Best to do in Nassau

karkee8807

Hubby and I taking a last minute cruise on the 1st to Freeport and Nassau. He has never been to the Bahamas and I have never been to Freeport. We are planning on going to the Grand Lucayan in Freeport. This is my 6th cruise, but first with Carnival.

I have been to Nassau twice. But that was in 2002 and 2006. We plan on walking about the downtown area but I would like to do something else. I am not impressed with the Nassau excursions that Carnival offers for Nassau. I know the straw market isn't what it used to be. I do plan on stopping at the Tortuga rum cake shop if that is still open. In 2002 my family and I shopped and wondered the newly built Atlantis. In 2006 we shopped and went to something called or around the name of Black Beards Cay booked though Royal.

We are only there 8-5. I am frustrated with my recent experiences with Royal which is why we decided to give Carnival a try.

What would you recommend that is affordable and fun and relaxing? A few hours at the beach would be great, but all the day passes are more then I am willing to spend for a few hours.

Thank you!!!

We have done several day passes at the Melia (formerly Sheraton) on Cable Beach. We don't do the all-inclusive. We have a big breakfast and a snack at the Melia and an early dinner on the ship.

The Melia has big pools and a long stretch of beach. See the website photos.

We took a van cab there from the pier for only $5 pp.

There are other good day passes- like the British Colonial Hilton which includes a food voucher and is more expensive.