Majesty Summer 2015

We're going on The Majesty Hellenic Classic cruise for seven nights June 2015 and I've got a couple of questions.

We've booked a Deluxe Balcony cabin but I can't seem to find out much info on these cabins, has anyone stayed in one?

Will many people dress up in DJ and dresses for the formal nights?

And finally, is it worth pre booking excursions before we go or wait to book on the ship. Or even try to sort out our own excursions.

Itinerary is,

Mykonos Town

Kusadasi (Turkey)

Piraeus (for Athens)

Chania (Crete)

Kalamata (Greece)

Thanks Neil.

We're going on The Majesty Hellenic Classic cruise for seven nights June 2015 and I've got a couple of questions.

We've booked a Deluxe Balcony cabin but I can't seem to find out much info on these cabins, has anyone stayed in one?

Will many people dress up in DJ and dresses for the formal nights?

And finally, is it worth pre booking excursions before we go or wait to book on the ship. Or even try to sort out our own excursions.

Itinerary is,

Mykonos Town

Kusadasi (Turkey)

Piraeus (for Athens)

Chania (Crete)

Kalamata (Greece)

Thanks Neil.

Hi Neil,

We did part of your itinerary last year. Mykonos is easy to get off and wander. Kusadasi, the same, unless you want to go to Ephesus and I think then it is best to do a ship's trip. In Piraeus there are open top buses right by the port, just turn left as you come out of the terminal building, under a tunnel and there will be buses there. City Sightseeing takes you to the Acropolis on one bus, then you can get another to take you around Athens. €20 each covers both routes. (the website says €22 but it is cheaper for cruise passengers as you are only there for one day)

http://www.citysightseeing.gr/

I believe there is also a bus running from Piraeus to Athens for about €8, but someone else will know more about that.

Sorry can't help with the other two ports or balcony cabins.

Most people dress up for formal nights in either DJs or suits. If you don't want to you can use the buffet or pay extra restaurant that night

Hope this helps :)

Yes an express bus, the X80, picks up from outside the port and goes directly into Athens dropping you by Hadrian's Arch where the Thomson's 'Athens on Your Own' excursion stops and picks up. Or you can get off at Syntagma Square if you prefer - the Parliament building is just across the road there where they have the changing of the guard.

Cost is €4 return and the tickets are also valid for local buses in the city and the Metro too. It runs half hourly from 07.30 I believe but you can pick up details by doing a search for the X80 in Athens. It takes about 15/20 minutes depending on traffic conditions. Absolute bargain!

It's very easy to do Athens on your own as the Acropolis, Agora, Acropolis Museum, Plaka (old part of town with lovely atmosphere, shops and cafes) and even Syntagma Sq are all within easy walking distance of each other. It all depends whether you want a guide or a hoho with a commentary but it is easy to do DiY. (We downloaded a free Rick Steve's audio guide of the Acropolis which worked well for us - we could walk around where we wanted in our own time rather than being tied to a group.)

Edited by kruzseeka

Yes an express bus, the X80, picks up from outside the port and goes directly into Athens dropping you by Hadrian's Arch where the Thomson's 'Athens on Your Own' excursion stops and picks up. Or you can get off at Syntagma Square if you prefer - the Parliament building is just across the road there where they have the changing of the guard.

Cost is €4 return and the tickets are also valid for local buses in the city and the Metro too. It runs half hourly from 07.30 I believe but you can pick up details by doing a search for the X80 in Athens. It takes about 15/20 minutes depending on traffic conditions. Absolute bargain!

It's very easy to do Athens on your own as the Acropolis, Agora, Acropolis Museum, Plaka (old part of town with lovely atmosphere, shops and cafes) and even Syntagma Sq are all within easy walking distance of each other. It all depends whether you want a guide or a hoho with a commentary but it is easy to do DiY. (We downloaded a free Rick Steve's audio guide of the Acropolis which worked well for us - we could walk around where we wanted in our own time rather than being tied to a group.)

Thanks for the info I have got myself a notebook and I have started already started taking notes on how to save a few bob, just call me Mr Frugal! LOL

Thanks for the replies very helpful, I didn't relase that Athens would be so easy and cheap to do!

Glad people dress up as this will be our second cruise (Celebrity Equinox being our first) as we really enjoyed wearing our DJ and nice dress.

Still can't seem to find out much about the balcony cabins but I'll keep searching.

Have a look at these pictures, some are balcony cabins, all with the room numbers listed.

https://joeholiday2.shutterfly.com/pictures/1840

http://www.tomsportguides.com/portguides.html

Is a cracking website for researching your own trips. You can put the PDF's on a smartphone or tablet and look whilst you are away. The ports of call forums on this website are great too.

The X80 is a great service, used it last October, just make sure you get your €4 ticket from the kiosk next to the HOHO buses pick up from then the bus stop is only across the road.

If you want to do Ephesus then as Linda says the ships tour is recommended, it's around £35-40 for the half day one I think.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Runner, we did that same cruise last week. The ship left Corfu on the Friday, Saturday was the sea day and the Captains Night was held then. It is usually held on the day at sea.

Thanks, guessed it was the Saturday but just wanted to make sure.