Age question (plus a few others)

4 cruisers

Not that it matters all that much, but has anyone taken a summer cruise on any of the Oceania ships where there were kids (teens, specifically)? I'm sure there must be, but just wondering what kind of numbers you all have seen.

We have cruised with our sons on some amazing trips since they were quite young (Orient Lines Istanbul to Barcelona twice, HAL Med. once, Celebrity twice, RCI once, NCL twice, QEII once)...so what I'm trying to say is, there have been many kids on some of these cruises and few on others....they had great times on all (funny enough the Orient Lines with only about 25 "kids of all ages..primarily teens" was their favorite!).

We are looking at the Nautica from Istanbul to Venice for my 50th b-day and we will have our 14 year old with us. Only 2 days at sea, so we figure with all the ports he wouldn't miss other "kids" even if he was the only young person. He usually meets more adults than we do anyway!

Does anyone go to the disco? Is there a disco? :o

Anyone had a third person in their cabin on Oceania? Any cabin recommendations?

We love food and are hoping it is well influenced by Jacques Pepin as advertised! Any comments on that?!

Thanks to all. Honest opinions are always appreciated!

Nanette

Oceania certainly allows kids, but they offer no special activities for them. I know that the itinerary is port intensive, but will your son mind probably being the only kid aboard? If not, then you're fine.

Yes, there is a disco, but it's under utilized, probably due to the ports. Many people are tired after a long day and want to get a good night's sleep to be ready for another one.

The cabins are on the small side, so if you're going to travel with your son, I'd advise taking a suite, or if that's not in the budget, take one of the Penthouse cabins. Those cabins, on the 8th deck, are larger than the regular cabins. They all have balconies.

Food on Oceania is fantastic.

Thank you for your brave answer, Jane! We don't mind having one of the few teens, but the only one could be a "bummer" for him. He certainly enjoys adult activities as we enjoy being with folks our parents age....but having a few in our age group would also be enjoyable. The best time we had after 10:00 pm was on the Orient Lines where they allowed the teens in the disco after 10! To this day, we fondly remember the European disco music we danced to side by side with the "younger set" on board the Crown Odyssey each night. Actually to us, that is the way cruising should be! But then again, we began cruising with my husband's parents as one of the youngest couples on board the old Royal Viking Line 30 years ago!

I've signed up for Yahoo and just researched some photos on Webshots. Of course, Nautica hasn't formally joined Oceania yet, so that makes actual info and pictures unavailable. We haven't had a cruise we didn't enjoy YET, but I do a lot of research to make sure it's a good fit....Orient was a bit scary for me, but it turned out to be the best experience (so much so we did it again!). Sad day when Star turned her over to NCL!!!!

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to answer me! I'll keep looking at the pros and cons! We got a Royal suite on the Celebrity Century our last two times which really spoiled us, I'm afraid. The third person break on the Nautica isn't very good, therefore we are really considering the lower catagory (plus the airfare for three, etc.!). The ports on the July 14th sailing are just so great (they include ALL of our must return to places...Venice, Kusadasi, and Santorini).

Sorry to ramble! Thanks again!

Nanette

We cruised Insignia last summer from Barcelona to Venice and there were a few children aboard (one young couple had an infant with them!) but the average age of travelers was in the 50-60 range and after a long, busy day in port the 'disco' venue wasn't really utilized much. The ships are a perfect size for these ports, the food is excellent and the accomodations very comfortable. I don't think you would be disappointed with Oceania and your teenager sounds mature enough to "go with the flow". Best wishes for fun travel.

4Cruisers,

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm quite certain that the

Nautica will look exactly like the Regatta and the Insignia - which are the two prettiest ships I've ever seen, personally.

I also don't think that Oceania bans kids from the disco til after a certain hour, so if your son wants to go up there and dance I don't think it'll be a problem. Of course, please contact Oceania or your TA to make sure. Don't take *my* word as it's never been a question I asked anyone.

I was going to suggest that perhaps you take a regular cabin (either window or balcony for yourselves) and then put your son in his own inside cabin across the hall from you, giving you all some privacy and two bathrooms. However, I know that Oceania charges a big single supplement, so maybe a suite would work out better price-wise? Of course, in a suite, you have one full bathroom and one powder room, limiting you to one shower. Obviously, these are i$$ues you need to look at on your own.

There certainly are pro's & con's in your situation. Yes, I agree that the biggest Pro is the itinerary itself. Oceania does well in that regard. If your cruise is scheduled for when schools are on vacation, perhaps you could find out from Oceania if there are any other teen's booked on your particular cruise? It sounds like your son is socialized and independant, but I'm sure he'd still like the company of someone his age for at least some of the time.

A big decision for you, I'm sure. Though I'm sure he'd enjoy the "eye candy" of some of the 20something singers and dancers! :)

Jane

While all the R ships were made cookie cutter.. Oceania has added some new "decor" to Regatta and Insignia ( teak decks and things like that).. I read that Nautical will have alot of "new" done to her.. although not sure what that will be. Agree they are the most beautiful ships at sea and we have been on ALOT of ships.

"Jane's "first answer to you was almost a duplicate of what I was going to answer ( she's my buddy, so it figures we would write the same thing:) )..almost to the word including about the disco..

My husband and I LOVED Crown Odessey ( that brings back some really fun memories)..thanks for bringing up that fun ship ( pretty too) and such a great Greek crew..

Can not compare "Oceania" to Celebrity which carries 1000 more passengers than Oceania. I compare it more to Radisson ( without the free wine ;-) and

It's hard to beat the itineraries on Oceania..they are terrific .

Good luck with your choice.

CaludiaF

Crown Odyssey was a lovely ship when with Royal Cruise Lines. We sailed her twice, once with Greek Registry, and the second after they changed, I think to Bahamas registry. I can't imagine what she would be like now, after NCL tore out the indoor pool and movie theater, and added cabins.

Actually, I liked the little Golden Odyssey, the 10,000 tonner, better. Rode back end of a typhoon on her in the China Sea - green water over the bridge, screws out of water, and inclinometer pegged. Rough trip!

Hate to differ, but the R ships were not all "cookie cutter" design. Remember, at least two (and I think three) were built without the Penthouse suites, but with regular cabins on deck 8. One is sailing for Swan Hellenic as Minerva II, and I think Pulmantour of Spain has the other(s).

The Verandah Room on the 7th Deck that we had was one that could be used for three passengers, according to the brochure. I couldn't figure out how it could be "done", so asked among the various passengers on the cruise.

Three single women were in the carbon copy cabin on the other side of the ship. They told me how the cabin was converted - the sofa opens to a bed. They do not remove any of the furniture to do this.

They told me "never again". If the person in the fold-out sofa had to use the bathroom during the night, they would bump into the bed. They couldn't avoid it.

These women were rather petite - roughly 5'4" and under and maybe a size 8 tops. They had been on six other cruises together and never had any difficulty, or so they said. I always saw them sleeping by the pool, too.

CaludiaF

Hate to differ, but the R ships were not all "cookie cutter" design. Remember, at least two (and I think three) were built without the Penthouse suites, but with regular cabins on deck 8. One is sailing for Swan Hellenic as Minerva II, and I think Pulmantour of Spain has the other(s).

I didn't know that.. we had cruised on all but 1 of the "newer" R ships ( these) and their baby ships as well and I didn't know that there were these difference..guess we always booked the same cabin. Thanks for info though.

Hi Druke I,

We also sailed on the Golden Odyssey and Crown Odyssey when the wonderful Royal Cruise Line was in business. We took about 10 cruises with them. We have now sailed on the Regatta, the Insignia and are booked for the Nautica for 2006 and think we have found a new "home". It is as cruiser friendly as the Royal Cruise Line was.

By the way, the Golden was sold to the Russians and someone told me they went aboard it when it was berthed in a port at the same time (pre-9/11) as they were. He said that the dining room seats were covered with plastic material. Wouldn't want to go on the Crown again since the changes the Norwegian Cruise line made when they took possession of it.

sheila

Archived