Just back of Celebration

Had a good time, we missed the last port of Tobago as the captain said it was to rough to try and get in. One concern is on the flight home this morning we had to off load a passenger because they were being violently sick . One hour into the cruise and there was seven people being unwell. One person in front of me was in a bad way being sick, sweating shaking. The air stewards put out a call to see if there was a doctor onboard or medical could help them The air steward was talking to the mans wife in front of me and was asking when the last time he ate something and what was it. Everyone who was ill was off the ship. We were met at gatwick airport this morning with blue lights of the paramedics who got onboard as soon as the doors were open. I have a friend who is still on the ship but they are at sea todayy so cannot get in contact with them to see if they have any problems on board. I know the steward said they would be contacting the ship.

how horrible for people, i wonder if it may have been something they ate at the airport?

i'm sure thoms will make some enquires ... have there been any reports of nv on the celebration recently?

pleased you enjoyed your cruise....shame about tobago ...there have been some reports of bad weather in caribbean

We are just back and were on same flight. My parents were ill on board for and were confined to cabin for a couple of days. They saw ships Dr who gave them an injection and said it may have been because they used the ships water to boil the kettle !! I have had nv on another ship and they had similar symptoms never had an injection ( I thought this was only for sea sickness). To be honest although we enjoyed the cruise we thought the food was poor in all restaurants.

Staff are great but we won't be returning to thomsons and this was our tenth with thomsons.

surely the ships tap water is safe to drink? its in the ice/food & water/coffee dispensers

we noticed on dream on the last day that they shut off the entire water system (just toilets working) to disinfect/pasteurise? the ships water system

there were also rumours that the a/c had been disinfected (stuff? sprayed into it)

there were quite a few reports of people with coughs/chills/sniffles/sore throats on board

there were quite a few reports of people with coughs/chills/sniffles/sore throats on board

I think there are often nasty coughs on board - I think the aircon on both the planes and ships are responsible. Being couped up in a relatively confined space with people coughing and sneezing will quickly spread the germs too.

But this winter there appears to be a really really nasty, persisitent cough affecting people - not connected to cruising. My friend has had it for two months - she's going back to the Dr again today and I know of quite a few people also suffering similarly. I think there is a particularly unpleasant bug about this year.

Sorry by the way to hear of the problem of sickness on Celebration. Sadly sounds like an outbreak of NV - let's hope not - but if so, it's soon eliminated.

P.S. I think that Dr's comment about the water and the kettle is rubbish!

Edited by kruzseeka

We thought it was rubbish too. We used the tap water for the kettle, but my parents believed it! £158 later after injections and two days they were fine but very wary about eating and drinking for the rest of the cruise. With regard to the ill people on the plane the air stewardess told us they had all stayed at the same hotel but we recognised some from the ship so knew she was telling porkies! I do wonder if some people who were ill on board ship did not notify Dr and confined themselves to cabin or not !

But this winter there appears to be a really really nasty, persisitent cough affecting people - not connected to cruising. My friend has had it for two months - she's going back to the Dr again today and I know of quite a few people also suffering similarly. I think there is a particularly unpleasant bug about this year.

sounds v nasty kruz ... quite a bit of this about on the dream recently

tip: take plenty of anti viral hand foam

http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Pharmaceuticals-Anti-Viral-Hand-Foam-(50ml)_1129538/?cm_mmc=pla-_-google-_-PLAs-_-Boots+Shopping+-+Category+-+Health+and+Pharmacy

Had a good time, we missed the last port of Tobago as the captain said it was to rough to try and get in. One concern is on the flight home this morning we had to off load a passenger because they were being violently sick . One hour into the cruise and there was seven people being unwell. One person in front of me was in a bad way being sick, sweating shaking. The air stewards put out a call to see if there was a doctor onboard or medical could help them The air steward was talking to the mans wife in front of me and was asking when the last time he ate something and what was it. Everyone who was ill was off the ship. We were met at gatwick airport this morning with blue lights of the paramedics who got onboard as soon as the doors were open. I have a friend who is still on the ship but they are at sea todayy so cannot get in contact with them to see if they have any problems on board. I know the steward said they would be contacting the ship.

Sorry to change subject,, but as your just back off Celebration, can u tell me if the All Inclusive package still gives out Baileys,, Dissaronno,, and a made up Liqueur called..Toasted Almond. Ta

Your lucky u didn't get food poisoning,, really strange,, I got it just last Sunday, its murder although you don't die, but u feel u might. Just getting over it now.

Ta for ur time..

Ronnie,, Dundee,, Scotland.

I'd recommend the anti bac gels. As a man im amazed how many men just do their business and leave without washing their hands. I'd hoped in a cruise ship people would make an effort - but no!

Not that I'm in the habit of loitering around men's toilets but when I was using them on the ship I did notice a few men leave the toilets without washing their hands. If they want to do this in their own home then that's their choice but on a cruise ship - is it that hard to jist rinse your hands under a tap for a few seconds? I also avoided touching all handles in the toilets as much as I could.

Literally every gel dispenser I passed I used and scrubbed my hands regularly. We both managed to escape without catching anything fortunately but next time I'm taking some good stuff as my hands were prety dried out come the end of the cruise.

yes and i am constantly amazed how many people use the food tongs on the buffet and then throw them into the food when they have finished with them! (those tongs have been touched by dozens of people? easy to contaminate the food)

or those that drop food on the counter and then throw it back into the tray of food for the next (unsuspecting) person to pick up? (okay they think they are being polite by picking it up and putting it back…but, just leave it there the waiters will deal with it)

I have lost count of the amount of times i have witnessed people picking up bread/chicken drumsticks/toast etc with their hands! why? just why?

this is exactly how other people can unsuspectingly pick up bugs and viruses

its sad to say but imo thoms should put signs up in the buffet educating people on proper tong etiquette

and.....why do people constantly fill their water bottles from the water dispensers in the restaurant? (they have most probably had their gums around that bottle) :(

the water in the dispensers is cooled tap water anyway? its not bottled water! its the same tap water that you would get in your cabin!

you can get a free glass of iced bottled water from any bar to fill your bottle?

rant over:o

Edited by geomagot

Afraid it's not just the passengers who have poor hygiene habits. I saw a bar waitress leave the toilets just outside the theatre on the Dream without washing her hands after using the lavatory, and go straight back to serving guests in the theatre. She was out of the door so quickly I didn't have the chance to say anything to her. A bar waitress with glasses from the Philippines.

Also saw a waitress refuse to use the sanitizer on returning to the ship because she had good hand cream on her hands.:(

Afraid it's not just the passengers who have poor hygiene habits. I saw a bar waitress leave the toilets just outside the theatre on the Dream without washing her hands after using the lavatory, and go straight back to serving guests in the theatre. She was out of the door so quickly I didn't have the chance to say anything to her. A bar waitress with glasses from the Philippines.

Also saw a waitress refuse to use the sanitizer on returning to the ship because she had good hand cream on her hands.:(

Not good!!! In fact very bad considering the need to be conscientious over hygiene - crew above all should be aware of the issues and setting a good example.

I'd recommend the anti bac gels. As a man im amazed how many men just do their business and leave without washing their hands. I'd hoped in a cruise ship people would make an effort - but no!

Not that I'm in the habit of loitering around men's toilets but when I was using them on the ship I did notice a few men leave the toilets without washing their hands. If they want to do this in their own home then that's their choice but on a cruise ship - is it that hard to jist rinse your hands under a tap for a few seconds? I also avoided touching all handles in the toilets as much as I could.

Literally every gel dispenser I passed I used and scrubbed my hands regularly. We both managed to escape without catching anything fortunately but next time I'm taking some good stuff as my hands were prety dried out come the end of the cruise.

I would recommend the Boots one Anti-viral foam. We always take that with us on a cruise.

I would recommend the Boots one Anti-viral foam. We always take that with us on a cruise.

yes its a foam and alcohol free, much kinder to hands and has a residual effect that can last for upto 6 hours (ideal if you are ashore)

this is why? … if you happen to see me dodging the gel dispensers? its because I have my own (the crew usually carry their own too btw)

Thanks juless miles I'll try that one next time I go.

I think personal hygiene should feature on the in cabin safety demo. Real back to basics.

I totally forgot about people at the buffet! I saw someone checking the bread rolls with their hand! Animals!

Let's face it, statistically the greatest threat to your health and safety on a ship is catching some bug, and not the ship having a problem.

I believe the Anti-viral foam is a better choice (we use the Boots one too). The Boots Anti-viral has bacterial action as well as anti-viral declaring that it is effective against 99.9% of harmful bacteria and viruses (as for the 0.1% - I'm not going to go there! :eek: )

But since the anti-bac gels are effective against bacteria only, I think the anti viral foam is a better bet as you are at least trying to protect against viruses too - and the clue is in the name of Noro virus - I suspect the anti-bacs have no effect on that.

Thanks juless miles I'll try that one next time I go.

I think personal hygiene should feature on the in cabin safety demo. Real back to basics.

I totally forgot about people at the buffet! I saw someone checking the bread rolls with their hand! Animals!

Let's face it, statistically the greatest threat to your health and safety on a ship is catching some bug, and not the ship having a problem.

When I went on a FO mini cruise on the Boudicca, they were very 'hot' on raising the awareness of the spread of NV & other germs. When we arrived in the cabin, the TV was ruining a video explaining the importance of 'hand hygiene'. In all the public toilets there were notices on the main door to get out with a box of ties us attached advising you to use a tissue to open the door handle. Whenever the Captain made an announcement, he again stressed the importance of hygiene & gels etc.

Edited by Julessmiles

Hand gel does not get rid of norovirus. The only way to clean your hands and be protected from this is washing with soap and water. You can use hand gel after if you want but properly washing with soap and water is the best method - and you should throughly hand wash the 5 point way. Sorry folks!:D

We were on the Celebration from 28/12 to 04/01 and were also on the Gatwick flight home when those poor passengers were ill. We heard chikungunya symptoms mentioned by one of the cabin crew? We never experienced any tummy upsets at all, but we did notice that there were a lot of passengers the second week who bypassed getting the hand gel going into the buffet.

We were worried before about the bad reviews, but can honestly say we had a lovely spacious inside cabin, mid ship, so not bothered by the constant vibration you do get on other parts of the ship. Our cabin boy was very efficient, as on most ships sneaking in and out all day/night. The bath/hand towels provided. were a bit tatty, but the beach towels were huge and nice and fluffy. We were given toiletries to use (although we took our own). The food was a bit like school dinners, nowhere near as good as other ships we've been on in the past, although Mistrals was decent and we also ordered a steak in the Meridian one night which was excellent. We were all inclusive for drinks, but the top ups for better wine and some drinks were not much, around £1.20. The photos were very pricey @ £14.95 each!

The new sun deck had still not opened, so there was a lack of sun beds and space on the sea days. The day we were supposed to go to Tobago, but didn't, the engines had broken and Captain Hugh woke us up before 6am to tell us. We also had a power cut at the same time. We only went to a couple of shows, including the crews got talent which was enjoyable. The entertainment drove me mad, repeat songs on a loop in bars all day and evening, and the cruise directors voice! The acts provided in the bars were okay the first couple of nights, but they were based in the same places each night, and sang the same songs in the same order. Slightly groundhog day in the end. The staff in Hemmingways were almost always miserable, standing around, looking busy doing nothing, and often ignored you waiting to order at the bar, making you feel guilty for disturbing them. However in Horizons, much more fun, joining in singing, bit of throwing the bottles when making cocktails, dancing with the passengers, and always happy! Bad luck that bar was at the top front of the ship with the vibration and constant up & down. Only popped into Liberties one night, had to leave due to the smell of mouldy drains and stagnant carpet. The whole ship looks tired in the decor department colours and fabrics make it look like a care home. We did no planned excursions, just took local taxis, generally paying no more than usa $25 a tour for 3-4 hours.

Despite all the things I've mentioned, the itinerary was fabulous, and the price we paid was fair, but I'd rather pay a little extra to go NCL or Royal Caribbean again just to get better food and a less choppy ride across the waves.

• 2 weeks later...

We've just returned from 2 weeks on Celebration today. Had a brilliant time, the food was great with plenty of choice. Drinks were unpredictable sometimes the cocktails were lovely other times they were watered down and not made properly. The staff mostly were lovely especially Miko and Wally in Mistrals who always took time to chat with us.

Cabin was a deluxe cabin on the promenade deck which was great very clean and roomy.

Found like the last review that the entertainment was very repetitive the shows in the Broadway show lounge were repeated in the second week quite a few times.

Enjoyed the ports of call especially Dominica ( did Trafalgar Falls and spa trip) Barbados (Carlisle beach), Antigua (runaway beach) found the Thomsons excursions enjoyable and fairly good value for money

Main downside was getting a really bad cough - lots of people seemed to be coughing a lot on ship too and on the plane returning to manchester. The said plane was an old banger it was an old first choice 767 with water from air conditioning dripping everywhere, my tv was broken, hard seats, smelly toilets yuk! Understand from cabin steward this plane is going out of service in 3 weeks time!

All in all fairly good value

Sent from my iPad using Forums