Quantum Photo Packages

We are sailing March 21st and I was told that as of now there are no plans to have an unlimited plan. The last cruise we took we bought the unlimited plan and we loved it. The site says that they will be having them in the spring possibly. Hopefully that means my cruise since we will be leaving on the first day of spring.

I asked the Concierge on Quantum of the Seas tho check if there is an unlimited photo package. Below is the reply from the Photo Manager. I did not inquire about any other packages.

On Quantum we have a different structure as any other ship base on the technology that we have here.

We do not have unlimited package, what we have is a 50 images package for $480 and if the guest want more images they can add as many as they want for the cost of only $9.60 each instead of $20 full price.

I asked the Concierge on Quantum of the Seas tho check if there is an unlimited photo package. Below is the reply from the Photo Manager. I did not inquire about any other packages.

On Quantum we have a different structure as any other ship base on the technology that we have here.

We do not have unlimited package, what we have is a 50 images package for $480 and if the guest want more images they can add as many as they want for the cost of only $9.60 each instead of $20 full price.

Interesting... Wonder how there "technology" differs from Allure or Oasis to not offer an unlimited package :mad:

We were on Q for New Years. We bought the 20 photo package for $240.00. The way it works is that they give you a disk with every photo that has been taken on the cruise and you can take it home and unlock the photos you choose and print them locally. We thought at first that you had to stand and select your 20 photos to get them and spent hours going through the screens to choose and were told at the end that was not necessary because you get all the photos on the disk. It is a good system because you can make as many prints as you want at home out of the ones you selected, but is still is very expensive. I think if you want the ship to make prints for you they are $15 each.

1 digital picture on cd $20 signature package

8 digital pictures on cd $120 Essential package

20 digital pictures on cd $240 Deluxe package ( most popular )

50 digital pictures on cd $480 Premium package ( best value )

All packages include

Professionally enhanced photos

digital viewing software

creative borders

high resolution

photos cropped for artistic effect

easy view and select photos from home

copyright release

This is from the sign onboard during our Dec sailing.

I'll be honest I didn't even really look at the sign while we were sailing and didn't realize that they weren't printing pictures but giving you a CD with a software reader on it. Amazing to me that they are charging that much and not even printing. Smart the real production costs ( not including photographer of course ) is in printing. Once picture is taken you put on a disk in mass for about 8 cents. But hey they do give your copyright release of your own picture :)

We did have a free 8X10 allowed as Diamond so did actually get two photo's from Ifly which my wife did for free. They did offer me a CD as well for $20. Had to wait until next day to pick up printed version. If you don't want disk I guess they just print them for you.

We were on Q for New Years. We bought the 20 photo package for $240.00. The way it works is that they give you a disk with every photo that has been taken on the cruise and you can take it home and unlock the photos you choose and print them locally. We thought at first that you had to stand and select your 20 photos to get them and spent hours going through the screens to choose and were told at the end that was not necessary because you get all the photos on the disk. It is a good system because you can make as many prints as you want at home out of the ones you selected, but is still is very expensive. I think if you want the ship to make prints for you they are $15 each.

1 digital picture on cd $20 signature package

8 digital pictures on cd $120 Essential package

20 digital pictures on cd $240 Deluxe package ( most popular )

50 digital pictures on cd $480 Premium package ( best value )

All packages include

Professionally enhanced photos

digital viewing software

creative borders

high resolution

photos cropped for artistic effect

easy view and select photos from home

copyright release

This is from the sign onboard during our Dec sailing.

These versions seem to differ. Wondering which it is.:confused:

Do you get ALL of your pics on the CD or you have to choose which ones they should put on the CD? I know on other ships we would get the CD with all of our pics and then depending on the level (8 or 20 or 48) we chose they would print that many for us onboard. Otherwise why would you choose 20 as opposed to 48 if you are getting them all on a CD any way?

Do you get ALL of your pics on the CD or you have to choose which ones they should put on the CD? I know on other ships we would get the CD with all of our pics and then depending on the level (8 or 20 or 48) we chose they would print that many for us onboard. Otherwise why would you choose 20 as opposed to 48 if you are getting them all on a CD any way?

You get all the pictures on the CD, but they have watermarks on top of each picture. In order to remove the watermark, you have to unlock the picture with a credit. You buy credits for a certain number of digital photos on board and can buy more at home. You can buy a number of credits in between the package levels and just pay per picture credit at the same rate.

You cannot export the watermarked versions of the pictures, only the ones you have unlocked. (I tried it. If someone figured out a way to, would love to hear it.)

You can unlock them on the ship if you want. Those then go onto the CD without a watermark at all. Or you can just pick them when you get home.

There was still value, in our opinion, to looking at them on the ship because we wanted to figure out (1) exactly how many credits to buy and (2) which ones we would likely choose. You could see the photos in a much larger size on the ship and swipe to compare them back and forth, which was much harder to do from the CD.

The CD itself costs $5 too, so I imagine they are making tons of money off of this system. I was glad to see the copyright release included on the CD though.

Thanks for that explanation crayon78...I knew I was missing something..appreciate you explaining it so thoroughly as we usually invest in the photo package and I want to be sure to give the Fam the correct info..

Edited by ILuvCruisin'

Thanks for that explanation crayon78...I knew I was missing something..appreciate you explaining it so thoroughly as we usually invest in the photo package and I want to be sure to give the Fam the correct info..

I learned too since all I did was read the sign ( actually took picture of sign which it was I checked with ) on board.

Did not realize the charge you for CD too. What a racket, they get you to do the costly part, paper and ink, and even charge you for the CD. Let's se today without really hunting a can buy 100 disks for $17.99 and they are buying BULK.

George in NY

You get all the pictures on the CD, but they have watermarks on top of each picture. In order to remove the watermark, you have to unlock the picture with a credit. You buy credits for a certain number of digital photos on board and can buy more at home. You can buy a number of credits in between the package levels and just pay per picture credit at the same rate.

You cannot export the watermarked versions of the pictures, only the ones you have unlocked. (I tried it. If someone figured out a way to, would love to hear it.)

You can unlock them on the ship if you want. Those then go onto the CD without a watermark at all. Or you can just pick them when you get home.

There was still value, in our opinion, to looking at them on the ship because we wanted to figure out (1) exactly how many credits to buy and (2) which ones we would likely choose. You could see the photos in a much larger size on the ship and swipe to compare them back and forth, which was much harder to do from the CD.

The CD itself costs $5 too, so I imagine they are making tons of money off of this system. I was glad to see the copyright release included on the CD though.

Can I presume that if you have them print them there is also an additional charge?

George in NY

You may also want to have them on the ship validate for you that the photos that you paid for are actually unlocked on the disk. We and others on these boards have complained to the print company and Royal that we received fewer photos unlocked than we paid for. There hasn't been any quick resolution to the issue.

You don't get any little proof sheet with the cd so it is the honor system that they provide you with a cd with all your photos you paid for unlocked.

You can also buy additional credits as an earlier posted indicated, but I believe it is 25.95 per photo and who knows how secure it is through this downloaded app from the cd that is put on your computer. I have been tempted to just go this route for the few additional photos that should be unlocked, but now it is the principle that we want what we paid for.

Can I presume that if you have them print them there is also an additional charge?

Of course. They give you a "discount" on the price of the digital if you buy the printed one. I think if you bought the print, the digital was $5 (but not 100% sure of amount) to be unlocked instead of the usual credit fee. Someone in our group had a deal or something for a couple of prints, but in order to get that same photo unlocked on the CD, had to pay that fee. Kind of ridiculous given the amount this all costs.

You don't get any little proof sheet with the cd so it is the honor system that they provide you with a cd with all your photos you paid for unlocked.

I wish they included a proof sheet like that, since it would also help you verify before leaving the ship that they gave you the right CD. I've heard way too many stories (including from family on our same sailing) that they got home, put in the CD, and it wasn't even their photos.

• 2 months later...
Am I the only one who finds these packages shockingly expensive?

Yes, I do! I was on Explorer in October and it was 10 or 11 nights - the entire package of all prints and a disc was $350. Still expensive? Yup. But we had hundreds and hundreds of photos and all the prints to go with it.

Why does Quantums pictures demand a higher price?