My new obsession- Tamarind/Yogurt Soup

hockeyucf

One hit of the stuff and I was addicted... My attempt earlier today to duplicate Princess' Delicious Concoction failed miserably. Has anyone had any success with this? I have been thinking about this soup ever since I got off the boat on August 6th! Pathetic, I know :)

Cara

Never have tried it, but here's the recipe (which you may already have, but for the enjoyment of others), complements of Princess, serves 100:

4 gallons plain yogurt

zest only from 15 whole lemons

1 gallon vanilla ice cream

2 somethings of sherry (pints? cups? ounces?)

1 pound tamarind pulp

Cook zest in sugar and water (notice how they didn't mention how much sugar in the list of ingredients) unil soft.

Blend all other ingredients. Chill before serving and top with blanched lemon zest.

I have no idea how you'd decrease the ingredients to serve less than 100.

Jackie

I think the Sherry is suppose to be 10 gallons.

Undoubtably you are an accomplished chef. Thanks for the correction. :D

Make sure you try the soup on your first Princess cruise. It really is wonderful.

Jackie

I have to laugh at "serves 100".

On my first Princess cruise, I feel in love with the cheesecake. Sort of strange because I never order it anymore (now I love the souffles). This was before the cookbook came out.

I asked the head waiter for the recipe and on the last night, he brought it to me and it also "served 100". Needless to say, I never took the time to break it down and make one cheesecake.

I thought that tamarind paste would be easy to find in Florida, since it's used frequently in Mexican cooking. After a week straight with no luck, I settled on whole tamarind pods (bought at the local publix). There is very limited information on the internet about what to do with a tamarind pod, so I settled on some advice that looked promising: Take the pods and soak them in hot water. Then you peel off the outer shell. Once you've done that, take the soft pulp (that's what you want) off of the inner seeds (at first I didn't realize there WERE inner seeds until I nearly destroyed my immersion blender). It's probably much easier to just buy the paste, which by the way is available on amazon. :rolleyes:

Cara

One hit of the stuff and I was addicted... My attempt earlier today to duplicate Princess' Delicious Concoction failed miserably. Has anyone had any success with this? I have been thinking about this soup ever since I got off the boat on August 6th! Pathetic, I know :)

Cara

Cara I thought I was the only one who loved this. My table mates alway think I'm crazy to order it but I've found it to be addictive.

Link to everything anyone might want to know about Tamarind. http://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/tamarind.html

It has a bit of a tang to it - not sure that it's the yogurt or the Tamarind. The soups on Princess are something I always experiment with and don't mind not finishing if I really don't like. We were a bit dissapointed in the Pasta Fagioli on the Star this spring. Guess the Star's chef had his own recipe and it wasn't quite as good as on other ships.

I like all the chillled soups on Princess and asked for recipes. Princess e-mailed me 6 recipes, one of which is for Chilled Yogurt and Tamarind Soup (with grated lemon rind)

2 pints plain yogurt

1 whole lemon, zest only

1 cup vanilla ice cream

1 ounce sherry

1 ounce tamarind pulp

Cook the zest in sugar and water until soft. Blend all ingredients.

Chill

Garnish with blanched lemon zest

Tamarind is used in Indian cooking, if that helps, so you would absolutely find it at an indian grocery store (plenty in the NY area) or a website specializing in international cooking ingredients.

Glad to share:)

Strawberry Soup

3-1/2 cups fresh strawberries, cleaned and trimmed

2-1/4 cups plain low-fat yogurt

3 tablespoons honey

?? nutmeg to taste

1/4 teaspoon vanilla essence

2 teaspoons fresh mint, chopped

1 teaspoon orange zest

Combine all ingredients, blend until smooth. Adjust seasoning to taste. Chill. Adjust seasoning again after chilled.

If soup is too thick, thin with skim milk. Garnish with fresh strawberry and a mint leaf.

Pina Colada Soup

1/2 cup pineapple juice

1/2 cup coconut cream

6 ounces pineapple, cut into small cubes

2 ounces white rum

1-1/2 cups plain yogurt

1-1/2 cups vanilla ice cream, softened

Blend all ingredients until smooth. Serve in stemware (wine or martini glass).

Sprinkle with finely chopped fresh pineapple.

Hope these turn out delicious for you.

I LOVE the cold soups they serve on Princess - by far the very best I ever had was on the Regal on a 15 day R/T - LA to Hawaii. They had a cold avacado soup that was wonderful!! Haven't seen it on any other Princess ship since then. Will be on the Sapphire next week - maybe they'll have it.

The other 3 recipes Princess sent me are:

Gazpacho

Iced Apricot Cream

Iced Pear and Ginger

I think the apricot is very sweet, more like something to pour over ice cream.

I like the gazpacho and the pear and ginger is "interesting." I'll add these recipes if anyone wants them.

Archived