NCL Canary Island Cruise and mobility scooter

att

Sorry to repeat myself. Trying to decide btwn Canary Island and Panama Canal over Xmas cruises on NCL. Ist cruise since husband has tbl walking longer distances. These are ports for Canary - Barcelona (Spain); Tangier (Morocco); Las Palmas (Canary Islands); Santa Cruz de Tenerife (Canary Islands); Granada (Malaga) (Spain); DISEMBARK Barcelona (Spain). Would these problem for lightweight scooter that can fold if needed. Can walk short distances, do stairs if he has something to hold onto. Want to be able to explore ports. Appreciate the input. Will do more investigating and call NCL too. His scooter will fit in room. (smartscoot)

All your Spanish ports are easy to do with a mobility scooter. Barcelona must be the most disabled friendly city in Europe, you won't have any problems there at all. You will also be able to take the scooter on the HOHO bus.

Spain in general is OK for disabled people so you shouldn't have any problems in Santa Cruz or Las Palmas. Las Palmas has plenty to do and there is a very long, flat promenade beside Las Canteras beach, which is close to the port. Taxis are very cheap in the Canaries, so you shouldn't have any problems, but local buses are also accessible.

The centre of Granada is very accessible, but if you want to visit the Alhambra Palace you will be restricted as to what you can see. Fortunately, I had been there quite a few times before my mobility became limited. We were last there in November 2014. If you want to visit the Royal Chapel in the cathedral in Granada, you have to ask at the entrance and they get somebody to open a door within the cathedral for you.

You will find everybody very helpful and willing to help.

it is many years since I have been to Tangiers, so can't help you on that. You could always ask on the Tangier Forum on Tripadvisor.

Personally, for me it is a no brainer, I'd choose the Panama canal every time over the Canaries.

In Spain you and your carer will get free entrance, or in some places 'carer goes free'. Either way, you can save a considerable amount of money.

Las Palmas was by far and away the worst port I've visited in a wheelchair. There was even a crossing with a drop kerb at one side and a 6" kerb at the other. On a busy road! I didn't get very far past the harbour.

But as LT says, the other Spanish ports are not bad. Never been to Tangiers, so I can't comment.