Very Lengthy Cruises.......Anyone?

sail7seas

Sail,

I know you have said that on some cruises the ship is the destination for you and DH more than the ports, so as you said earlier if the cabin, service, food or fellow pax isn't up to snuff, it could make for a "LONG" long cruise.

Yes, Babyher....

Exactly!

I was given a graduation present of a world cruise on the Rotterdam V when I was very young. I had one of the very small single outside cabins with a porthole. QUOTE]

Steve,

You were lucky indeed! There are only a small handfull of ships .... those ultra special ships that did the world cruise that the new ships can never compete with. Ships like the old CARONIA, SAGAFJORD... ROTTERDAM!

I did my RTW in the ROTTERDAM as well... 1995. I added on a Christmas cruise before and then when I disembarked in Lauderdale I hopped on board QE2 to get back to Bermuda... making the whole cruise a total of 120 days. There wasn't a single moment when I wished I wasn't there. The only thing that I disliked was having to pack on that last sea day running from New York down to Lauderdale. I wrent away with two suitcases and a carry-on. I came back with nine pieces of baggage. ( That was the reason for sailing back to Bermuda on QE2... to avoid excess baggage charges!) Included in the baggage were two copper navigation lanters... with old style oil lamps inside... from Dubai..... a coir doormat that read "GO AWAY" and a carved name board that read s.s. ROTTERDAM. It was made by the ship's carpenter and was intended to be used on top of one of the ship's tenders. It was made from old ROTTERDAM teak deck planks. ( On the Grand Orient cruise in '93 the carpenter made me a carved teak sign using old deck planks that reads '119'..... my house number in Bermuda.)

On one segment... Hong Kong to Singapore... about 19 days, I was known as the 'Phantom Diner'. I think I went to the dining room about four times in the 19 days. Nothing wrong with the food or the passengers.. I just felt like a 'break'. I would eat ashore or perhaps have dinner in the Chief Officer's cabin... while thrashing him at backgammon! One night I was sitting in the Ocean Bar.. at about 9 pm... determined to avoid dinner when the Chief Officer (Pieter Bos) wanderd through and asked what I was doing for dinner. When I said nothing he insisted that I go down to the galley for dinner. he called the Chef and sent me down to C Deck in the crew lift... to have dinner with the Chef in his little office. One of the best meals every on board!!!!

I never did any official tours. I did book one... at Aquaba to see the lost city of Petra. Cost was around $200 for the day. I cancelled two days before and went ashore with the Second Officer and the Hostess and hired a private car to Petra. I think it worked out at about $50 each! No busses and we avoided the crowds.

It was a memorable cruise in every respect. Would I go again? Yes, without a doubt but on the right ship. PRINSENDAM would be a good ship to make a RTW cruise in. I would certainly NEVER make a cruise like that in a ship like QUEEN MARY 2!!!!!!!!!!!!! What makes the RTW cruise special is the people. Instead of avoiding them they are the real attraction... that and ship board life for 100+ days. The ports and other attractions are important also but you can do them at any time. But to share a 100 days voyage with 500 fellow passengers and 600 crew... now THAT is special. You make friends on a cruise like that that you treasure forever.

Stephen

I could see myself booking a 30-35 day cruise, but I'm not sure about anything longer. Even if resources were unlimited, I doubt I'd sign on for a world cruise. It's not about having problems leaving my "regular" life for a long period of time. For me, I'm just not sure I could maintain my enthusiasm for so many new places all at once.

If I ever did a World Cruise ... and such an undertaking would be impossible until I was retired (many years off) ... I would not like to do it on a "traditional" cruise ship. Luxury is nice. But 100+ days of luxury would get old ... at least for me. If I did a World Cruise, it would have to be on an "adventure" type vessel ... something totally non-traditional ... such as cruising with the Semester at Sea program. You get a full world cruise, along with unlimited learning opportunities. You actually get to sit in on the classes that the students are taking each day of the voyage. Your "shore excursions" build on the learning that takes place in that classroom. In fact, most port stays are of several days in length ... allowing you to do some real exploring.

And the best thing? No formal nights! :) All meals are served "cafeteria" style in the main dining room. Snacks can be had from vending machines onboard. Everything is informal onboard ... no Bingo, no production shows ... instead you participate in various informal educational opportunities offered in the evenings ... and enjoy performances put on by the more talented members of the student body.

Also, the price is right ... like around $22,000 for a single occupancy cabin for the adult participants in the voyage. And, if you're having trouble raising that kind of money, I think there are opportunitites for "work study" assignments ... assisting professors, manning the various student services, etc., that can reduce your fare. Also, the adults are housed in a separate area of the ship from the kids ... so you don't have to worry about going nuts from being around young people 24/7. You can always retreat to your cabin when you've had enough. :)

To me, this would be a true World Cruise adventure ... and something that would definitely hold my attention for an extended period of time.

I only hope the program is still there when I reach the point in my life where I could take advantage of it.

Blue skies ...

--rita

We have done 3 - 7 day cruises and after the first one we decided that it wasn't long enough but never had the $$$ to do a longer one. Our last cruise we upgraded to a balcony cabin and decided that was the way to go for us. Now this Oct, we are doing a 10 day and can't wait, 1 day pre and 1 day post so it will be almost 2 weeks. Can't wait. I agree, you just get relaxed on a 7 day then have to go back. So far, all of our cruises have been to the caribbean and have LOVED the weather and water. For South America, in October, is the weather still as nice? We would like to take a longer cruise, but vacation time for my DH does have it's limits (18 or so days).

Steve & Patti

Nieuw Amsterdam 1995

Westerdam 1998

Maasdam 2003

Volendam Oct 2005

I was given a graduation present of a world cruise on the Rotterdam V when I was very young. I had one of the very small single outside cabins with a porthole. QUOTE]

Steve,

You were lucky indeed! There are only a small handfull of ships .... those ultra special ships that did the world cruise that the new ships can never compete with. Ships like the old CARONIA, SAGAFJORD... ROTTERDAM!QUOTE]

Even though I recieved a "formal" education in school I will always be grateful for this gift that was given to me. My grandfather was a Presbyterian Minister from Scotland and never lived far from the sea. He lived a fairly simple life but had the travel wanderlust deep inside himself. He always said that "If you live near the sea then you live to experience all that life has to offer". His meaning was that the sea was the pathway to the world and all of its treasures. He traveled the world and migrated to the U.S. where once again, he never lived far from the sea. I dare say that this experience has colored my life forever. That trip also helped me grow into the person that I am today. With the unquenching thirst for knowledge and unknown experiences ahead I went through every emotion imaginable. The excitement was at the same time exhilarating and overwhelming.

The adventures of meeting so many cultures, people, lifestyles, images, sites of unbelievable beauty, sites of very simple life, extravagance and poverty all in one has made me a very tolerant person of things I do not understand, religions different than mine, other cultures and above all accepting of all people.

I could go on another world cruise tomorrow (Don't I wish - To many obligations and not enough time or money) and it would not be the same. I still love to travel and yearn for more knowledge but it is with more maturity and innocence lost.

Archived