can be open only in the direction that they don't block the door -- which makes sense. So they open towards the cabin where just the window is blocked.

So I'm guessing, in a block of three adjacent cabins, there'd be no way to connect all three balconies, correct? They'd open the divider between one, placing it against the window. But they then couldn't open the divider to the 3rd balcony, because it would have to go against the door.

Does this sound right? Has anyone been on the Conquest (or a sister ship) and had more than two balconies connected? I think it's probably not doable. A shame. We've had three balconies connected on three different trips -- twice on the Carnival Legend, once on the Freedom OTS -- and it's really nice to get that "triple-wide" balcony!!

We have had 3 open on the Freedom in the past. At night we tied the 3rd one closed to the rail section.

Thanks. I wouldn't mind doing that (we always bring a few bungee cords for this sort of thing) but everything I've read suggests that Carnival won't open three in a row, because the third would be in front of someone's door.

I wonder if we could bring a set of Allen wrenches or screwdrivers and open the third one on our own, closing it when we're not using the balcony?

Thanks. I wouldn't mind doing that (we always bring a few bungee cords for this sort of thing) but everything I've read suggests that Carnival won't open three in a row, because the third would be in front of someone's door.

I wonder if we could bring a set of Allen wrenches or screwdrivers and open the third one on our own, closing it when we're not using the balcony?

If I remember correctly it is an allen wrench type, looked to be about the size of a 1/4" drive ratchet.Saw it briefly when the steward opened them.

The lock is square, so anything that fits will open the door. I have used a screwdriver, a pair of scissors, etc. When the steward comes he will close them back up, but we had 8 cabins in a row with all of the balconies connected open. some of the cabins ended up the door into the cabin blocked by the divider door, but it was no big deal. We have 9 cabins on the Legend in Aug, & plan to open those up when are in the rooms. The nice thing is it very easy to lock them back up if you want privacy, you don't need to call the steward.

Also you may need to slide a chair in front of the divider to keep it from swinging close on you..

Thanks all for this great info! Think there's a way to tie it open with a bungee cord "temporarily"??

A very few cabins will open 3 wide.

Example, cabin 8449 on the Conquest, connects to 8445 and 8455.

Beds: twin/king

View: window and large balcony connecting balconies: 8445 and 8455

Bathroom: shower-toilet-sink

Features: TV, telephone, 110 AC current, individual climate control, hair dryer, safe, minibar, 3-closets, chair and coffee table

Balcony features: 2 patio chairs and table

Note: Cabin has a sofa instead of a chair on: LI FD

Smoking permitted on balcony only; on cruise departures 10/09/14 and thereafter, smoking will not be permitted on the balcony.

A very few cabins will open 3 wide.

Example, cabin 8449 on the Conquest, connects to 8445 and 8455.

Thanks. Seems like only the "extended balcony" cabin type, as well as GS and OS cabins, can be officially connected "three wide" without blocking the cabin door.

Since 2012 a lot of rules have changed.

Since the fire onboard the Princess ship you will have a hard time getting opened the dividers if they block a cabin door on another cabin

as for tying the divider door to the railing-- the divider door opens to the wall of the balcony-- not to the railing.

The divider opens to the railing on a spirit class ship

....for the advice here. Turns out we'll have FOUR cabins in a row on Deck 7. Officially, we'll get the cabin steward to connect two of them, and separately connect the other two. We'll then "unofficially" open the divider between the two sets as needed.